Fixed blade, open cary knifes.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I am playing with the idea of a fixed blade open cary knife. Anyone here cary a fixed blade knife as a daily?

I am left handed and im guessing that may be even more of a pain in the fixed blade arena than it is in the folding world? I dont want to have a custom sheath made.

Must be comfortable all day. In the car bending over ext.

Over all durability is most important. Im not really even looking for a super steel, D2 or such is fine. I want a steel that is sharpenable in the field.

Blade length between 3.5 and 5 inches.

My current every day carry pocket knife is a "Mircotech Ultratech" and I like it VERY much. In fact it is probably my favorite to date. With that said it does show a few weakness during everday hard use.

My work is very dirty. Im in dirt, grease, sand what ever and my knife is working in the same environment. The OTF (out the front) blade action is great for one hand use in awkward situations. BUT it doesn't always work due to grit, trash, sand, pocket lint, what ever.

That sucks. When I want my knife, I want it.
Fix blade solves that.

The dual action OTF is super handy at work.
"CLICK" blade out. Cut what ever with one hand while using the other hand above my head. "CLICK" blade gone. Slide knife back in pocket and left hand is back working.

Im pretty sure I could pull the knife out of the sheath while working but I imagine putting it away, one handed, with out looking takes a lot of time and practice.

Lastly the edge profile and blade steel of the Microtech is just not right for hard use.
I cut a lot of boxes, zip ties, hoses, what ever.

While i mostly use the fully serrated side of the blade the smooth edged side still ends up dull and it is a paint to sharpen that steel and micro bevel edge....

So a nice fix blade, with 60-40 serrated blade.
Left hand scout carry for the ultra bonus.

Lets see what you got, or what you like.

Thank you.

If I'm going to carry a knife I want something to be proud of. You asked what I like, I like a big super sharp knife that opens itself and hides well. It's probably not what you're looking for but I love it!! In this video I accidentally had the knife clipped to my pocket so it pulled on my pants a little. If I hadn't had the clip hooked up it would have pulled out much easier. I can do another video.

Here's a pic with the clip hooked onto my pants.

DSC08355.JPG

Here it is just resting in my pocket with the blade closed. When you pull the knife out of you pocket the thumb catch gets caught on your pocket as you pull the knife out and it automatically opens the blade like in the video, quicker than a snake bite!!!:

DSC08353.JPG

Last edited:
I have been carrying a leatherman for 20 years. Im lost without it. Just replaced it at christmas, and i have to modify it, this dam thing takes 2 hands to open now. My old one broke the screwdriver, and my wife broke 1/4” off the tip of the knife.

Thanks!

I believe that design is called a "wave folder" i cant remember what that action is called? Anyone remember?

Im having issues posting pics but this is the Microtech I carry.
Microtech Ultratech Distressed Turquoise Double Edge OTF Knife Apocalyptic Full Serrated Blade 122-12 DTQ

It is lightning quick, when it works.....
I love the color, blade shape, hand feel, the way it carries in my pocke, the clip, everything about it is excellent.

Its just not fully suited to the use im putting on it.

Lets be honest, I have a love affair with good knifes so no hard feelings here.

Strap a K-bar across your chest like we did in corps. lol
I carry my K-bar when hunting in case I'm surprised by a moose. lol

Btw, the latest leatherman i got is definitely the sharpest i have ever had. Like a new utility knife blade.

Wouldn't do you any good??? Here's a TRUE story: I had a friend who shot a buck. The buck went down and my friend approached the buck to make sure it was dead. My friend could see the wound in the deer's chest so he poked it with his rifle, the buck jumped up at him knocking the rifle out of his hands. My friend had to grab onto the buck's antlers to keep from getting stabbed. The buck kept jumping and kicking and all my friend could do was hold on to the antlers....he was too scared to let go. After a few seconds of getting beat to death by the antlers against his ribs and chest he remembered that he had his hunting knife on his belt. He managed to get the knife out and started trying to stab the buck in the neck and ribs as he held on for dear (no pun) life. My friend trained to be a Navy seal so he wasn't a weakling. He said that he couldn't get the blade into the animal at all. He said it was trying to stab a tree limb. He said that he now knows that when an animal is all pumped up and wounded and struggling for life their muscles are hard as a rock. The deer eventually threw my friend free and the deer ran off. My friend had bruised ribs and bruises all over his stomach for over a week. He told me to NEVER EVER try to kill a live, wounded animal with a knife. I don't think a Moose would be any easier!!! My friend was fearless and would never back down from anything but he met his match that day.

