Fresh Startup Procedure.

-
Use this chart for your alignment today...
View attachment 1715043324

If you have a MOPAR distributor, these limiter plates make it real easy to limit your mechanical advance in the distributor.
FBO Systems
Thanks. I will print it off and hand it to the alignment guys.

As far as the distributor goes, I think it is a generic mopar style distributor. Will that still work?
IMG_1859.JPG

Thanks. I will print it off and hand it to the alignment guys.

As far as the distributor goes, I think it is a generic mopar style distributor. Will that still work?View attachment 1715043327
You'll probably find when you go to the alignment shop, they don't have the specs for your vehicle or they are for the original bias ply tires. The specs in this chart will give you good results. I used the typical street performance numbers and like it. Yes, the FBO limiter plate will work on your distributor. You said you have your initial timing set at 10 degs. With the vacuum advance disconnected, increase RPM to 3,000 and make sure it is between 32-38 degs. With this plate, you can increase your initial timing and limit how much the weights move within the distributor to limit your mechanical advance. It has numbers on the plate. If you want to limit your mech advance to 10 degs, just install the plate with the weights in the holes marked 10. It's easy.

Also, should I be worried about the steam from my driver side breather? I have never noticed it before.
It isn't steam... it is oil/blowby vapors. (IIRC, you did not re-do the rings and such.)

Do you have a PCV valve in the other side, or a breather cap like this? If not, then this vapor will increase at cruise; a PCV valve will fix it for idle and light to moderate cruise; at WOT, a PCV valve will not correct this. A PCV valve will keep the crankcase cleaner and help to keep moisture out.

If you want to add a PCV valve, first see what a vacuum gauge shows that you have for vacuum level in the intake manifold at normal idle.

It isn't steam... it is oil/blowby vapors. (IIRC, you did not re-do the rings and such.)

Do you have a PCV valve in the other side, or a breather cap like this? If not, then this vapor will increase at cruise; a PCV valve will fix it for idle and light to moderate cruise; at WOT, a PCV valve will not correct this. A PCV valve will keep the crankcase cleaner and help to keep moisture out.

If you want to add a PCV valve, first see what a vacuum gauge shows that you have for vacuum level in the intake manifold at normal idle.
There is another breather on the other side. I knew it wasn't steam, but I didn't want to call it smoke. I will test vacuum once I get back from the alignment shop. I guessing that the original cam produce enough vacuum. I remember testing it a while back and was at 9 or something like that. So low I couldn't use a brake booster.

I need to add the PCV. My other breather drips oil onto the headers. I have changed the breathers and can't ever get it to stop.

OK, just tie a diaper around the breathers, problem solved. And while you're at it tie a diaper around the timing cover seal, and tie one to the bellhousing cover. too.
You have got to be kidding. Two breathers is not going to build up more pressure than a PCV setup. I've used both. They both work and have their benefits for using or not using one.

You have got to be kidding. Two breathers is not going to build up more pressure than a PCV setup. I've used both. They both work and have their benefits for using or not using one.
are you not reading the thread? he said, oil is dripping out of the breathers. What do you think it's going to do on the freeway, or worse on the track?

are you not reading the thread? he said, oil is dripping out of the breathers. What do you think it's going to do on the freeway, or worse on the track?
He may not have a baffle underneath the breathers. If you don't, I would suggest installing some if you can. At WOT, it's still going to leak. The PCV isn't doing anything at WOT. It may not be as bad since the suction through the breather may prevent oil accumulation, but it will still leak.

I'm confused. PCV or no PCV. I don't race. I don't want oil dropping any more.
Do you have baffles installed underneath your breathers? If not, that will help. The only reason I ended up using a PCV was to get more air into the engine to increase my RPM a bit at idle. This topic is very one sided and it is usually on the side of whatever the person currently uses. Either way is fine.

Do you have baffles installed underneath your breathers? If not, that will help. The only reason I ended up using a PCV was to get more air into the engine to increase my RPM a bit at idle. This topic is very one sided and it is usually on the side of whatever the person currently uses. Either way is fine.
No baffles.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm just tired of whenever the PCV comes up, it's "You need to have one!". Like they are trying to justify their own decision to use one. I gave him my phone number to call me and discuss what I have experienced, not try and convince him either way.

I thought I would let you guys see what you all helped me get back on the road. I usually am posting on 4BBodies unless it's about my 340.
IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG

I will be happy once I get it tuned up. There are some carb gremlins. I'm taking it over to Carb Connection next week for some tuning.

Other than that, I am very happy with all the changes.

I'm not positive those are the guys, but a buddy took his 71 challenger over to a similar sounding shop, and the guy drilled out the constant feeds on his original TQ.

-
Back