Fl. DMV won' transfer a clean open title to me.

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm going thru a similar hassle with a 70 Duster I bought with a clean Fl. title in the mans name I bought it from. I take it to Tag office to transfer the title. No the woman says. It was purchased from a guy in NY. Before 1973, NY was a non title state. The guy I bought it from had a NY tag registration and Bill of sale. He was issued a Fl tittle to the car on 6/2018. But apparently the guy in NY re registered the car in 7/2018 which makes it the most legal document! I and the guy I bought it from have been fighting to get it fixed for 2 months. NY needs to take it out of their system before they can issue me a title!

D184DCA2-6874-469F-9DCE-A39E8FAF6BF8.jpeg

15FF79FB-77FA-4483-B97C-0960A8048ED9.png

99A5D966-98F3-43DE-A29F-EE1BD2091292.jpeg

Well I have the guys name in NY. I have someone trying to locate him. Is a shame it even has the original 318 in it.

I wonder why he re registered it? Nice car. Worth the effort and wait for the paperwork. I wonder if a lawyer could get it done quick...

NY DMV automatically sends the registration renewal to the registered owner prior to the expiration date. He/She may have inadvertently registered it as NY DMV will suspend your driver's license depending on the circumstances if the owner lets the insurance lapse. I bet if you contact the NY owner he/she will be glad to get it out of their name as it can be a liability.

NY DMV automatically sends the registration renewal to the registered owner prior to the expiration date. He/She may have inadvertently registered it as NY DMV will suspend your driver's license depending on the circumstances if the owner lets the insurance lapse. I bet if you contact the NY owner he/she will be glad to get it out of their name as it can be a liability.
Now my question is WHY didn't NY DMV computers show that that VIN number was already title in Fl. when they renewed that tag registration?

That's not how it works. FL sends NY a request for a clear title when a someone wants to transfer an out of state title/registration. This request is momentary. If the NY owner subsequently renews the NY registration (a month later) it ginks up the process. We can speculate why it was registered it after it was sold but that won't solve anything. In a perfect world it would've have been removed from NY system but the NY owner presented a valid NY registration renewal and caused the issue. It's got nothing to do with how "swift" the government is in NY.

That's not how it works. FL sends NY a request for a clear title when a someone wants to transfer an out of state title/registration. This request is momentary. If the NY owner subsequently renews the NY registration (a month later) it ginks up the process. We can speculate why it was registered it after it was sold but that won't solve anything. In a perfect world it would've have been removed from NY system but the NY owner presented a valid NY registration renewal and caused the issue. It's got nothing to do with how "swift" the government is in NY.
Well I know it took about a minute for the girl here at the Fl DMV's computer to recognize the fact that the registration was renewed in NY in July. So why didn't NY computers catch that this VIN number was already title in Fl in June?

"I bet" this is pretty simple but it doesn't help the new owner. The origiinal owner had some kind of car, who knows what. That car had a problem, no title, no legal registration, whatever. So the guy took his previously owned Duster reg and tags and renewed them and then hung those tags on whatever this car was that he had

"I bet" this is pretty simple but it doesn't help the new owner. The origiinal owner had some kind of car, who knows what. That car had a problem, no title, no legal registration, whatever. So the guy took his previously owned Duster reg and tags and renewed them and then hung those tags on whatever this car was that he had
Well that is kind of what I was thinking. But again I ask why didn't the NY DMV computers catch the fact that it was already titled in FL? there by negating the ability to renew that registration?

As I mentioned this is not a perfect system so the NY owner is the cause of the issue. The records are not updated immediately unfortunately.

Why dont you contact NYS DMV and request a Vehicle Registration Abstract record for $10. You may also be able to find someone who will assist you in the matter.

Why dont you contact NYS DMV and request a Vehicle Registration Abstract record for $10. You may also be able to find someone who will assist you in the matter.
We Have been trying for 2 months to contact NY DMV. The title office even alerted Tallahassee DMV. NY will not return a call. The man I bought it from has been trying To contact NY DMV with no luck. I should say we have left messages that they will not return.

Title Services Bureau
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. weekdays (except Wednesdays and state holidays)
1-518-486-4714

This sounds like something a shotgun and a few days in jail needs to handle.

Bonded titles are new in FL and can only be used on a vehicle that was last titled in FL.

IMO that's a crazy stipulation- how are we to know if a vehicle without a title was last titled in FL.....since it doesn't have a title?

Bonded titles are new in FL and can only be used on a vehicle that was last titled in FL.

IMO that's a crazy stipulation- how are we to know if a vehicle without a title was last titled in FL.....since it doesn't have a title?
Well I wonder if this will work for me? It was titled in Fl on 6/2018?

-
Back