Flowmaster Flowfx sound on 340

-

RyanSipat

MoPar Nub
Reaction score
Just decided to post the sound of these puppies idling. They have that typical straight through sound, with a sound level of 83db at idle, measured 25 inches away from the tailpipes ( recorded on google pixel 3 XL, sound meter app). They drone at cruise but not as bad as the 40s I had. Those were good times though. The car sounded pretty rowdy at 750rpm, but the T-slots were completely covered (also maxed out on secondary adjustment).

'69 340
-x-heads 2.02/1.6 valves
-Keith Black hyper pistons
-purple shaft 284/484
TTI headers + H-pipe + tailpipe (2.5in)
- Flowmaster Flowfx straight through muffler (2.5)
-LD340 manifold
-Holley Brawler 750DP (stock specs but 3.5pv)
-msd 6al
-msd e-curve distributor (14/34, all in 2500).
-autolite 65 (.044 gap)
-idle speed : 900rpm
-sound DB at idle, 25 inches away from
-tailpipe: 83db

I put flowmasters on one of my A body cars. I hated them. They sounded good outside the car but it droned so bad inside it sounded like a helicopter was in my back seat.

Nice sound. That cam always has a nice rolling lope.

Sounds good, how's it run, drone at all? 65'
It has quite the bassy drone at 3k rpm, my phone can't seem to pick up the bass though. Doesn't seem to rattle my falling apart headliner as well as other rattles, but it does sound bassy. For me it's livable (use to it) as my other non-mopar vehicles drone just as bad with magnaflow and borla. I'm also missing the cardboard behind the rear seats...maybe it would drone less. Also has 2 6x9 holes for speakers at the back, with no speakers installed. Here's a video of her running at 3k rpm at idle. Also will include a cold start around 750 rpm with a couple of revs in the 2nd video. 3rd video is for sound purposes only, as I'm still trying to get a go pro and mount for the footage. I babied second gear, because I'm still new at shifting a " real car" and did not want to mustang my pride and joy into a street lamp. All 3 videos, car was still at 20/35 advance and not 14/34.

My recommendation would be to run it out the *** end with some nice exhaust tips. Should reduce your droning. 65'

I'm ready to find some stock mufflers, flowmaster, dynamax, pipes to the tail, doesn't matter. The drone in my 418 Dart at 55mph (3.55's) will deafen you till it hurts. My other Dart , stock 318, (3.55's), with dual dynmax is OK at 55mph, but at 40 mph, forget about it. Definitely going to a stock mufflers with it.
Has anyone tried the 180° pipe on the tail pipe with a cap ?

I have a set of stock Walkers on mine run all the way back. Sounds amazing with no droning. 65'

Which 284 Mopar cam is that the old 106 lobe separation or the new 112 or whatever it is? I run flowmaster 40s with 5 ft of 3inc straight pipes and turn Downs no real droning just loud as hell LOL dogs howl cats run I get a lot of thumbs up and a few pissy faces but I will say when I fuel everybody looks like it or not.

Walkers it will be, after reading testimonials of people like me that were tired of the drone.

Walkers it will be, after reading testimonials of people like me that were tired of the drone.
Cruze, try a set of these. 2.5" in and out, offer inlet, center outlet and they should quiet it down.
Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers 21856

Which 284 Mopar cam is that the old 106 lobe separation or the new 112 or whatever it is? I run flowmaster 40s with 5 ft of 3inc straight pipes and turn Downs no real droning just loud as hell LOL dogs howl cats run I get a lot of thumbs up and a few pissy faces but I will say when I fuel everybody looks like it or not.
It came off of my uncle's small block roadrunner in the late 70's early 80's. I think it's 108 LSA. I had a picture of the part number somewhere I believe. Wish I could recall the # from the top of my head, but I installed the cam over a decade ago. Yeah, the 40's were pretty awesome when I had them on the car (8 months ago or so). You can really hear the cam with those chambers. My friends could hear me rev matching a few street blocks away before entering the plaza. Random folks and friends thought it had a big block with the 40s on.

Just messin around with different mufflers to hear how they sound. The next cans I want to try out are the Spintech, walker, and the Pypes mufflers.

Ryan, you need one of our CDs we made with muffler sounds! Silent Power.

