For those who have a Firm Feel steering adaptor...

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
Got one and the fit is a little sloppy on the box end even with the roll pin installed. FF sent me another one and it does the same thing. Box is reman and the splines and shaft don't appear trashed. The small end where the column attaches is fine.

How was the fit with yours?

Watch a 25 sec. video here to see what I'm talking about: [ame="http://youtu.be/QqkIJlxkEKg"]302 Found[/ame]

I don't know anything about Firm Feel but I sure don't like the looks of that............................

the one we installed on Stop the beast 66 dart had the opposite issue... i doubt it ever coming off lol... stock mopar box that we rebuilt...

Do you have another box you can try ? I really like the flaming river piece.

man..that sure is strange....i had a firm feel adapter just like that. i didnt have problems like that. mine was a nice snug fit....

Got one and the fit is a little sloppy on the box end even with the roll pin installed. FF sent me another one and it does the same thing. Box is reman and the splines and shaft don't appear trashed. The small end where the column attaches is fine.

How was the fit with yours?

Watch a 25 sec. video here to see what I'm talking about: 302 Found

That is a nasty fit. Something would be sent back if it was mine.

Something isn't right,I use this part and have had zero issues.
Looks more like your steering column is loose.
Are you sure you have the part installed correctly ?

Did Chrysler ever use different size splines in slant 6s and V8s? Could be. I made my own adapter.

no. they were all the same spline size....im almost certain...wouldnt make sense to have diff sizes...

i have a firm fell medium ration manual box and their adapter .I love the feel of the box its tight and the adapter fits like a glove.

Some things are obvious and the original poster came for an answer about the joint. I will be more than happy to have him tell us why he has the obviously loose column loose.

So you have a crystal ball ? Interesting.
So now you have three posts,with absolutely ZERO answers about the joint.
Maybe you should take your own advice.

On top of that,I have experience with the part he is referring to. You ?

So you have a crystal ball ? Interesting.
So now you have three posts,with absolutely ZERO answers about the joint.
Maybe you should take your own advice.

LOL, You also have three posts with absoletely ZERO answers. I am not going to play a pissing match with you so we can just wait for the original poster to give more details.

Easy gentlemen.

Looks to me that theres to much play in the steering shaft for starters.

Checked out your video again.
It looks as though the top portion of the adapter isn't all the way in.
Have you installed both roll pins ?

Easy gentlemen.

Looks to me that theres to much play in the steering shaft for starters.

I am good. I can see that the steering shaft looks loose too and if the column was bolted tight we couldn't see any movement so it would be hard to know what was going on.

Okay guys - been out firing up the new motor.

To answer questions: The adapter is installed correctly - not sure how it couldn't be. Both roll pins are in. In the video I'm just reaching down and grabbing the coupler. The fit is nice and tight on the small end of the adapter where it enters the original coupler. The loose fit is at the box. The shaft itself has no lower bearing - never did.

The box is a reman unit from CarSteeringWholesale out of CA. The splines don't look trashed.

I would have checked the fit before installing the box (while the engine was out) but FF forgot to ship my adapter when I ordered it. I had to call them to find out where it was. In the mean time, the box went in.

What I'm trying to determine is whether I have an excessively worn input shaft or FF has a batch of adapters that were machined incorrectly, or this is considered normal.

Just checked mine with the same test you did.
Mine is solid,with no movement. So obviously somethings not right.
Sounds like a call to firm feel is in order.

Okay - you guys that have the adapter and say it fit fine - did it slip onto the box effortlessly or did you have to wiggle it on? Sounds like the latter - and that what I would have expected.

Here's what the box vendor said: "...It’s pretty unusual for input splines to get worn down on a steering box. Once the coupler is bolted on, the “peaks” of the splines shouldn’t have anything touching them, so it would take prolonged movement of a loose coupler to wear them down. In addition, we have had no returns or warranty replacements on this particular box over 125+ sales in the last two years."

I don't have another box to compare anything to. I threw a caliper on the OD of the input splines and got .719"

What I expect to happen is have each vendor point their finger at the other.

Anybody have a manual box they can measure the OD of the input shaft with a dial caliper?

-
Back