Fold down rear seat brackets??

-

Mattmoto441

Reaction score
so when I was 16 I hacked up my can and did a hack job mini tubs . Back then all I wanted was a race car . Now 20 years later I'm trying to turn it back into a driver. So is there anywhere I can get the mounting bracket for the fold rear seat and base?

so when I was 16 I hacked up my can and did a hack job mini tubs . Back then all I wanted was a race car . Now 20 years later I'm trying to turn it back into a driver. So is there anywhere I can get the mounting bracket for the fold rear seat and base?

A donor car is about your only option, unless you make them yourself.

A want ad here is the best place to start.

What are you missing exactly? Some of it would be pretty easy to make, other parts wouldn't be so easy.

This is what it all looks like

Lower seat brackets
11-jpg.jpg

Upper seat brackets
9-jpg.jpg

Brace for the center pass through
10-jpg.jpg

The whole center pass through sheet metal
3-jpg.jpg

Oh crap. I'd say you need everything.

And is that galvanized metal? Are you buying new wheelhouses and everything to get rid of those tubs? It doesn't even look like the C-pillar supports are attached to the tubs anymore, the structural integrity back there is seriously compromised.

Oh crap. I'd say you need everything.

And is that galvanized metal? Are you buying new wheelhouses and everything to get rid of those tubs? It doesn't even look like the C-pillar supports are attached to the tubs anymore, the structural integrity back there is seriously compromised.
I'm gonna build new tubs outta some factory replacements

I'm gonna build new tubs outta some factory replacements

Are you going to mini-tub it? Based on the amount of metal you’re missing and the fact that the trunk support braces are cut using the factory tubs might actually require more fabrication than using the factory tubs and mini-tubbing them. That would also require some modifications to the fold down seat brackets, but it would make it easier to fabricate the lower mounts as all you’d need is a reinforced plate with some threads.

To still use a fold down rear seat with a mini tub, you need just make a block thick enough that your seat can bolt too, AND still be able to fold down which is pretty thick. You can just put (2) tapped holes in each block then thru bolt them from the inside on the wheel tub. But that will place your seat back at a weird angle.

To not have the seat back at a weird angle, takes more thinking...
You most likely will have to make an articulated bracket made out of (2) pieces that relocates the pivot point lower, but then your seat won't fold exactly flat on the lower cushion...

You actually need a bracket that lowers the pivot point and then has more articulation to lay flat on the lower cushion.

Have fun!

Last edited:
The more I look at it the more I think I'm just gonna pass on the fold down seat and just do a standard seat back. I think I'm gonna stretch and widen some factory replacement tubs and repair the bracing . Don't really care what back seats in it just was hoping I could use the factory seatback I still had.

I really wish I could go back in time a slap my 16 year old self an not do some of the stuff I did. The car was a factory bucket seat car with the fold down with power windows and I cut it up and tossed the seats .

The more I look at it the more I think I'm just gonna pass on the fold down seat and just do a standard seat back. I think I'm gonna stretch and widen some factory replacement tubs and repair the bracing . Don't really care what back seats in it just was hoping I could use the factory seatback I still had.

I really wish I could go back in time a slap my 16 year old self an not do some of the stuff I did. The car was a factory bucket seat car with the fold down with power windows and I cut it up and tossed the seats .

The seat bottoms are the same for both the fold down and the standard seat. The only difference is the upper section. If you have the fold down seat back you could also just install it so it doesn’t fold. The brackets would be easier and you wouldn’t have to worry about the clearance in the wheel tubs to fold the seat down.

The problem with the standard seat is that the package tray is totally different on the fold down cars. The location where the standard upper seat mounts isn’t there on a fold down car.

Yeah, I made mine fold flat with a double hinge that lowered the pivot and has a comfortable seat back, out of some machined aluminum stock... I suppose you could maybe configure the parts out of pre-machined configurable parts from Misumi or something. It's a lot of messing around to get it to look right. As much as the seat gets folded down and people that sit in the back I'd pass on the monkey business of doing it again.

Might be easier to just narrow the seat frame to fit and still fold down with a mini tub.

I have the fold down backrest but no base or anything else. I tore all that stuff out 19 years ago or so and haven't touched the car till just recently. So its a time capsule of my former dumb stuff

Not wanting to high jack this post but I have a question. During reassembly of the interior does the rear floor Panel go in first and then the sides or the sides then the floor?? Thanks

Finally got around to getting new wheel tubs put in , my dad built me these from scratch and sent them to me and I just got them all finished tonight. Now on to figure out how to put a seat back here
20210707_212657.jpg
20210707_212706.jpg
20210707_212712.jpg

-
Back