Fold down rear seat for Duster

-

player1up

Reaction score
What is needed to convert a Duster to the fold down rear seat option?
So far I know:

1. Rear seat ( bottom and back )
2. Package tray ( with some slight mods to the sheet metal )
3. Wheel well latches
4. Wheel well covers

Is that all that is needed or am I missing something?

I'm mulling over the idea and I'm trying to gauge the cost/effort involved.

Thanks
Matt

You may need some of the welded-on tabs for the seat latches.

I have a car that's been parted out but still have most of the main parts for the rear fold-down seat. I did recently sell some small hinge covers. Unbolted parts are at home and the car is still at a friend's shop just north of Daytona waiting to be finish-stripped and scrapped.

If you don't have a donor car yet, the parts and sheetmetal to cut out are available. It would be convenient to check out how it's all laid out.

You may need some of the welded-on tabs for the seat latches.

I have a car that's been parted out but still have most of the main parts for the rear fold-down seat. I did recently sell some small hinge covers. Unbolted parts are at home and the car is still at a friend's shop just north of Daytona waiting to be finish-stripped and scrapped.

If you don't have a donor car yet, the parts and sheetmetal to cut out are available. It would be convenient to check out how it's all laid out.

Well, I wasn't expecting to find the stuff so soon... but I'll PM you with my info to discuss...and Daytona is right around the corner :)

Here's an illustration from the service manual.
One thing not pictured is the fuel filler tube. It has a different bend so the security panel will lay flat.

Attachments

• Folding Seat.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 394
boden, Thanks for the pic... now I see that there are a few things I hadn't thought about.

i was think about this swap as well , so you must get the seat bottom with the donor car with the fold down seat ? or will the regular seat bottom work? please let me know thanks ed

Don't for get about the Plastic covers that go over the wheel wells,and something to remember as well is the carpeting. The package tray has a piece of vinyl sewn around the edge. I haven't found anyone that sells the extra pieces of carpet (3 - one for the back of the seat, one for the bottom of the opening, and the piece that covers the dropdown on the inside).. The carpet on the back of the seat and the drop down have binding sewn around them and are glued in place. I have a 73 with the fold down seat. It has the original carpeting... I was really wondering what the original color was until I lifted the wheel well cover.... its..actually dark gold. At this point I really haven't got serious about the asthetics of the interior, but it does help to know what's original in the look.. I guess.. If I can get my camera to charge I'll throw up a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about... Camera charged and pictures below.. Good Luck!

Attachments

• Picture 144.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Picture 145.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 341
  • Picture 150.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 362
does anybody have any info on fabing this type of seat into a reg duster , i was going to just weld the front of the package tray into my package try , but was told that the package tray on the fold down seat car was beefier that the normal one because the cross supports are not there , i can get all the pieces but was wondering about the package tray? please let me know thanks ed

The package tray is different. It is curved and without speaker provisions while the "regular" one is straight. There are also several brackets that are welded on sheetmetal that the fold-down seat latches onto. The guy that bought my stuff took as much as he could to do his car but I don't have his contact info anymore.

Actually, I just realized that it was the original thread starter who bought my stuff.

Don't forget the fuel filler tube is different so the security panel can fold down into the trunk.

I'll see if I can get some pictures and post. Give ya look at the bottom of my package tray.. I will try and take them laying down looking up at the bottom of the package tray...

I'm starting feel my age.... Well here ya go, nothing has been changed or altered it is the stock set-up, My Duster is a 73 for your reference..
Pic 1 thru 4 are of the package tray looking from the bottom up.
Pic 5 is of the filler tube...
Hope this helps! :wave:

Attachments

• 211.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 212.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 213.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 214.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 215.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 311
Anyone that is local, I have access to the seat and trim and some of the other stuff out of a 73 with the fold down rear seat. The seat is white and in good shape. but you'll have to come pick it up, I'm not interested in shipping it. Tampa Fl area.

would you be interested in selling and shipping some of the trim pieces , i can see why you dont want to ship the whole seat ? thanks ed

I have pictures of all of the brackets but I'll have to find them...hey look at that, I'm a pack rat :)

And I added a comment to one of the other pics. The package tray has a piece at the end that bends down and is spot welded to the fender well to support the front edge and has a hole for the panel to bolt to it.
I'm not sure if I'm going to modify my package tray or not...I haven't gotten around to working on it yet... been working on the turbo :twisted:

Attachments

• IMG00006-20110109-1618 (Medium).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 257
  • Picture 145.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 240
-
Back