Frickin' Computer Cars, Plymouth Voyager

-
Here are the code numbers off the BCM, don't know if it was ever changed before I got the van. But it worked fine before the lights and wipers acted up.

OK, it's a 2.4, 4 cyl, non computer 3 speed automatic trans without overdrive. Manual windows, manual mirrors, AC, but no rear AC / heat, short wheelbase, no security system, no cruise control.

Pretty much the simple baseline van. One slider door only on passenger side.

Thanks

View attachment 1715483071

I am hearing that the last 2 letters on the BCM's unit number are for the firware id that it was programmed with, and that they will still work if those 2 end letters are different.

I replaced mi e several years ago with a junkyard one. Worked fine except the car now had 50k more miles on the odometer because that’s where the electronic odometer is.

I had a similar problem with my '05 Caravan. I messed with it for days & couldn't find a fix for it. I was talking to an auto repair tech & he suggested taking both battery cable off & holding them together for about 30 seconds. I tried it, low & behold, all of my accessories worked again. For some reason it resets the BCM to factory default settings.I don't know if it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

What is the last 4 #'s on the BCM? the BCM pictured looks to be from an 03'. I have several from a 98' cause I chased after this exact same issue. A list of the vehicles features would be helpful, as in does it have power locks or theft, that there is the stickler. A BCM with anti theft installed in a vehicle without anti theft (98 Caravan) will trigger the theft alarm (in my case the van didn't even have) as soon as you hit the door lock button .Once this happens, the "virus" is now in the ECM, BCM, radio and the speedo head. All 4 components now need to be replaced as a unit from another donor. There absolutely is no un-doing the "triggered" theft feature in a 98 caravan BCM!

Boy this is really discusting ^^^^^
Thanks for the heads up. A couple of toggle switches and 6 feet of 14 ga. wire is looking better all the time. Then I don't need the BCM to operate the headights and wipers.

Short drives in and out of town here, 5 minutes each way, for groceries and goods. Not so critical if things are not 100% perfect, getting to be an old van.

I like to keep them working with a work-a-round or the right fix if it is cost effective and not a royal pain to do.

I had a similar problem with my '05 Caravan. I messed with it for days & couldn't find a fix for it. I was talking to an auto repair tech & he suggested taking both battery cable off & holding them together for about 30 seconds. I tried it, low & behold, all of my accessories worked again. For some reason it resets the BCM to factory default settings.I don't know if it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks, yes tried that one . .good trick . . no joy.

A couple of toggle switches and 6 feet of 14 ga. wire is looking better all the time. Then I don't need the BCM to operate the headights and wipers.

Knowing what I know now about BCM's in a caravan, the toggle switch idea would have been better off. Had to give up on the van and use it for parts for another. I just couldn't find another used BCM with the exact BCM # with the EXACT vehicle features this one had.

for engine management i'm OK with but some of the stuff i think sucks especially when you half to go to the dealer to play with the computer with a enormous $bill !!

Knowing what I know now about BCM's in a caravan, the toggle switch idea would have been better off. Had to give up on the van and use it for parts for another. I just couldn't find another used BCM with the exact BCM # with the EXACT vehicle features this one had.

Boy that is too bad, I don't like getting beat on these fixes any more than the next guy.

That's a double whammy, a person has to loose out on the car and it's value cause can't get it fixed, then a person has to go out and buy the next car and spend even more money. These car manufacturers don't want you fixing your cars, the just want to keep selling you the new ones.

I like having a plan "B" work around in my back pocket to turn to when all else fails and keep things on the road.

Flagship One
I used to use them all the time when I was still in the automobile business.
I would get a PCM/TCM/BCM from them at least once a month there for awhile.
They're not expensive, and with a little info on your end, their stuff is plug and play.
For a 98 Voyager, should be no problem.
The nice thing is they come with the latest updates and software. So if your PCM P/N ends with an AD and the most recent update is AM, don't panic, it's ok.
If you're unsure of application, or your application isn't listed, give them a call. They've repaired a couple of PCM's for us over the years.

Flagship One
They're not expensive, and with a little info on your end, their stuff is plug and play.
The nice thing is they come with the latest updates and software. So if your PCM P/N ends with an AD and the most recent update is AM, don't panic, it's ok.
If you're unsure of application, or your application isn't listed, give them a call. They've repaired a couple of PCM's for us over the years.
Those are ECM's not BCM's, the wiper, headlight glitch is in the BCM!

The 99 voyager one is a booger to change out. Gotta like standing on your head.....

The 99 voyager one is a booger to change out. Gotta like standing on your head.....

Thanks, this 98 BCM is pretty easy to R & R once you get through it. Had it out once already, did not see any burning or loose loose pins inside. I know sometimes the resistors or capacitors can leak sending the voltage to a different path, or not at all.

Got it back in again.

Thanks

Last edited:
Flagship One

Thanks for your input, was following my gut checking the online reviews for that reman company . . . just read the reviews . . it's too bad.

My favorite ECU/TCU reman company has been Cardone through the local parts stores, I have had great experiences with them. Any how now I know the parts I need to go after.

Thanks.

Cardone has a repair/return program. Check their site.

I like all the wiring, ignition, and simple cable controls on this one, 76 Dodge D100. Simple plastic slide crotch cooler vents, can even put your favorite canned beverage down in the bottom of the vent on the passenger side to keep them cool and out of sight.

Radio Delete too, who ever thought that would give you bragging rights ?
Lol . .

This '76 is my way of thumbing my nose at the establishment. Something I can easily fix and fun to drive.

Even that cross ventilation from the crotch coolers up out through the wing window vents in the doors works just fine to move out the heat on a 90° day.

Simple . . .

View attachment 1715482968
I want to get a truck like this, I have a '76 360/727 from a 1 and 1/2 ton camper in the corner of my garage, 60k original miles. Don't really need another Caravan with the boy having his own car now, and we don't need to haul hockey stuff all over. I've had four caravans, three second gen and one first gen, they were all great vehicles... but they have their quirks.. electronic boogaloos being one. First gen was the best, but smacking a big whitetail buck at 45 sent that one to the boneyard. The shorting of the battery cables surprisingly fixes a lot of weird stuff. Getting ready to bone out the '01 I have in the garage now, power steering hose was the last straw. Only 140k on it, runs great, but no rockers left to speak of.. gotta love Wisconsin. I have a lot of '01 caravan parts if you need any.

Thanks for your input, was following my gut checking the online reviews for that reman company . . . just read the reviews . . it's too bad.

My favorite ECU/TCU reman company has been Cardone through the local parts stores, I have had great experiences with them. Any how now I know the parts I need to go after.

Thanks.
Notice how Flagship One lets you see their reviews and Cardone pays Google not to have that up?
There's a reason for that.
All I'm going to say on that.
Good luck.

-
Back