Freds 73 Scamp restore on a budget

-
going to replace the TQ convertor?
Just spent $700 on a new one with 2,000 miles on it, will have it checked out first but hoping not.
I don't know much about trannys Chuck do you think I screwed it up?

Just spent $700 on a new one with 2,000 miles on it, will have it checked out first but hoping not.

You can flush out that new converter. Probably just burned the clutches and bands in the trans that can eadily be replaced with new.

i have no idea. i wonder if it can be opened up and checked/cleaned and rewelded by a TQ builder? no idea what that would cost

You can flush out that new converter...
Fred, does yours have a drain plug like the old stock ones used to? fill with fluid, swirl around and drain? idk, can't hurt.
doesn't @CudaFactHackJob build trannys. might have a suggestion

You can flush out that new converter. Probably just burned the clutches and bands in the trans that can eadily be replaced with new.
Yea the friend that is rebuilding my tranny is checking out the converter to make sure it's good.
Not gonna make more mistakes this time that's why I'm taking it to a good tranny guy.
Not gonna be long before I'm to old to replace another tranny. lol

i have no idea. i wonder if it can be opened up and checked/cleaned and rewelded by a TQ builder? no idea what that would cost

Fred, does yours have a drain plug like the old stock ones used to? fill with fluid, swirl around and drain? idk, can't hurt.
doesn't @CudaFactHackJob build trannys. might have a suggestion
No drain plug on mine I checked but hopping it will be able to be cleaned out.

Not gonna be long before I'm to old to replace another tranny. lol
that's what i keep telling my wife about the whole car. "got to get this done dear. don't have a lot of years left to enjoy this" :lol:

could be worse
23a05ca54a7e4cc16e69312c86e62afe.jpg.421f39db3372592f94c651cd7f001c1e.jpg

Transmission back in and everything adjusted proper. Working great now and had a good visit with Lon my transmission guy. He spent time showing me all the parts to my tranny and how it all works, then sipped on some good whiskey and admired his 67 fish rag top.
20201010_123233.jpg

Looks like winter is here ended up with 2" of snow the other day so Scamp is getting tucked away for winter. I'll put it on jack stands and cover it up but as all of us know it will always be work in progress, just having to much fun tinkering with my car.
20201021_142558.jpg

I never get tired of seeing pics of your great car. How does she feel with the new trans and converter?

I never get tired of seeing pics of your great car. How does she feel with the new trans and converter?
Great but only put about 40 miles on it so far.
Gonna do a quick highlight on the build real soon and I think will be the last post for my restoration.
Could ya put some pictures of your 69 rag top here? I would love to see it.

No drain plug on mine I checked but hopping it will be able to be cleaned out.

I have been messing w/ mopar hotrods and drag cars for 50ish yrs to some extent , and have never seen a drain plug on any stock mopar convertor or an aftermarket one either. --I did own a neal chance chevy take apart one time tho----------

I have been messing w/ mopar hotrods and drag cars for 50ish yrs to some extent , and have never seen a drain plug on any stock mopar convertor or an aftermarket one either. --I did own a neal chance chevy take apart one time tho----------

Here is a factory converter drain plug on a '76 360 727 truck converter.

76 360 727.jpg

Here is a factory converter drain plug on a '76 360 727 truck converter.

View attachment 1715617372

Back in the late '70s the guys we knew at the transmission shop were drilling and tapping the converters in the vehicles so they could drain the fluid out during their trans service, filter change, and band adjustment work.

Imagine they were tapping them with a little fluid still dripping out to keep any chips from tapping flowing to the outside the converter. Then they would put their small little 5/16" headed plugs in to seal them again.

Back in the late '70s the guys we knew at the transmission shop were drilling and tapping the converters in the vehicles so they could drain the fluid out during their trans service, filter change, and band adjustment work.

Imagine they were tapping them with a little fluid still dripping out to keep any chips from tapping flowing to the outside the converter. Then they would put their small little 5/16" headed plugs in to seal them again.
Not to smart when it comes to converters but that sounds like a good idea.

Not to smart when it comes to converters but that sounds like a good idea.

Have also dropped the trans pan, wash it out, put on a new filter, put it back on again, put the same amout of fluid back in that came out. Start it up, let the new fluid run through the converter again. Repeat that one more time to help replace the fluid in the converter with new.

The transmission shops also have the transfusion machines that tap into the trans cooling lines and pumps new fluid into the trans while letting the old fluid out. Trans guy says it takes a good amount of fluid till it runs clear. The pan does not come off and filter does not get changed, but at least it gives you a quick full system fluid change without dropping the pan.

Have had them do this to a couple of vehicles for me to get fresh fluid in them. When the fluid gets old and breaks down it starts to loose it lubricating qualities, then the parts start going away.

Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

Have also dropped the trans pan, wash it out, put on a new filter, put it back on again, put the same amout of fluid back in that came out. Start it up, let the new fluid run through the converter again. Repeat that one more time to help replace the fluid in the converter with new.

The transmission shops also have the transfusion machines that tap into the trans cooling lines and pumps new fluid into the trans while letting the old fluid out. Trans guy says it takes a good amount of fluid till it runs clear. The pan does not come off and filter does not get changed, but at least it gives you a quick full system fluid change without dropping the pan.

Have had them do this to a couple of vehicles for me to get fresh fluid in them. When the fluid gets old and breaks down it starts to loose it lubricating qualities, then the parts start going away.

Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.
Need to do a tranny fluid change in my daily driver and that's a good idea.

Nice gotta stop by sometime and check them out.
You're welcome anytime, Fred. We'll crack open a nice bottle and we'll talk about when our cars were young. BTW no matter how much I love those cars they'll never have as nice a paint as yours!

You're welcome anytime, Fred. We'll crack open a nice bottle and we'll talk about when our cars were young. BTW no matter how much I love those cars they'll never have as nice a paint as yours!
I don't know about that yours looks great and the bottle looks like a good Idea...

-
Back