Flywheel Fun...

-
Think I just answered my own question, so if her flywheel, ain't Flat, that'll probably eat the new disc, well before it's time? Just kinda an educated guess..
I think it's probably FLAT from the look of it. It simply needs the glaze knocked off. But it'll work just fine as is. Stop thinkin so damned much. What we gonna do with you?

Hey Man, I'm a Carpenter, not a used car lot tech! Lol!!!! I'm not Messing
If you don't have a lathe in your garage, a D.A. with a Scotchbrite pad and plenty of brake cleaner is about your only option at 11 pm on Thanksgiving eve... or like Rusty said, just run it as is. Hell, it's an Amigo, fer cryin' out loud... :)
And you're better off, and safer too, just leaving it rather than trying to hand grind it. You really don't want to remove ANY material, just dress the surface or you'll be headed to chatter city.
Ok, understand, so the grooves in it don't matter that much, and the marks My Bro did with his angle grinder, didn't damage it enough? Lol.

Ok, understand, so the grooves in it don't matter that much, and the marks My Bro did with his angle grinder, didn't damage it enough? Lol.
Not gonna hurt a thing!

chit man, I wish you were local. We'd do some tradin around. I got a lot of carpentry stuff I need done.

Flex hone makes a dingle ball tool for rotors that might work, might be able to find a parts store that can order you one in overnight?

That or sandblast would be my first bets if you don't have a way to cut it evenly.

If it's not done well, worst case the clutch let's go as she's shifting down the on ramp and winds up roadside on some freeway. If there's lots of stop and go between home and the destination, I wouldn't hold much hope that it lasts with a "flat as I could hold it" grinder finish.

You might could spin the thing by getting handy with some ratchet straps and a jacked up rear end in-gear at idle.. Not that I'd recommend such shenanigans.
Ok, so it needs to be done right, as " a "Redneck Resurface" probably isn't gonna last. She's good people, but I don't wanna do it again, ever, it's an Amigo.... didn't want to do it at all, was trying to " help"... what fun. But Hey, it's Thanksgiving, I had time to help

chit man, I wish you were local. We'd do some tradin around. I got a lot of carpentry stuff I need done.
I may be, the Carpenter/ Drywall/ kitchen and bath/ Remodeling/ rot and heavy structural repair equivalent, of you, In Auto Mechanics/ Drivetrain/ Suspension/ and on, and on.. and I definitely am into Barter System. That's how it was in the old days... may go back that way sooner rather than later

I may be, the Carpenter/ Drywall/ kitchen and bath/ Remodeling equivalent, of you, In Auto Mechanics/ Drivetrain/ Suspension/ and on, and on.. and I definitely am into Barter System. That's how it was in the old days... may go back that way sooner rather than later
I enjoy that too. My problem is, and Kitty reminds me of it all the time, I constantly come out on the short end because I just enjoy helping people that much.

Man, just put the new clutch in it and let her rip! It'll be fine. I can't tell you how many times I've done it when I had no access to anything to even buff the flywheel with.

I enjoy that too. My problem is, and Kitty reminds me of it all the time, I constantly come out on the short end because I just enjoy helping people that much.

Man, just put the new clutch in it and let her rip! It'll be fine. I can't tell you how many times I've done it when I had no access to anything to even buff the flywheel with.
Agreed, I get the short end myself, I caint lose on this one, as she's broke. Barter is how I got my 66 I sold to get the Duster ( after the X Half killed it) every weekend, and day off for months... its An Amazing feeling to help folks, but if it's a labor trade, it's probably best everyone involved knows the entire deal...

Update: Thank All Yall that Responded! She's gonna hang here for Thanksgiving, and I'll Send It, by her daughter's birthday, on Sunday. Thanks Everyone, Happy Thanksgiving!

He could have, but then he'd have to finish it non directionally.....but you know that, dork. lol
Weird, the Auto Zone " Korea " pressure plate, was cut linear, if that makes sense? I never seen one like that.. in other words, it's circles, getting smaller and smaller, following the outside radius... weird...

Weird, the Auto Zone " Korea " pressure plate, was cut linear, if that makes sense? I never seen one like that.. in other words, it's circles, getting smaller and smaller, following the outside radius... weird...
Yeah, I've seen um like that too. Technically "wrong" but it works. Can lead to some chattering or noises.....but it works. Most times it's fine. Since the pressure plate is on the non drive side, it's a bit more forgiving.

Ok cool! Ain't going back anyhow! Lol. The pilot bearing was fried too, gonna have to see if my slide hammer at my old place has the Lil ears attachment. If not I'm gonna have to rent one. We knocked it around some, even got her out the bore, a Lil, with homemade junk, but it was getting dark, and I didn't have a way to attempt to Fab nothing worth a crap

It still amazes me how many people don't know the easy way to get the pilot bushing out. Fill it with grease or soft bar soap. Stick a dowel that just fits in the middle and hit the dowel with a hammer. Hydraulics are awesome.

If you indicated it in you could have taken a face cut and made it flat.
I did that on another spare one full of heat checks as a test and decided not to do so on the one I was putting back in. Didn't offer that as the OP was looking for a quick "back yard" method to reface with what he has access to. He already had a grinder, all he needed was the sanding pad and some consistent speed and wrist action.. :D
beerestoration2015-2016 1179.JPG

It still amazes me how many people don't know the easy way to get the pilot bushing out. Fill it with grease or soft bar soap. Stick a dowel that just fits in the middle and hit the dowel with a hammer. Hydraulics are awesome.
Yup, pack the cavity with grease (I saw one video where they actually used *BREAD*??), put an input-sized socket backwards on an extension (same principle as a dowel), and a couple of raps with a hammer pops it right out. You'll never do it any other way again.

-
Back