From the "I did not know they 1st used a 62 Dodge " files

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
So, they put the turbine in a 62 Ddodge .. huh, never knew that ..

jet62.jpg

if you find the "mother lode" of Chrysler turbines there is a LOT MORE to it than just the popular "T Bird like" cars and this one. They did one or two '50's cars!!! And they did something up into the '80's as I recall.

Chrysler’s ill-fated Turbine program went way beyond the iconic Ghia car

story-1954-Plymouth-Turbine-rear-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&h=1653&ixlib=php-3.3.jpg

The last two cars in the program were a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron and an ’81 Dodge Mirada, both of which the government held onto after the program ended. In the early 1990s, longtime Chrysler turbine mechanic George Stecher spent the final two years of his career looking for those cars. “We owe a lot to George. He eventually found them sitting in a parking lot of a nuclear power plant in Ohio,” Rosenbusch says. “So we picked them up and now they’re in our collection.”

rysler-LeBaron-Turbine-front-left-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&h=990&ixlib=php-3.3.jpg

0-Dodge-Truck-Turbine-front-left-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&h=1232&ixlib=php-3.3.jpg

Last edited:
Aspens also. Web search it, they did many many turbines.

pretty cool idea really. And the public liked them. You would think an cat converter could have helped emissions. But I’m sure they tried many things since they were at it for decades.

Last edited:
Emissions wasn't as bad as their fuel economy. They will run anything flammable but you'll need a lot of it.

-
Back