Found a 1968 GTX 4 speed 440....Value?

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am working on my 65 Barracuda now, but I came across a pretty pristine, numbers matching 1968 GTX. 4 speed, 440. Sellers price seems pretty low (35000.00). Any opinions? Thinking about buying it and driving it for a bit, then turning it for a profit. What do you guys think?

Seems about right, what shape? I would not trust it to go up though. Markets on a roller coaster now. If hes selling it to you for 35, why would he not sell it to me for 45...maybe becasue I dont exist? :-(

Is there actually such a thing as "matching numbers" 68? Not in A bodies..............

I think in 68 they started putting the VINs on the blocks.
Honestly IMO only going with your description I'd call that a little strong. If you goal is to make money, you'll need to get it way less, assuming you have some repairs to do while you drive it. The market is crazy, but not because it's strong - because it could go anywhere price wise.

Is there actually such a thing as "matching numbers" 68? Not in A bodies..............
I have seen BB 68's with build sequence numbers at top rear of block ( Not vin).... I agree the market is in turmoil right now. I would not buy anything with the idea of flippin it for a profit, as in high priced cars.. Value of that car totally restored right now I bet is $35000 tops. Prices of Hemi E bodies has dropped so bad Hagerty did even list them other day in their update. You can buy a retored BB E body for that so why would the GTX be worth that today?????
Collector market is stupid as usual. Whats hot? Friggin 60's,70's Chevy 1/2 T. pickups!!!!! LOL

My car- 1968 cuda BB, 4-sp, restored "matching numbers". Yes, 1968 is first year Mopar put VIN numbers on mechanical parts to put an end to "fake" cars. These numbers are in addition to build numbers. In 1968 the engine VIN number is stamped on the top of the engine near the belhousing mounting, near the oil sender on big block cars. The 4-sp VIN number is on the ID boss cast into the trans on the right side near the oil fill hole. It contains production number and VIN number. The car itself has the VIN number in three places- the dash, the radiator support and the trunk weatherstrip area, left side. On a "matching numbers car"- all five of these places will have the same number.

My car- 1968 cuda BB, 4-sp, restored "matching numbers". Yes, 1968 is first year Mopar put VIN numbers on mechanical parts to put an end to "fake" cars. These numbers are in addition to build numbers. In 1968 the engine VIN number is stamped on the top of the engine near the belhousing mounting, near the oil sender on big block cars. The 4-sp VIN number is on the ID boss cast into the trans on the right side near the oil fill hole. It contains production number and VIN number. The car itself has the VIN number in three places- the dash, the radiator support and the trunk weatherstrip area, left side. On a "matching numbers car"- all five of these places will have the same number.

I've got conflicting info on this as in it might be "some but not all". Some talk about engine numbers on HP engines but not necessarily low performance cars.

I have done research on this and believe my car is supposed to be "correct". But this was a "new" thing and also believe that we will be seeing inconsistencies. So when someone says 'I have seen this or that', I am not quick to say they are wrong. We will let the car show judge decide.

68 has SO numbers on the rad support and trunk lip. Last year for that as the 69 MY had the vin in those locations.

I think I would becareful also. I don't think you will make any money on that car. Even though GTX was the upscale version of the RoadRunner it still seemed as though it still got all the glory

All good advice here. We just want you to get good value for your money and not get ripped off by taking someone's word for what the car is supposed to have. Good luck on your decision. If the car really is as you describe, you will enjoy it. Make money by flipping it ?- I doubt it. Let us know what you decide.

All good advice here. We just want you to get good value for your money and not get ripped off by taking someone's word for what the car is supposed to have. Good luck on your decision. If the car really is as you describe, you will enjoy it. Make money by flipping it ?- I doubt it. Let us know what you decide.

Hi Guys,
I am working on my 65 Barracuda now, but I came across a pretty pristine, numbers matching 1968 GTX. 4 speed, 440. Sellers price seems pretty low (35000.00). Any opinions? Thinking about buying it and driving it for a bit, then turning it for a profit. What do you guys think?

Should have the vin stamped on the upper driver side where the block mates to the tranny and same for the tranny. If they don't match then one or both are not original to the car. As said belo the sequesne number is stamped on the radiatior support close to the battery.

BB cars LOTS to choose from out there... Small blocks are getting rare ..

If it were a QQ1 car it would be a steal ! And if it drove really solid and not messed with a real steal !
Maybe lightly optioned... White interior would be even better...

Maybe the guy doesnt really know much about cars ....

Wouldnt it be awesome to find something like this at a garage sale ?

Seems about right, what shape? I would not trust it to go up though. Markets on a roller coaster now. If hes selling it to you for 35, why would he not sell it to me for 45...maybe becasue I dont exist? :-(

Nobody bit on this....lol

This GTX is my neighbors car. It is the real deal ....
QQ1 / white interior .. Dana 3.54.. Magnum 500s... not a concourse resto but a really nice driver. Doesnt appear to have been monkeyed with. Still has points and all stock components. Looks to be a spruced up survivor although I have not checked the numbers. Cam is either stock or a 284/484 hemigrind is my guess.
Steve is not a car guy. ( works in investments ) I doubt he has ever hit redline . Just takes it out for a cruise every few months.

and not one picture,,
yeah sure you're getting a deal , buy the thing
Thanks for the sarcasm...

IMG_9648.jpg

Nobody bit on this....lol

This GTX is my neighbors car. It is the real deal ....
QQ1 / white interior .. Dana 3.54.. Magnum 500s... not a concourse resto but a really nice driver. Doesnt appear to have been monkeyed with. Still has points and all stock components. Looks to be a spruced up survivor although I have not checked the numbers. Cam is either stock or a 284/484 hemigrind is my guess.
Steve is not a car guy. ( works in investments ) I doubt he has ever hit redline . Just takes it out for a cruise every few months.
Small world we live in huh?....I thought that this looked pretty darn good. 35K is a lot of money for me to shell out, but it seems like a pretty good deal. I already have 2 classic cars that don't see enough sunshine, probably don't want to make it 3! BTW, I have his # if anybody else is interested.....

35K seems about right. 45-55k is the high end on a 440 car. If it were a hemi car then 55-65K, convertible even more. Of course depends on the fender tag and the numbers. There was a yellow 4 speed car on FBBO. He was 42K if I remember right. Offered a straight ahead trade for my GTS. He passed. Money talks.

-
Back