Wouldn't do you any good??? Here's a TRUE story: I had a friend who shot a buck. The buck went down and my friend approached the buck to make sure it was dead. My friend could see the wound in the deer's chest so he poked it with his rifle, the buck jumped up at him knocking the rifle out of his hands. My friend had to grab onto the buck's antlers to keep from getting stabbed. The buck kept jumping and kicking and all my friend could do was hold on to the antlers....he was too scared to let go. After a few seconds of getting beat to death by the antlers against his ribs and chest he remembered that he had his hunting knife on his belt. He managed to get the knife out and started trying to stab the buck in the neck and ribs as he held on for dear (no pun) life. My friend trained to be a Navy seal so he wasn't a weakling. He said that he couldn't get the blade into the animal at all. He said it was trying to stab a tree limb. He said that he now knows that when an animal is all pumped up and wounded and struggling for life their muscles are hard as a rock. The deer eventually threw my friend free and the deer ran off. My friend had bruised ribs and bruises all over his stomach for over a week. He told me to NEVER EVER try to kill a live, wounded animal with a knife. I don't think a Moose would be any easier!!! My friend was fearless and would never back down from anything but he met his match that day.
A K-bar on the hip and he could have opened up the animal’s jugular like a hot knife through butter (pun intended). He had the antlers, so getting the neck opened could have been an easy transition to make. Well, relatively easy under the circumstances

Stabbing won’t get it....bleeding them out always will.

Been carrying this daily since about 1985.

It's a made in USA Western W77. It's been used for poking,prodding,prying, and all the other things knives are used for, and is still serving me well.

They can still be found on eBay in nice shape for reasonable prices.

6B35962B-423D-459D-8B85-A316F74AD69D.jpeg

I bought a "modern" Ka bar for the father in law. Its got the G10 Scales (fancy plastic) is D2 steel and pretty dang nice.
Fun fact, the Name "ka bar" was adopted after the knife maker received a letter from a customer who used his knife to "k a bar". Translation, "kill a bear", the kife maker was so pleased with the letter he adopted the saying for his brand name.

now you know and knowing is half the battle.

A K-bar on the hip and he could have opened up the animal’s jugular like a hot knife through butter (pun intended). He had the antlers, so getting the neck opened could have been an easy transition to make. Well, relatively easy under the circumstances

Stabbing won’t get it....bleeding them out always will.
If you’ve ever skinned a mature buck you would understand the trouble the guy in the story had. The hide on their necks is extremely thick and the muscles are like rocks from all the fighting that they do during the rutting season. Is very difficult to penetrate the skin of a mature buck with anything but a razor sharp knife, and even then there is nothing easy about it. A human would be like a marshmallow in comparison.

Hunter
I carry this model in the woods but have often thought it would make a terrific daily knife. It is very high quality and maintains an edge very well. If I were to daily carry it I would modify the sheath to mount it horizontally across the small of my back attached to my belt. The sheath on my knife does not have a snap strap retainer but it is “fitted” to the knife and is a interference fit. They make other models that would probably be more carry friendly.

Hunter
I carry this model in the woods but have often thought it would make a terrific daily knife. It is very high quality and maintains an edge very well. If I were to daily carry it I would modify the sheath to mount it horizontally across the small of my back attached to my belt. The sheath on my knife does not have a snap strap retainer but it is “fitted” to the knife and is a interference fit. They make other models that would probably be more carry friendly.

I`ve thot about carrying one , and have a good one , but it would compete for a place w/ my pistola . Guess which one I`d rather have in any situation .

Hunter

Boker makes a fine knife. I dont own one yet but my cousin bought the "urban trapper" for his wife and it is VERY nice.

Horizontal (scout) style is my preferred method of carrying a fixed blade but it is by far the least common sheath configuration and left hand scout carry is basically non existent.

I may start looking into custom sheath makers.

I lile the idea of a soft rubber handle?
Its not a sexy knife but it looks like it knows how to work.
Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty - Camping Fixed Blade | Black + Orange

This is the only 60-40 blade i have seen so far. I have a love / hate relationship with kydex sheaths. When im out on the boat, paddleboarding, camping or swimming i carry a small light fixed blade in a kydex sheath and it dose well in the water but its not the most comfortable to wear all day

ESEE Knives ESEE-3MIL-S-BLK Knife Black G-10 & MOLLE Back (3.88" Black Serr) - Blade HQ

This one seems to be the winner as far as lookimg nice, sturdy, not too expensive.

Bradford Knives Guardian3 Fixed Blade G-Wood (False Edge/N690/Nimbus) - Blade HQ

This one i like the fine tip for getting under zip ties and digging out metal slivers. I also enjoy the "fancy" look of the wood handle.
I am a bit worried that its going back to a knife not suited to hard use and may be a bit too delicate?

Bark River Donnybrook Fixed Blade Knife Burgundy Canvas Micarta (3.75" Satin) - Blade HQ

This one meets just about each aspect except it is jist a bit to tactical looking and the tip point sucks. It sure looks like it can take a beating tho.

