Frankenstein on CL

-

69DartMatt

Reaction score
Ran across this ad while scouring the southeast area of CL looking to see what's out there for sale.

1976 duster/dart

01616_h8AtzZmPr2E_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Matt your thread title fits perfectly. That will surely screw with some one not educated.

Amazing how the body lines seem to match up well. Would never thought that!

Apparently 76 Plymouth Dusters are sorta 68 Dodge Darts with new rear quarters and tails.

Or if you like FORDS which we all know the acronym for!

Last edited:
Round side markers on front and rectangles on the quarters. Do you leave as is, do the quarters metalwork to match the fronts or vice versa?:rolleyes:

Some one has already got creative, just funny how the lines are there. Guess it is not that unusual as the later Dodge Dart hood is basically the same as a 69 Fish, short of the under structure and hinge type.

A-Body recirculated stuff!

yeah look at the Aussie Dart Chargers and some of the Mexican models .

Here ya and have seen them.
Sounds like the aussies got the NOS stuff we needed to save for the later years of our American / Canadian lives and they made hybrids.

Looks a hell of a lot better with the 68 nose than the beak nose it originally came with.

I will reserve my thoughts until seeing a fully painted finished example. The purist in me does not like , but a finished product might change my opinion. Someone should buy it and show us.

1975 cordobaApparently there are more Frankenstein monsters out there, just saw this on bookface, not an a-body but..... Guess these concoctions, taking a cue from the human freaks out there, could be considered "model-neutrals". :eek:

I bought one of those a couple of months ago. It came as a box of parts. The major trim lines match up. But there are subtle differences between the '68 Dart front clip and the '74 Duster tub. My Duster also has a '71 Demon tail light panel along with a '67 Dart rear Bumper. I'm calling it a '68 Demon. The Dart clip kinda grows on you...

I like it! Gotta match up the marker lights, but then again not even Ma Mopar did that. Just look at the Demon, those marker lights never matched. Scamps didn’t either until the made them all the same in ‘72. Heck the wheel openings don’t match on any of them either.

As for the lines matching up, of course they do. The outer door skins are the same on all the 2 door hardtop cars, and all the doors have the same body lines with one exception. The only A-body you can’t swap a front clip with/from is the barracuda. Everything else will swap bodywork from the firewall forward. That’s all Demons were, that’s all Scamps were. A front clip swap between the Dodge’s and Plymouth’s.

Heck it goes back further than that, in ‘55 the Canadian cars were clip swapped from the US, Plymouth cars with Dodge front clips. They call them “plodges”

Heck it goes back further than that, in ‘55 the Canadian cars were clip swapped from the US, Plymouth cars with Dodge front clips. They call them “plodges”

I've always wondered what other stuff Canada had that I haven't seen. I certainly remember the Acadians and Beaumonts. Basically Pontiac Novas and Chevelles.

Interesting.

I've seen some strange combos, like the 67-69 convertible with the 73 front clip...

The much more rounded roof edges are more noticeable with the 68 clip.
IIRC the Duster was a record setter for most side glass curvature when it came out.

I will reserve my thoughts until seeing a fully painted finished example. The purist in me does not like , but a finished product might change my opinion. Someone should buy it and show us.
I'll buy and finish it!

...on your dime! Just kidding. I wish I had the budget for that though, it would certainly be fun to take to shows.

-
Back