Flattened a leaf.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I also have this posted in the racing group but want as much info as I can get.

Took the race car out for breakfast today.

After leaving I was pulling out into traffic got straight and nailed the throttle.
All was well, got home and notice the driver side of the car is sitting 3 or 4 inches lower than the passenger side..

Looking under the car the driver side leaf looks flat and the rear spring eye is all the way to the rear of the slider.

What do you think happened, why and how to stop this happening again?
Arched spring.
20181125_110600_zpsu47ec2qp.jpg

Flat spring.
20181125_110538_zps55bevgyb.jpg

20181125_135903_zpsiicwp4t7.jpg

That's a pretty cool set up, the sliding spring shackle.
Looks like you're pretty good welder.
How about some plates that fits inside the ribs that look like key stock.
That should limit any movement when you mash it down.

image.jpeg

Thanks.

That would pretty much make the slider useless. The spring needs to slide forward on launch.

I’m betting the slider made hard contact on the end of the slot in the housing. I’m thinking when you disconnect the bolt you’ll see contact indication. When I researched installing the sliders it was recommended to have the bushing bolt biased about 3/4 of the way to the back of the slot. Out of curiosity did the car rise or squat on the rear suspension?

I’m betting the slider made hard contact on the end of the slot in the housing. I’m thinking when you disconnect the bolt you’ll see contact indication. When I researched installing the sliders it was recommended to have the bushing bolt biased about 3/4 of the way to the back of the slot. Out of curiosity did the car rise or squat on the rear suspension?

The first picture has the rear spring eye located properly. It’s maxed out in the second shot because of the damage to the spring, that reverse arch changed the length of the spring.

Are those Mopar Performance sourced springs by any chance?

They are MOPAR brand SS 02 03 springs from summit.

Couldn't say if it rose or squatted, I was to busy driving with it being the first time that deep into the throttle.

If those springs are the SS springs from Mexico, there was a bad batch from there a few years ago. Maybe leftovers?

That is crazy. Time to buy new leafs?
When I first saw the photos i was sure the sliders were in a bind. That is a really cool design

They are at least a few years old more like 5+ years. Long enough that I dont remember when I put em on. This was the first time they got hit with any power tho. The car was a gutless 318, 2.73 peg leg.

Now it's a fully built 360, 4.88 spool.

If those springs are the SS springs from Mexico, there was a bad batch from there a few years ago. Maybe leftovers?

All the MP springs have been made in Mexico for years now. Seems like there’s been a recent change in the manufacturing though, the quality has really dropped off.

My main concern is buying a new one and having another failure right away.

Remember this happened from a roll, this was not a dead hook launch.

When this thing hooks its gonna be a lot more hurt put into the springs....

All the MP springs have been made in Mexico for years now. Seems like there’s been a recent change in the manufacturing though, the quality has really dropped off.

And here I thought the quality had sucked from the start of the Mexico springs. You mean it's gotten worse? Aren't the Mancini springs supposed to be good? Maybe that's a viable alternative.

E0573898-6C81-47BA-8B47-5B47E997236B.jpeg
I was looking at the passenger side in this photo. If you look at the area the large washer rides and where the roller travels to on it’s “rail” they both look close to bottoming in the travel. That’s why I had thought maybe the drivers side had bottomed.

Dont the spring get shorter under power?

I though they only grow going over a bump?

On the other thread you were asking about slapper bars? Yes I do run traction bars and on my passenger side I've stocked up extra metal because of the bigger spring on that side. So it's not slapping so hard that yet has a little bit of travel for the street that quickly tags the spring when under load. before I did that it did hang down quite low and yes it did slap and bang and I didn't like that. Also I knew that wasn't the way to control what I needed. Also those safety straps have fish plates on them that perform that little extra clamping.
The funny thing is the car should rise not squat.
As far as my batch I got mine 3 maybe four Christmases ago. My wife got them for me and the delivery man only delivered one and she said isn't there two? He had a surprised look on his face and took off for about 10 minutes and came back with the other one.
IMG_20181125_180226.jpg

Wasn’t trying to muddy the waters, just trying to learn something. To me the body torque is going to flatten the passenger spring drivers side will arch. But as stated just trying to learn.

I'm not trying to add to trouble shooting the spring problem, but I have a (educate me) question. I've never seen this type of leaf spring application. (old school here) What is advantage to having the leaf springs on a sliding shackle?
Norm

In this picture you can see that half inch aluminum block that I made to go in front of the front Leaf perch. It moved the tires back that half inch that I needed to Center the tires in the wheel wells. I just bought some grade 8 bolts for them that were a half inch longer.
IMG_20181125_180215.jpg

The slider reduces wheel hop. When the spring is changing lengths it dont move through the arc of the shackle.

@j par
I moved my axle back an inch and a half because that's where it needed to be for the size tire I'm running.

-
Back