Flywheel and bellhousing

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
Can a la flywheel work on a magnum engine, and if not will a magnum flywheel still work with the original bell housing.

318 or 360?
If 360 mag Mcleod makes a flywheel that has a bolt on weight for a mag.

Can a la flywheel work on a magnum engine, and if not will a magnum flywheel still work with the original bell housing.

Your question is ambiguous. In the older la engines, there are several flywheels, depending on early A with the small wheel and housing, or trucks which are larger, and whether it is balanced neutural for a 273/ 18/ 340 or whether it is weighted for a 360LA. A 5.9 magnum IS WEIGHTED DIFFERENTLY than a 360 LA This means you cannot use a 360LA weighted flywheel on either 5.2/ 5.9 magnum

FACTORY 5.9 magnum flywheels only came in 143 tooth, 11" clutch configurations for trucks. They will NOT fit an A body bell housing.
Aftermarket 130 tooth flywheels for the 5.9 are available to fit A body bellhousings that use the 10 1/2" clutch. HOWEVER, if you are trying to use the factory magnum fuel injection (you didn't say), you need a flywheel with the 8 triggers for the crank sensor. Most I have seen do not have these, and are intended for carbureted applications. The one I do know of that is compatible with injected 5.9s is this one: SCIENCE FRICTION Billet Steel Flywheel, SFI Quality, 130t/10.5", 360 Magnum, 6-bolt - American Powertrain
The rest, as far as I know, are for carbureted 5.9s.

PS- a competent automotive machine shop/engine builder should be able to rebalance a neutral balance LA flywheel for a 5.9 Magnum, too. (Carbureted).

Last edited:
-
Back