freeze plug kits

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a freeze plug kit that includes the head plugs I found this one and it appears that it does but it doesn't say that it does (or doesn't)
Its melling MPE613R kit.
Melling MPE-613R
Does anyone know of a kit that does if this one doesn't?
For 5 bucks this is a really good deal. Thanks

Not sure, could always use the summit online chat help or call them, they are generally pretty helpful. I personally prefer brass plugs as I don't have to worry about them rusting like a steel one.

I'd advise you to use the "deep" brass plugs.

The deep style is easier to install and the brass material lasts longer and seals better.

Buy both from Mancini’s.
They sell each as a kit.

I'm looking for a freeze plug kit that includes the head plugs I found this one and it appears that it does but it doesn't say that it does (or doesn't)
Its melling MPE613R kit.
Melling MPE-613R
Does anyone know of a kit that does if this one doesn't?
For 5 bucks this is a really good deal. Thanks

Looks like your kit has the right plugs, but they are all steel. For 4.99 I would be leary, made in china?

Small Block MOPAR DODGE BRASS FREEZE FROST PLUG KIT 273 318 340 360 408 SB

Here is a brass frost plug kit that will work, has the brass head plugs too.
From the ebay seller als499
ebay, item number: 262476907663 24.00 plus 5.00 ship
Have bought these before from AL at ALS499 in Zumbrota MN
and on ebay, good seller , good parts.

MoparFrostPlugs.jpg

Good Luck on putting your Small Block Mopar together.

I agree with those who recommend the brass plug kit. They don't rust.

Looks like your kit has the right plugs, but they are all steel. For 4.99 I would be leary, made in china?

Small Block MOPAR DODGE BRASS FREEZE FROST PLUG KIT 273 318 340 360 408 SB

Here is a brass frost plug kit that will work, has the brass head plugs too.
From the ebay seller als499
ebay, item number: 262476907663 24.00 plus 5.00 ship
Have bought these before from AL at ALS499 in Zumbrota MN
and on ebay, good seller , good parts.

View attachment 1715303475

Good Luck on putting your Small Block Mopar together.
Thanks I will look for these!
Thanks guys for all the replies I will go with the brass ones.

How about these? they are deep brass plugs they are the mellings just the brass version.

Screenshot_20190315-003826_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have another stupid question. What is the 2nd large steel plug for? I know one is the cam plug what's the other one?

I always use brass too. I like to glass bead the outside so paint will stick to them. If you dont the paint will flake off after some time. Same for the steel ones but it happens faster on the brass ones.
Im not sure why they include the extra cam plug. The one with the double lip is correct, use that one.

Federal-Mogul I bought at napa has the larger flange, and are brass.

381-8010
219-9487

Made in USA

There is two cam plugs included in the kits usually, And NO the one with the double lip is NOT always correct (Mopar Mike 1974), It would depend on what year of a block is being used. 60's thru to about 73 used the flat dish plug and 73 on used the double lip style. 1 kit, both plugs, use the one needed for the block you have.

The depth of the "step" where this cam plug goes , on the early block is .225 inch deep from the outer most edge (that would use the "concave plug") and the depth is .385 inch for the later block (that would use the "double step" style plug).

There is two cam plugs included in the kits usually, And NO the one with the double lip is NOT always correct (Mopar Mike 1974), It would depend on what year of a block is being used. 60's thru to about 73 used the flat dish plug and 73 on used the double lip style. 1 kit, both plugs, use the one needed for the block you have.
The double lip will fit mine then it's a 77 engine. I'm pretty sure the one that came out was the double lipped one.

Ok I ordered the melling deep brass set.
I have another stupid question.
The two 9/16 hex plugs on the side of the block where can I find them? What are they called so I can look for it?

The two 9/16 hex plugs on the side of the block where can I find them? What are they called so I can look for it?

Those are the block drains. Just use a brass NPT pipe plug from the hardware store. Some people put petcocks in them to drain easier.

They are 1/4 NPT thread, any hardware store will have them.
Look for yellow brass, some places sell a red brass and it is inferior.

-
Back