Freon capacity

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
My 66 barracuda has factory AC. Getting ready to recharge the system and get it working again. I have one 12oz. Can of R12. How much more will I need for a complete recharge?

My 66 barracuda has factory AC. Getting ready to recharge the system and get it working again. I have one 12oz. Can of R12. How much more will I need for a complete recharge?

Does it have anything in the system now? Regardless, I've never charged by the factory spec. I charge using the gauges. when I get good pressure on both sides that correlates with the ambient air temperature, that's where I nail it down.

65 FSM says Plymouth systems use 45oz of R12! 3 cans.....it also states 8 oz after foam clears in sight glass. Page 710 of FSM

Does it have anything in the system now? Regardless, I've never charged by the factory spec. I charge using the gauges. when I get good pressure on both sides that correlates with the ambient air temperature, that's where I nail it down.
Don't know if there is anything in the system. Car sat for a few years. I took the ac belt off. Compressor would kick on, but blows hot . I'm going to take it to an AC shop, but I wanted to source the R12 Freon before taking it in.

Don't know if there is anything in the system. Car sat for a few years. I took the ac belt off. Compressor would kick on, but blows hot . I'm going to take it to an AC shop, but I wanted to source the R12 Freon before taking it in.

Be EXTREMELY careful purchasing R12. There are a lot of very dangerous substitutes. People even sell propane in R12 labeled can......and it does work and will cool quite good.......but I don't think I have to expound on the dangers "there". Just make damn sure what you get is really R12. Here's a hint. If it's real, it ain't gonna be cheap. I'd convert it if it was mine.

Please take the warning on purchasing real R-12 very seriously. You need a 609 certification to buy real R-12 any legitimate source will ask you for your certificate. Also as a hint there is no such thing as R12A. If you see R-12A on the can know that it is mostly R-134A and a voodoo mix of other refrigerants as oil carriers. As to system capacity From empty you are looking at about 3 1/2 12 oz. cans. That your compressor kicks on says that there is enough pressure in the system to satisfy the low pressure cut off switch. If you use real R-12, your system has a sight glass, add R-12 until the sight glass is clear( no foam) when the compressor is running and add a few oz's more. Last time I looked real R-12 was going for $30-40 a 12 oz can for old stock cans. Old stock is all there is for real R-12.

Also, if the system is that far down on refrigerant you really should evacuate what is in there and check the oil level in the RV-2 compressor and top off as required. The FSM will give instructions for making a small dip stick to check oil level. Nothing will kill an RV-2 like no oil.

I would not put any refrigerant charge in your system until you are sure that you system is leak free. It will need to be evacuated (vacuum pulled) to remove any moisture and to see if it will hold the vacuum before it can be recharged.
This little vintage item that I have makes it easy....

100_4591.JPG

100_4592.JPG

Last edited:
I have one can of 12 oz r12 I have had a long time. I'm taking in to a AC shop for the full service. They have access to r12.

-
Back