Found this in my new sniper throttle body!!

-

EBOT

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am almost done installing a sniper fuel injection system on my 71 duster.
I had to change the fittings around to have my entering fuel come into the front of the throttle body. When I looked into the hole where I took the plug out from I found these metal shavings!!!
I used a pick to pull most of them out then removed the other 2 optional inlet plugs and used a shop vac to carefully vacuum out the remaining chips from the one hole.
The other two holes were clear.
I’m gonna call Holley and tell them what I found and ask what I should do.
But figured I’d let everyone know what I found. I’m not happy about finding this.

2EA63C2E-3AA7-4F97-94E9-D69ABE53A609.jpeg

532A22E0-F5EB-4EDB-8C81-E39E7C1D3E56.jpeg

5FCD18D7-0885-4E2F-821A-0725385900B5.jpeg

Lol
I thought it was a coarse fuel filter at first too!!!
I’m on hold with Holley now.

Just got off the phone with Holley
They are overnighting a new throttle body to me and a prepaid shipping return label.
Long time on hold but excellent customer service!!

How much of that went down inside during shipping !

I sent them the pictures while I was on the phone with them. I figured I’d bag up the chips for them too and send them back with the throttle body.
Then a few minutes later they called me back and asked that I send them the chips.
I’m so glad I found them. Imagine trying to figure out why it’s not running right then trying to explain how the chips got in there.
That would have been a nightmare.

What is the thing that the chips are sitting on?

I piled the chips on the radiator for the picture.
That wasn’t all of them. That was all I could pull out into my hand with a pick. The rest are in my shop vac.
I was going to feed the throttle body fuel from the rear inlet too. But just changed my mind over this weekend. I would have never known the chips were in there.
Everything is wired up except 6 wires to hook up to the battery. I have to install the fuel pump and O2 sensor and it’s ready to fire up.
I was hoping to have it running for this weekend.
Hopefully that still happens.

Same thing happened to my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 that ended up killing the V10 engine at just 1000 miles! Seems a batch of oil pumps that were machined in Mexico had the step missed to purge all the shavings out of the casting after final machining, they had a recall of about 2000 units! They ended up replacing the engine but I was without the truck for a few weeks, still pissed about it after all these years!

Run EFI they said. It'll be great they said.

I know. Barry Grant had this problem with carburetors too.....I've just always wanted to use that line.

Same thing happened to my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 that ended up killing the V10 engine at just 1000 miles! Seems a batch of oil pumps that were machined in Mexico had the step missed to purge all the shavings out of the casting after final machining, they had a recall of about 2000 units! They ended up replacing the engine but I was without the truck for a few weeks, still pissed about it after all these years!

I think I would be too.

Update!
Holley overnighted me a entire new kit
I finished the install today and she fired right up!!!
It’s still learning. And so am I!
But it is running excellent!!!
Gotta say thank you to Holley for excellent customer service!!!!

Wow, that is bad it could get out the door like that. It is nice to see how fast Holley acted to remedy this situation though. I guess everyone makes mistakes now and then, the more important part is how mistakes are owned and dealt with.

Update!
Holley overnighted me a entire new kit
I finished the install today and she fired right up!!!
It’s still learning. And so am I!
But it is running excellent!!!
Gotta say thank you to Holley for excellent customer service!!!!
They made it right, and no doubt will give whoever did the tooling the stink eye, or the exit door!

Just got off the phone with Holley
They are overnighting a new throttle body to me and a prepaid shipping return label.
Long time on hold but excellent customer service!!

just reread this thread, I found a perfect steel shot , about number 6 size in my f.i. regulator ----?

just reread this thread, I found a perfect steel shot , about number 6 size in my f.i. regulator ----?
Steel shot is often used to debut and clean flashing off of castings and machine parts. They use it like sandblasting

-
Back