Found: Front Windshield using a Lock Strip and Gasket on a 65 Dart

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Members. I am installing my front windshield glass on my 65 Dart GT. The gasket I am using is from Classic manufactured by Precision. I have watched a few videos on YouTube, but none of the installers use a sealant between the gasket and the body, nor between the glass and the gasket. So the question is, do I use a sealant, or does the locking strip provide enough pressure to seal the gasket to body and the glass to gasket. I do not plan to drive the car in the winter, but, in the summer, we will drive and show. I expect we will get rained on a time or two. We live in Iowa, so the spring shows will, for sure, present some weather. Can anyone advise on a sealant or even if one is necessary. Thanks for the help. sgrip65

"How I do it"

I install the gasket on the window. take a 1/4 rope and lay in the pinch weld channel. Squirt Dawn dishwashing liquid on the rope all the way around. I start with the two ends of the rope at the top, usually in a top corner. Lay the windshield in AS MUCH of the pinch weld at the bottom as you can. Then from the top, start gently pulling the rope out at a 90* angle from the window, while a buddy GENTLY pushes in on the window from the outside. The rope pulls the inside lip over the pinch weld. When you get the inside lip installed all the way around, take a towel and wipe as much of the Dawn off the gasket and pinch weld as you can get to. Then, before you install the lockstrip, take a tube of clear silicone calk and cut the tip so it will go in between the outside of the pinch weld and the gasket and run a bead all the way around between the gasket and pinch weld. Wipe away any excess. Install the lockstrip. I've done a LOT of windshields through the years, especially when I was in school. I don't know why I was always the one everybody wanted to do it. "I guess" because I wasn't scared. LOL

I used 3m windshield sealant in the caulk tube when installing my gasket and window. I put it in the channel groove and put the gasket on the car first and taped it in place. Then I put it in the window channel and put in the window. It would probably be ok without it, but I didn’t want to remove the large rear window in the case that it did leak. The caulk is black, same color as the seal, and if you mask off the area around the gasket, chances are that you will come out with a clean install.

I used 3m windshield sealant in the caulk tube when installing my gasket and window. I put it in the channel groove and put the gasket on the car first and taped it in place. Then I put it in the window channel and put in the window. It would probably be ok without it, but I didn’t want to remove the large rear window in the case that it did leak. The caulk is black, same color as the seal, and if you mask off the area around the gasket, chances are that you will come out with a clean install.

Thanks Cosgig. I appreciate your help. Are you going to the Nats? Probably see you there. Thanks. sgrip65

"How I do it"

I install the gasket on the window. take a 1/4 rope and lay in the pinch weld channel. Squirt Dawn dishwashing liquid on the rope all the way around. I start with the two ends of the rope at the top, usually in a top corner. Lay the windshield in AS MUCH of the pinch weld at the bottom as you can. Then from the top, start gently pulling the rope out at a 90* angle from the window, while a buddy GENTLY pushes in on the window from the outside. The rope pulls the inside lip over the pinch weld. When you get the inside lip installed all the way around, take a towel and wipe as much of the Dawn off the gasket and pinch weld as you can get to. Then, before you install the lockstrip, take a tube of clear silicone calk and cut the tip so it will go in between the outside of the pinch weld and the gasket and run a bead all the way around between the gasket and pinch weld. Wipe away any excess. Install the lockstrip. I've done a LOT of windshields through the years, especially when I was in school. I don't know why I was always the one everybody wanted to do it. "I guess" because I wasn't scared. LOL

Thanks for the input RRR, I appreciate your time to answer. sgrip65

Thanks Cosgig. I appreciate your help. Are you going to the Nats? Probably see you there. Thanks. sgrip65

I am, but only Friday. My daughters friend is getting married on Saturday and she really wants to go, so we’re making a day trip out of it. I need some parts that I don’t want to have shipped, and may take this 8 3/4” rear end to sell. Hope to see you there!

-
Back