freakin exchange rate!

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
just ordered jegs exhaust system for 72 duster,listed at 183 US$. 514$ canadian!!!!! i expected maybe somewhere in the low 4's maybe. oh well, along with my violator mufflers i'm still saving about 150$-200$ compared to the muffler shops in my area!

Yes and shipping is a killer. Too bad you're not close to the border. We use a storage house just into Montana as a lot of companies offer free shipping in the lower 48.
Oh and just wait until you have to pay the stinking "brokerage fees" on pick up!

HEY cANUTES, WE HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE DOWN HERE FOR Canadian CAR GUYS! move down. better weather, better food.?? more cars, more womp for your bucks, smarter politicians, long list????? ha

Freakin isn't a swear word...but it's dam close!
Our parts stores buy US and their prices are high now too.
The dollar is killing us!

I know all about it. My daughter lives in New Market (just north of Toronto) We went up there a few months ago, and the exchange rate was VERY much to our favor, but when she came down here last month, the rate killed her.
Anyway, that price is BS. $183 US converts to about $251 Canadian. The rest must have been shipping. I stopped sending gifts to Canada a long time ago. I just send USPS International Money Orders. If we buy a grandkid a $50 gift, it costs $60 to ship it up there.

you need to get a friend in the states to free ship this to and he can usps to you as used car parts for under 100 bucks .

i musta been drinkin when i ordered the exhaust, jegs invoice said 543$. checked my bank and order was 741$ canadian.. WTF. called jegs, turns out they sent me 2 sets of exhaust and it was already shipped.too efficient! jegs said to refuse one parcel and they will reimburse me, should be interesting to see how this plays out financially! shipping was 99 US$. Definitely going to pay more attention in the future!

Hi Rigger, try setting up an account with cbiusa.com in the closest border town to you. Go into their web site and follow the instructions. There is either an annual fee or a pay per use charge.I have been using this service and it works great. When you cross the border after picking your parts up from CBI tell the border gaurds the truth...you picked up parts for your classic muscle car and I can bet most of the time they will let you through without the taxes.try it.
I saw my PYPES exhaust on ebay and then Summit price matched so I ordered it from them ,had it sent to CBI and went to pick it up...no problems at customs

And also most car part suppliers in the states usually ship for free across the USA therefore saving you the shipping cost.

20 min setting up a mail box 50% less shipping or no charge to border will take chance crossing or declare still cheaper then shipping across

thanks guys, unfortunately i live pretty far north of the border, probably a 14 hr drive, and due to certain indiscretions in my youth i cannot cross the border! the gas money,food and hotel fees would outweigh the shipping costs we are forced to pay.

LOL, you and I both! Difference is I live an hour North of the border. But I have buddies who cross all the time so they pick stuff up for me. It does suck you're so far away. It really is cheap to ship within the lower 48. But that stupid imaginary line on a map adds a hell of an increase on anything!

Just bought some grill trim from another member in Min., for 225 US, got hit with 127 in fees on top of the 50 to ship. Stay away from UPS. USPS has a 5 dollar flat rate.

...heh,we're up to 35 cents on the dollar including the 2% the banks take,as of Friday
keep your fingers crossed!

Here on the island we use Seawings Express , they have an office in Blaine Wash. that you ship to then they bring it into their office at Victoria Airport for cheap , like 25 bucks for my rear valance and crossmember , they call you when it's there and you go get the paperwork from them and walk into the airport customs office and self clear the shipment, ie pay the tax but parts for antique autos are duty free so it's just the sales tax then go back to their office and get your package , simple and cheap when you get the free shipping in the US to get it to Blaine.

Can't do anything about the exchange tho eh ! I just ordered a pair of AMD trunk extensions from Ken's Vintage Rehab in Kamloops , they list for 129.99 US each , he's charging 164.99 cdn which is pretty fair but the added tax and BPX makes the whole deal like 412 cdn bucks for the pair all in .Hmmm I better call and check his math now that I think about that seems a little high on the tax and shipping .

Hi Rigger, try setting up an account with cbiusa.com in the closest border town to you. Go into their web site and follow the instructions. There is either an annual fee or a pay per use charge.I have been using this service and it works great. When you cross the border after picking your parts up from CBI tell the border gaurds the truth...you picked up parts for your classic muscle car and I can bet most of the time they will let you through without the taxes.try it.
I saw my PYPES exhaust on ebay and then Summit price matched so I ordered it from them ,had it sent to CBI and went to pick it up...no problems at customs

And also most car part suppliers in the states usually ship for free across the USA therefore saving you the shipping cost.

Thanks for this. I will probably give this a try soon.

greedy effing American Corporations working with greedy effing Canadian Politicians to scam us out of our natural resources at a deep discount . They sell it as being good for Canadian manufacturers because it makes their products more competitively priced on the global market , the reality is there aren't any effing Canadian manufacturers left since NAFTA brought Mexico into the mix and Globalization moved our good manufactureing jobs offshore , sooo the only thing we ship is raw resources like raw logs go out and 2x4s come back , Potash for Aluminum and Crude to you lot etc..... We sell crude oil to American refineries who sell us back gas made from our oil at twice the price you pay for the same gas , half the effing world economy revolves around Canadian resources going out and value added products coming back , it's called Free Trade and it really means Canadian resources Free for Americans .

Your welcome by the way -Cheers

HEY cANUTES, WE HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE DOWN HERE FOR Canadian CAR GUYS! move down. better weather, better food.?? more cars, more womp for your bucks, smarter politicians, long list????? ha

of course your not referring to the Donald,,,, r u?????? as for the bucks thing,,, better check the math,,,dude!

Going fishing in SK 1st 2 weeks in Aug. I would to be willing to carry something to Portal in
N.Dakota if you pick it up there. I'm driving from Chicago area to Dore Lake so whatever fits in my boat. Might cost you a beer

-
Back