fresh rebuild start up problem

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys i am in the process of starting up my fresh 383. i turned the engine over maybe 50 to 70 rotations before i relized that the fuel pump was not working. my question is, is there a chance I have risked a cam failure? because she did not fire rate away? i am putting a new fuel pump on tommorrow and trying agian. and i did use cam and lifter comp lube and did pre prime the engine. the cam is a hyd 458 lift. thanks

Aw com'on you already know the answer. Of COURSE you need to inspect it, with a B/RB ya don't even need ta drain the coolant or pull the distributor

My question is, "why did you do this?" On a fresh fire, if that thing cranks more'n about 4 seconds and doesn't spit, cough, gargle, or RUN, I'd be lookin as to WHY

Aw com'on you already know the answer. Of COURSE you need to inspect it, with a B/RB ya don't even need ta drain the coolant or pull the distributor

My question is, "why did you do this?" On a fresh fire, if that thing cranks more'n about 4 seconds and doesn't spit, cough, gargle, or RUN, I'd be lookin as to WHY

well i was dropping a little gas in the carb so it was firring abit. and when i say 50 to 70 revolutions that was aproxx a complete minute of no start. so what now. pull the valve covers and relube the lifters. or am i screwed? thanks

you brobably are fine.
i had bad fuel pump on my 318 rebuild too.
it started and un fine until fuel bowls were empty and then it stopped.
I refilled carb twice before I noticed bad fuel pump.
I had primed oil pump and checked oil pressure before all this.

now engine has over 2000 behind and all is fine.
btw I cranked my car more than 10 seconds after fuel bowl was empty.

You may not have a bad pump , when you installed the pump it may not have seated on the pump push rod . I have had this happed before

You may not have a bad pump , when you installed the pump it may not have seated on the pump push rod . I have had this happed before
i sure it is the pump. i took it off and put it in the vise and tested it.
thanks guys. off to look for a new pump.

You should be okay, I know when I was firing mine for the first time it took a few revolutions to get it going, well it sputtered a few times and died. Mind you I had maybe only about 15-20 seconds of crank time with a few quick fires during that. I have about 600 miles on the motor now and my cam is perfectly healthy!

I hope you are using a good break in oil or additive? because from what I understand the lube you put on the cam is gone pretty quick, and once its gone its up to the additives in the oil to protect the cam. Also change the oil right after, you would be amazed what the oil looks like, mine looked pretty dirty, and I thought something was wrong. But after my third oil change at the 500 mile mark its starting to look pretty clean now, and I'm getting barely anything on my magnetic drain plug. Also it wouldn't hurt to open up the oil filter to see what it looks like.

Only way to know forsure without pulling it apart is to just fix the issue and break it in like normal and see how it does. I bet your ok tho. You haven't started to develop a wear pattern on the cam/lifters if it hasn't run. So just make sure when it DOES start it has good pressure and you keep the revs up 2000-2500 for 25min and vary the speed every so often and make sure your cooling system is functioning!

Also a good way to check to see if everything has broken in as it should is to take the valve covers off and make a line on all of the pushrods with a sharpie. The goal here is to make sure they are all spinning, it is a bit messy but its a good way to tell for sure everything is happy in the motor. I did that with mine and they all spun like they should. If one isn't spinning, you may have some damage to the cam...

i might pull the lifters and relube them. them

i might pull the lifters and relube them. them

Its worth the piece of mind anyways. I did that with mine because I had a hard time with the rocker gear so I ended up spinning the motor over quite a bit. Just felt it couldnt hurt to put some more lube on the lifters/cam.

hey guys the engine started up good after i installed a new fuel pump. once it was running i kept the rpm above 2000 for 15 mins. it seems to be good. thanks

good luck on your new engine :)

mine had to keep rpms over 3000, but mine in small block 318.

-
Back