Found! 6-19-68 340 engine block.

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
Not much good. Already 40 over. Spun middle main bearing and put a hairline crack under bearing. Vin # in pictures. Anyone know what it came out of?

20180521_134543.jpg

20180521_134629.jpg

The engine serial number is pictured, the full or partial VIN that may tie it to a car would be down low on the passenger side of the block.

(Final engine assembly date is during the '69 model year)

I'll type out the full VIN & the partial VIN below so that search engines can pick up the numbers if the owner searches for their VIN online;

LM23P9B141830

9B 141830

(1969 was a transitional model year, they started stamping full VINs like this & then went to partial VINs later in production.)

And it looks to be turquoise!
The proper color for 69 340 is " Turquois" But not the same Turquois as the Big Block. You can't find the color in a spray bomb anymore but can be matched with a sample. Or I have a code that was made from an original valve cover. Cheers!

Not correct. There were red 69 340's until the TSB came out on September 9, 1968 saying all 69 340's are to be turquoise (same as the big blocks) until somewhere in 69 when some were painted a darker blue. No TSB has been located for that yet. Also, some late 69 340's have been rumored to be orange, but no TSB exists for that either. This has been beaten to death over the last 20 years...

Not correct. There were red 69 340's until the TSB came out on September 9, 1968 saying all 69 340's are to be turquoise (same as the big blocks) until somewhere in 69 when some were painted a darker blue. No TSB has been located for that yet. Also, some late 69 340's have been rumored to be orange, but no TSB exists for that either. This has been beaten to death over the last 20 years...
Yes it has been at least 40 years for me discussing this. LOL. Better things to do in life than worry about a color. A good friend of mine bought these cars new in 69. 100% not the same turquoise as the BB. Not trying to start anything, just basing on what my own eyes tell me. Enjoy your Wed!

Bought my first Dart GTS in 1978, so 40 years for me too. Of course that is 10 years after they came out. TSB's don't lie, same turquoise they had laying around.

Bought my first Dart GTS in 1978, so 40 years for me too. Of course that is 10 years after they came out. TSB's don't lie, same turquoise they had laying around.
Here is a can of the paint by Plastikote, #210. Sorry they are upside down, not sure why? I didn't save them that way. This was discontinued 10-15 years ago, maybe longer. It was called Chrysler green that mirrored the blue/green of the 69 340. This color was the only one that got close to the actual 69 340 color. This can is from my older fiend that owned a 69 dart in 69. His friend in 69 had a B body with the Turquois big block. The 2 colors sorry to say were not even close, there was a difference. The lid of the can does not resemble the actual color, the lid looks blue but when you spray this color it is blue/green. There is no info on the internet about the 340 blue/green! Nothing! You won't find anything except for the odd person that has seen the difference, usually a mopar guy in his 70's. The 340 color myth is twice as bad as the Hemi orange myth!! Trust me I have seen an original 69 340 beside an original BB and they are 2 different colors 100%. Anyway I couldn't resist. LOL. At least we can have these discussions, if we had a Ford or Chevy we would be sound asleep by now.

Plastikote 210.JPG

Plastikote 2 210.JPG

Aftermarket paint manufacturers vary wildly in color. I too have seen many original paint 340's and 383/440's painted in turquoise, those colors vary also depending on how long and hot they have been run and how much grease has penetrated the paint. We will just agree to disagree at this point, I have studied this issue for decades and we all have our opinions and will never know the truth.

Aftermarket paint manufacturers vary wildly in color. I too have seen many original paint 340's and 383/440's painted in turquoise, those colors vary also depending on how long and hot they have been run and how much grease has penetrated the paint. We will just agree to disagree at this point, I have studied this issue for decades and we all have our opinions and will never know the truth.
Fair enough, agree to disagree. For sure over time paint colors changes. I know my friend viewed multiple comparisons back in 69 with brand new cars so he will take it to his grave. LOL. Personally I think there may have been a TSB? Even though I haven't seen one? But the tint was altered slightly (for whatever reason) on the 340. As we both know back in that day there was not a lot of automation & changes came from the hip quickly. Enjoy your Mopar ride(s) and thanks for your thoughts & knowledge. I hope someone finds this block to match a car!

and the only 1969 440 that wasn't any shade blue that I know of happens to be the one in the '69 M code cuda

-
Back