Forged pistons options

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a stock bottom end 5.9 magnum, EQ heads running a single 69mm turbo on lite boost (~7psi) with E85.

Once I get my tune squared away I'd like to turn up the boost but know the stock pistons have their limitations. I'd like to build a new short block with stock crank and rods but with an off the shelf forged piston. What is available in a ~9.0:1 compression I can buy off the shelf. Or is custom the only option? Most pistons I've seen are in the 10:1 range or part of a stroker kit. Thanks guys!

If you can only find a 10-1 forged slug, then it will have to be measured to verify that it is that ratio.

If so, a Cometic gasket is a excellent option. There a bit pricey vs. the off the shelf gasket but well worth it.

Same deal in the 9.0-1 ratio forged slug if you find one so at least it may be possible to drop it to 8.5-1 or 8.0-1.

I know for fact you can get them @ .100 thick.

Thanks gents. I forgot to ask. Is balancing of the pistons or rotating assembly required if switching to non stock pistons? Or doesn't matter since the Magnums are externally balanced?

I'll keep shopping around for forged slugs. They're all pretty pricey from what I've seen; Icon, Mahle, Wiseco...

Required unless the piston pin and ring package weighs exactly the same as the OE piston pin and rings.

If the piston, pin & rings assemble are heavier or lighter by a margin simple hand held dremel fixes can’t fix, the crank with bearings along well th harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate should be sent to be balanced.

Also at this point, the proper balanced and flywheel/flexplate should be in ya d and used.

At this stage, it will be your call to have it internally or externally balanced.

-
Back