FLYWHEEL issues... HELP!!!!!

-

maverick

1964 BARRACUDA 273-5sp.
Reaction score
Hello All:

I am "trying" to install a 5-spd TREMEC(Kiesler-Auto) into my 1964 Barracuda. The car was originally a 904/push-button. I got this flywheel from a 65' Formula "S" from Wisconsin which I think has 9.5" diameter. Kiesler-Auto think that they don't have a pressure plate/friction disk that small for me.

On top of everything, I also outsourced a bell-housing for Kiesler to modify. My questions now:

- What is the most accurate way to measure my flywheel? ...

- What year was the 10.5" first used and on what car and what kind of small block engine size, if anyone knows?.

- Is the correct measurement for the flywhell from bolt-hole to bolt-hole?

- Would there be any side effects in the future if I just went ahead and install a 10.5" flywheel on my 273 engine?

- If there is, is there any other solutions to solve my problem?

- What should I look for with the 10.5" besides "6-hole", 130 or 143 teeth? -

- What kind of bell-housing should be used and how can I tell the difference? Any starter issues?

Thank you so much, in advance..:cheers:
I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

If the Bellhousing was for a 65 Barracuda it’s 9.5 inch flywheel and there are only a few options. There use to be a stock replacement clutch and pressure plate kit available through Napa or Car Quest, I would look there. I also noticed that someone posted a performance clutch option a while back that was still available but stock clutch should be fine

Converting to 10.5 inch clutch is really time consuming riddled and with issues to overcome – If your in a hurry - might really stall out your progress.

Good Luck

first of all if it is a stock bel housing, (check the numbers) im not totally sure but i think the 273 bells were cast iron,, it makes no difference if it is or not,, but if its a orignal 65 flywheel it will be a 9 1/2 inch clutch,,
all tho you can get new parts for that you cant get a disc for that for the tremec trans,,,

i have reserched this trany over and over,, and hope to install one next season,, i have already gotten a QUICK TIME BELL HOUSING for the smal l block mopar to ford tremec tranny,,,

keislier has a bell housing for a small block mopar to tremec tranny,,and it will fit your 273 all you need to do is buy a 10 1/2 inch fly wheel,,a stock one wil work or you can buy one from summit or jegs or mancini,,after market wil be around 300.00 last time i bought one,, a stock fly wheel; will be fine if you dont plan on drag racing at the track,,they may require a SFI approved flywheel,,,

dont buy a complete clutch pressure plate for a mopar,,you are going to have to use a pressure plate that fits the tremec tranny,, they are a 26 spline ,keislier hasa complete clutch,that wil work fine on the street, its a GM unit, the GM and FORD tremecs use the same disc,,im guessing the new chalenger will use the same 26 spline disc,, your mopar disck would be 23 spline,, that why you need to make sure you get the corect unit,,,

-
Back