Extrema Ratio Defender Fixed Blade Knife Black Forprene (4" Black) - Blade HQ

All these knifes were just plucked off blade hq. Now i think I will go to each companys website and look over their catalog.

Looks lile no matter what i buy, Im gonna have to have the sheath custom made.

Thanks for all the input and ideas. If you got any more ideas please let me know.

if id carry a fixed blade, why not truly be prepared?

View attachment 1715698119

Oh DIY and your communist ways....
Bayonet lugs are a felony in Ca. Having the blade attached... , not sure but get mo probably.... folding stock, felony, "extended capacity" magazine, felony.

And while its technically a fixed blade, the stock makes it a folder. Stay on course man!

:rofl::poke::thumbsup::usflag:

Oh DIY and your communist ways....
Bayonet lugs are a felony in Ca. Having the blade attached... , not sure but get mo probably.... folding stock, felony, "extended capacity" magazine, felony.

And while its technically a fixed blade, the stock makes it a folder. Stay on course man!

:rofl::poke::thumbsup::usflag:
In the words of a local terrorist (or I'm sure that is how the people Republic of commiefornia labels him) Thomas Jefferson
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty"

I am playing with the idea of a fixed blade open cary knife. Anyone here cary a fixed blade knife as a daily?

I am left handed and im guessing that may be even more of a pain in the fixed blade arena than it is in the folding world? I dont want to have a custom sheath made.

Must be comfortable all day. In the car bending over ext.

Over all durability is most important. Im not really even looking for a super steel, D2 or such is fine. I want a steel that is sharpenable in the field.

Blade length between 3.5 and 5 inches.

My current every day carry pocket knife is a "Mircotech Ultratech" and I like it VERY much. In fact it is probably my favorite to date. With that said it does show a few weakness during everday hard use.

My work is very dirty. Im in dirt, grease, sand what ever and my knife is working in the same environment. The OTF (out the front) blade action is great for one hand use in awkward situations. BUT it doesn't always work due to grit, trash, sand, pocket lint, what ever.

That sucks. When I want my knife, I want it.
Fix blade solves that.

The dual action OTF is super handy at work.
"CLICK" blade out. Cut what ever with one hand while using the other hand above my head. "CLICK" blade gone. Slide knife back in pocket and left hand is back working.

Im pretty sure I could pull the knife out of the sheath while working but I imagine putting it away, one handed, with out looking takes a lot of time and practice.

Lastly the edge profile and blade steel of the Microtech is just not right for hard use.
I cut a lot of boxes, zip ties, hoses, what ever.

While i mostly use the fully serrated side of the blade the smooth edged side still ends up dull and it is a paint to sharpen that steel and micro bevel edge....

So a nice fix blade, with 60-40 serrated blade.
Left hand scout carry for the ultra bonus.

Lets see what you got, or what you like.

Thank you.

You could make one out of old leaf spring steel. It has enough carbon in it for heat treating so it holds an edge, and you get to make a knife that works best for you. Just an idea, although I understand you probably want one you can buy without the hassle of making it.

I met a guy who made some sweet knifes and that forged in fire show makes me want to try but for now probably best i let the professionals do it.

If anyone here makes knifes or sheaths please let me know. Id much rather give my cash to a real person than some big company.

Plus do i really need another expensive hobby?

There are tons of independent knife makers out there. A good friend & my former company commander made me a drop point sheath knife years ago, it's a cherished possession of mine because he has since passed away. I wish I could have gotten some of the other knives he made, unfortunately his drug addled son pawned the for his meth habit.

That is a shame. A good friend of mine passed a few years back. He had a lot of expensive cars and trucks as well as a kid on drugs. It still hurts when I think about his truck and what his kid did with it.

I would very much enjoy a custom knife and have thought about it off and on for years. Some day I'm sure i will own one. This knife will be for use in the shop. I have other 'going out" or "Sunday" knifes.
:lol:

I believe I saw a member here use the word "Toolery" and as a man I fully understand what he was saying.
:rofl:

As mich as I told my self i wasn't gonna buy another "tactical" knife the Extrema Ratio knifes look outstanding. Im looking at their web site and man, They make what looks to be a quality product.

Nice collection.

My collection consists mainly of folders but I own a few fixed. I haven't carried a fixed blade regularly since scouts. At work a good solid fixed blade seems to make the most sense.

I do love a quaint blade in any form.

Heres one i am seriously looking at.

FULCRUM C BLACK | Extrema Ratio Knives Division

While yes, it is billed as a "tactical" combat knife its solid form, rubber handle, ambidextrous sheath , 60-40 serrated blade with a "mild" steal starts checking off a lot of boxes for me....

If it was a drop point, didn't have the upper finger gaurd and had a left handed leather sheath I would sold.

-
Back