These are the ones we tested and recorded, for the most part. Some are not on the CD as we did not have them in time to record them..
I have all the part numbers for each. I thought you'd enjoy seeing all the variations in one list. You've seen the data on the internet for many years and I have the originals if interested.
Tom

"Turbo" and HEMI-sized mufflers:
Allied IronTuff “Tuff Compact”
Allied IronTuff “Tuff Truck”
Dynomax “Super Turbo”
Dynomax “Super Turbo”
Dynomax “Ultra-Flo”
Dynomax “Welded Ultra-Flo”
Flowmaster 50 Series “Delta Flow”
Flowmaster 40 Series “2 Chamber”
FlowTech “Terminator”
FlowTech “Afterburner”
FlowTech Raptor
Hooker “AeroChamber”
Midas “Ravin’”
Spin-Tech (early version)
Straightline Performance (AKA Magnaflow)
Straightline Performance
Straightline Performance (baffled)
Super Turbo Large Body, SS
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded (3" x 2.5", Exp.)
Spin-Tech Sportsman Street
Straightline Performance

Crossflow Muffler Name:"
Allied IronTuff SD Crossflow
Allied IronTuff SD Crossflow w/baffle
Dynomax SD (Exp.) 2.25" Crossflow
Flowmaster 80 Series Crossflow

OEM Muffler Name:
IPC Huth "Turbo' Corvair

Aftermarket Replacement:
Dynomax: baseline (compare to # 11)
ArvinMeritor Cherry Bomb Vortex
Goerlich's Xlerator

These are the ones we tested and recorded, for the most part. Some are not on the CD as we did not have them in time to record them..
I have all the part numbers for each. I thought you'd enjoy seeing all the variations in one list. You've seen the data on the internet for many years and I have the originals if interested.
Tom

"Turbo" and HEMI-sized mufflers:
Allied IronTuff “Tuff Compact”
Allied IronTuff “Tuff Truck”
Dynomax “Super Turbo”
Dynomax “Super Turbo”
Dynomax “Ultra-Flo”
Dynomax “Welded Ultra-Flo”
Flowmaster 50 Series “Delta Flow”
Flowmaster 40 Series “2 Chamber”
FlowTech “Terminator”
FlowTech “Afterburner”
FlowTech Raptor
Hooker “AeroChamber”
Midas “Ravin’”
Spin-Tech (early version)
Straightline Performance (AKA Magnaflow)
Straightline Performance
Straightline Performance (baffled)
Super Turbo Large Body, SS
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded (3" x 2.5", Exp.)
Spin-Tech Sportsman Street
Straightline Performance

Crossflow Muffler Name:"
Allied IronTuff SD Crossflow
Allied IronTuff SD Crossflow w/baffle
Dynomax SD (Exp.) 2.25" Crossflow
Flowmaster 80 Series Crossflow

OEM Muffler Name:
IPC Huth "Turbo' Corvair

Aftermarket Replacement:
Dynomax: baseline (compare to # 11)
ArvinMeritor Cherry Bomb Vortex
Goerlich's Xlerator

I would like to hear all of these on that CD. What's a guy gotta do to hear such greatness? I am in.

Ryan, I'll see if I have one of the originals we sold so many of and if not, I'll find a CD and burn another one or two. Tom Hand

Just changed the mufflers on my 340 Sport. The Summit turbos that came with the exhaust kit sounded OK from outside the car but had terrible drone inside. I went with Dynomax Super Turbos, 14" long on a 2 1/2 inch system. I also added an H pipe, using the Summit H-pipe kit. BTW, that kit is great if anyone wants to add an H-pipe. Here's the result at idle in the cold, humid air.

Just changed the mufflers on my 340 Sport. The Summit turbos that came with the exhaust kit sounded OK from outside the car but had terrible drone inside. I went with Dynomax Super Turbos, 14" long on a 2 1/2 inch system. I also added an H pipe, using the Summit H-pipe kit. BTW, that kit is great if anyone wants to add an H-pipe. Here's the result at idle in the cold, humid air.

Sounds bad ***! I bet it growls amazing with the pedal down. Did the super turbos cure the drone that you had with the summit turbos? Do you have any wide open throttle videos for the super turbos? Also, where did you buy those muffler tips if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds bad ***! I bet it growls amazing with the pedal down. Did the super turbos cure the drone that you had with the summit turbos? Do you have any wide open throttle videos for the super turbos? Also, where did you buy those muffler tips if you don't mind me asking?
There's still a bit of drone but much less than the Summit turbos. I'll try and get an in car once the weather clears up here. I bought the exhaust tips from Classic Industries, got the stainless rather than chrome.

Ryan, I'll try to get out and buy some CDs Saturday. No longer have blank ones here. :(

Burning one as we speak. It’ll set you back around $ 7 or so by the time I get it in a protector and through the USPS.

54 tracks and ready to roll. Send me a private message with your address and any other information I need.

Tom Hand

-
Back