(For Sale?) Hello VIVIAN!! 1967 Barracuda Fastback resto.

-

spook

Spook
Reaction score
Hey all of you Mopar fanatics I have finally decided to show all of you my poison! All right the story starts with my seventeenth birthday.. all was well, I went to school did the normal teen jazz, socialized, caused only little problems of course. As time flew by and classes ended I came home to meet up with the family. I received the serious gifts like a new set of socks.. an entire bag.. included was approximately six pairs, YES! I was given miscellaneous other things such as a new pair of shoes and of course some briefs, purely practical and essential things. Hold on there was a twist later in the night, how was I supposed to know that soon my dad would give me the title to his 1967 Barracuda Fastback?

Ok well basically my dad knows his stuff. He is a certified master light heavy duty diesel technician. Apparently not an easy task from what I hear. This is the cool and hopefully not too confusing part. When my dad was eighteen years old he bought a 1967 Barracuda coupe from his mom, my grandmother. The settlement was for exactly one dollar. Yes I kid you not ( 1 ) dollar. The car has been in the family all of its life. My grandma purchased it brand new right out of the parking lot to the amount of 2300$ way back in 1966. The car is still with us today. It sits in the garage, as it has for all of its life. It is all original. Small block 273, Hp 240 horse with a four barrel carb. Stock posi 8 ¾ rear end with 3.23 gears. Original interior, no cracks in the dash, little fade on the instrument cluster ..and all of the above. Ok back to the story. Basically my dad bought a plum crazy 1967 Barracuda fastback in 1986 for a parts car. This is where it all started. He decided since he did not need it at the time he would simply park it in the back yard of his moms house. And of course he did, it sat in the back yard of my grandmothers house for seventeen years, under an old military style oil tarp. Oh my wow it was interesting to uncover, but who cares I am young and full of energy, my dad saw it as the perfect opportunity for some father son time.

scan0010.jpg

Well above there she sits, after seventeen years she finally sees some light. My old man, a friend from work with a trailer and myself drove across the Kansas flats to pick it up. Six hours there and six back, it was a walk in the park, well at least for myself as I slept in the back on the nice leather seats of the extended cab Chevy 3500. The best part was finding out how she was originally made by cross referencing the VIN number. She came out with a SB 273 Hp, four on the floor, plum crazy paint, factory tack, non ac, and of course them giant 14 inch wheels!]

I guess i will give you some more pics. Now come on i know she is rough but doesnt everybody like a little challenge?

scan0009.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0016.jpg

Check out all of the fourty year old goodies i have!!

And look at that frown, it will soon change...

scan0014.jpg

scan0015.jpg

scan0017.jpg

Great junker find and yes I mean a junker. I purchased two bare big block 383’s and one 440 from my drafting teacher at my local high school. For a hundred bucks I got the three bare blocks, a pair of worthless heads, brackets out my ears and a brand new mopar forged 400 crank. Well turns out that I scored. Unknowingly I bought an original 1967 date 383 block, of course I stripped it. I was impressive that day, to say the least there was oil all over the garage floor. These pictures will show what I mean. Oh yeah I forgot the best part. Due to the fact that this block sat for such a long time the pistons completely seized up. So I definitely soaked each cylinder with ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to break the bond between the cylinder wall and piston rings.

scan.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

WOW! great start!

cant wait to see the finished project!

im working on a 67 Cuda Racecar now :D

Ohhhhhhh, boy, we have a project on our hands here. I love this stuff. Go for it, enjopy!

Well my philosophy is that pictures show what a thousand words cant so look below to see how the old girl sits in my driveway. You will notice she is a dimond in the rough "literelly" and that i have a special fool proof way of getting into my trunk!! I have dropped the fuel tank and have replaced the sending unit along with the wiring and total rear suspension also replaced the drum brakes and rebuilt the cylinders.. Im no slacker so I went ahead and drove new right hand thread axle studs into the rear main shafts, wow that was fun. Welded new bolts to the spring shackles and put new poly bushings in for the eyelets..further pictures will come, Fear not she will get there

Vacation and school 127.jpg

Vacation and school 126.jpg

Vacation and school 128.jpg

Vacation and school 129.jpg

Vacation and school 130.jpg

Vacation and school 131.jpg

Vacation and school 133.jpg

Vacation and school 134.jpg

Wish my ole' man would have passed on his 69' Swinger 340-4speed!

Looking good, keep it up!

Ok lets move away from the under side and the dana 8 3/4 rear end and look at the new machine work on the engine. I have a BB 383 bored .30 over milled deck with ported and polished 452s heads. They were a steal I hope they perform. The cam is a mopar purple 509 and the block is equipt with a double timing chain, flat top pistons, the works. The block is currently being painted so new shiny pics will come soon but until then here is some more eye candy!!

1.jpg

100_1058.jpg

100_1059.jpg

Vacation and school 140.jpg

Vacation and school 141.jpg

Vacation and school 143.jpg

Vacation and school 144.jpg

Vacation and school 153.jpg

WOW! I remember being young and that full of energy,looks like you have a good jump on getting it together,keep up the good work.=P~

Wow!! how did I miss this great build.:tongue9:
You have dun a great job on your work and keeping us updated.
This has been a good read allong with some good pictures.:read2:
Your hands have been busy, By the scare's I see.8)
Don't stop know You are making it look easy. But we know better then that.
Thanks for sharing this great build with us spook.=D>
Did you name your 67 Vivian?

keep it up.i love the car.i would double your money right now for it.or trade you a 11 second duster.Keep us updated with the project.best of luck
jeremy

Awesome! Nice '67 Barracuda you got there. I can't believe that was your Dad's parts car! I like also like the decision to go with a 383 instead of the 273. Are you going back to Plum Crazy purple? Is Vivian your grandmothers name or what?

You are definately going to have one nice ride, but I wouldn't consider that car "rough". It looked really straight and solid. Plus just about all the important parts were still in it. Anyone from Hawaii could show you what rough really is](*,) You're doing a great job, can't wait to see it when it finished:cheers:

Well guess whats under the neighbors 160 foot tall tree?? Oh and hey this response is partly entitled to member Memike. Heck yes I named this beast Vivian. I came across the name one day when I was at the parts store. The night before the movie Pretty Woman staring Julia Roberts was on and I thought the name nothing less than appropriate. In the movie Julia Roberts started out as a un-refined beauty much like my 67 Cuda. I see potential and just as the man Edward in the movie I found that nothing stands in the way except for money and ambition. I have high hopes however and look at this project as a great investment. Moreover, Get er' done..

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

i'd still be happy enough to buy it.and i have several chain saws and am willing to cut it out.I wish the best of luck.did the tree physically damage the car very bad?i hope not.i do have a fast back parts car if need front support or anything..

-
Back