Flared Rear Drums

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question about my rear brake drums. This 8 3/4 came out of my 1972 Duster 340. Are these flared rear drums stock or an old after market upgrade? Does anyone else have rear drums like these? There are no images online of these drums that I can find. This is the only pic I have. Just curious. Thanks.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 441
Original, 70-72 10 inch rear drums, I believe the flare was for extra cooling. Original rear drums had a coil spring stretched around the drum for the same purpose?

Yes, factory drums. I've always called them "bell drums"

I have the bells on my duster
10 inch drums on a 8 3/4 I was told came from a 66 dart

I like them, gives you more room to bang on them with a hammer if they don't want to come off ;)

The "Big Bells" were original Kelsey - Hayes -- beautiful design -- keeps all moisture out. Remember, Kelsey-Hayes was in Canada, where they get a lot of snow north of the border, eh?, and that was their purpose (not cooling -- no cooling fins)...
They are IMPOSSIBLE to find NEW.... I do have a few last USA Made Brake Drums
(10" x 1 3/4" SBP) and some N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes (not many remaining -- after Chryslers @ Carlisle and the Mopar Nats.......)

Original, 70-72 10 inch rear drums, I believe the flare was for extra cooling. Original rear drums had a coil spring stretched around the drum for the same purpose?

rear drums never had a spring around them, only fronts. it was not for cooling, those springs were anti-chatter springs.

I have a 72 dodge dart. Original 318 with 71-4 rear 10" brakes and I have the bell type drums or flared that is original on my car.

-
Back