Freds 73 Scamp restore on a budget

-
Cars on stands it would be nice to have a hoist but not in the budget yet. Gotta move the X pipe back to clear the Gear Vendor.
funny how what you have influences the next step, i was just thinking if i had the indoor space you have, i'd be satisfied... but not really, cause my next step would be getting a hoist
:lol:

funny how what you have influences the next step, i was just thinking if i had the indoor space you have, i'd be satisfied... but not really, cause my next step would be getting a hoist
:lol:
Always something to add to the pile then need to build a bigger shop. lol

Looking great Fred! I like the black accents on the plane. We are thawing out here finally. Still a lot of snow on the ground and super wet. Hemi says to tell ya hi and bring treats!
Would like to stop buy and check out that nice car of yours and spoil Hemi real soon but with all the crap going on I don't want to spread anything. Sure miss drinking all your booze though.

View attachment 1715502188 View attachment 1715502197 Cars on stands it would be nice to have a hoist but not in the budget yet. Gotta move the X pipe back to clear the Gear Vendor.
A lift will change your life, man. I'm telling ya. Got mine used and there was other places I was gonna spend that cash, but man I can't say I ever spent money more wisely. Really speeds things up and saves your body.

Car's looking awesome!

A lift will change your life, man. I'm telling ya. Got mine used and there was other places I was gonna spend that cash, but man I can't say I ever spent money more wisely. Really speeds things up and saves your body.

Car's looking awesome!
When the scamp is done I will get a lift just hope my body holds out that long. exhaust is the last thing I need to do under the car but I'm sure I'll destroy something under there in the future.

When the scamp is done I will get a lift just hope my body holds out that long. exhaust is the last thing I need to do under the car but I'm sure I'll destroy something under there in the future.
I hear ya. I waited till after my car was on the road too, lol.

20200406_161924.jpg
20200406_162312.jpg
20200406_161940.jpg
20200407_142710.jpg
Got the exhaust about in but ran into a little trouble hooking up to the headers as you can see so gonna have to bend the **** out of it and cut and splice then should be good. lol
Mickey Mouse? NO not at all this is normal **** trying to put an old car together we all been there I think.

View attachment 1715502754 View attachment 1715502755 View attachment 1715502756 View attachment 1715502758 Got the exhaust about in but ran into a little trouble hooking up to the headers as you can see so gonna have to bend the **** out of it and cut and splice then should be good. lol
Mickey Mouse? NO not at all this is normal **** trying to put an old car together we all been there I think.
It'd be a lot easier to fix that if you had a hoist. LOL
But you can do it!

I'm an old man stop over and give me a hand.
Plenty of beer for ya.:)
I've beenTrying to wiggle my way out there but now this virus is shutting everything down and screwing everything up!
I do got a question though. Do you know how your sunroof goes back together? I have a factory body manual that has a lot info, four pages on the sunroof alone.
20200326_131954.jpg

I could try take some pictures of the pages and send them to you. Let me know. Steve

Beautiful color and hellava build. I have been following this 1 and others. The 72+ are great candidate's and way easier than the rusted 1's. I cant blame y. Its crazy how far some go to repair tho. Im glad the rust bucket cars are getting some tho. Wish I had a body guy that liked mopar around here. I know all those steps but that's the hardest part of any build or resto. Salute to you my friend!

I've beenTrying to wiggle my way out there but now this virus is shutting everything down and screwing everything up!
I do got a question though. Do you know how your sunroof goes back together? I have a factory body manual that has a lot info, four pages on the sunroof alone.View attachment 1715502991
I could try take some pictures of the pages and send them to you. Let me know. Steve
Thanks Steve I got mine working good. Wow I'm surprised you have that hang on to it good info.
I here ya this virus has everything screwed up.

Beautiful color and hellava build. I have been following this 1 and others. The 72+ are great candidate's and way easier than the rusted 1's. I cant blame y. Its crazy how far some go to repair tho. Im glad the rust bucket cars are getting some tho. Wish I had a body guy that liked mopar around here. I know all those steps but that's the hardest part of any build or resto. Salute to you my friend!
Thanks I here ya lots easier to restore than the older ones and would like an older one but just don't have the patience to deal with all the rust issues.

Thanks Steve I got mine working good. Wow I'm surprised you have that hang on to it good info.
I here ya this virus has everything screwed up.
Excellent! The sunroof must be a rare option to find on these cars now. Stay safe.
I've had that book for over 40 years now. And it still works good! Lol

Last edited:
I drank a cold one , for a toast to you , yesterday evening !
When you showed your car pictures on a Forum I did the same opened a beer and sat and stared at your nice ride. Would like to see it up close some day and have a beer with ya.

I striped the trunk all most all anyway. I used POR-15 and as some people don't use the metal prep that POR-15 has before coating the paint on, I did. Then etched primed and used Raptor Bed liner on the trunk and inside and under side of the car. I didn't have a rotisserie and decided to lay on my back to do the under side. Not really the best but the under side was in great shape and had plenty of under coating on so minimal rust. Did I do it the right way ???? just doing what I think is good enough.

Making a mental note of your tip posted above this when I pull Project 72 into my shop.
Attention to detail takes 99% of the time invested in anything. I like what you have done sir looks really good with a lot of attention to detail. Gary

Very nice

I striped the trunk all most all anyway. I used POR-15 and as some people don't use the metal prep that POR-15 has before coating the paint on, I did. Then etched primed and used Raptor Bed liner on the trunk and inside and under side of the car. I didn't have a rotisserie and decided to lay on my back to do the under side. Not really the best but the under side was in great shape and had plenty of under coating on so minimal rust. Did I do it the right way ???? just doing what I think is good enough.

Making a mental note of your tip posted above this when I pull Project 72 into my shop.
Attention to detail takes 99% of the time invested in anything. I like what you have done sir looks really good with a lot of attention to detail. Gary

Very nice
I sure been enjoying doing this build makes it nice being retired and taking my time.
It's not perfect I could have done better I think but it gets to expensive and I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off not making a tailor queen.
Thanks for your comment Gary great bunch of people here.

20200409_135832.jpg
Waiting for muffler clamps and hangers so put my side glass in today after having them tinted and scratched the tint on both door glass trying to install them. Gonna have to redo them so pored me a drink and gonna go cook dinner and see if I can't screw that up as well. :BangHead:

-
Back