From the pasture; The valiant story of my '66 Valiant

-
"Valiant effort" on the car save. Nice read, interesting that the torsion bar cross arm remained healthy.
I was pretty amazed by that myself. I feel confident in floor pan replacement, but not that. I think what rotted the floors is the windshield seal leaks just enough. Coupled with 20 years in a pasture gave the water plenty of time to work slow.

Alright, time for an update. Albeit a small update, and not particularly well written, but hey it still counts right? I mean cmon, its hot out, and im lazy. Fine.

So once I got two large gaping holes in my floor, there was no turning back unless I could figure out some way to rig up some pedals and such. Since that most likely isn't going to happen, I needed floors. So I headed out one morning to start the long and slightly scary prospect of trimming up these new shiny floors, and to fit them (more or less) into the car. The first thing I did was to clamp the new floors to a handy little stainless steel rolling table i liberated from a derelict (and more than slightly terrifying) dentist school about ten years ago, when i was into exploring abandoned places. So feeling pretty smart, I clamped it down to give me a good handy place to work in the open.

k2ifpaw.jpg

What I actually managed to do was blind myself when this super large chunk of reflective material decided to reflect back the 115 degree Texas sun, and nearly burn off my finger prints when i tried to touch it.

Plymouth floor 1
Kirk 0

After a slight adjustment away from the sun, I got started. Measuring. Marking. Measuring again, and again and again. I would like to say I'm kidding about the number of times my OCD made me go back and verify my last measurement, but, I cant. It was about that bad.

All this trimming has me feeling like I’m in the Salon of Oz. Anyone remember that scene where they get ready before they see the Great and Powerful Oz?

Snip Snip here, snip snip there
Working without pause..
That’s how we keep you in repair, in the Merry Old Land of Oz.

Hmm. Maybe the heat is getting to me.

DhDF8t0.jpg

Ze6Pj8a.jpg

I did find that a towel over the biggest part of the metal kept the migraines at bay, and there were no fires started. I did however find a new tool I really like, that took the sharp, finger removing edges off the metal. This thing is gold!

HGCODxo.jpg

Okay in all fairness, I did manage to (yes even after measuring so many times) short the passenger pan, but the drivers went in perfectly. Guess its true, you do learn from your mistakes. And boy aint I making plenty.

w3CFJ11.jpg

Okay so after about a half day of trimming and fitting, I had two big pieces that fit my holes real well.

(insert drum Sting here, see also: ba dum tiss )

So like I said originally, I am no pro. I did the best I could with the floors, and my borrowed welder, and thinking that anything im about to do was better than I had, I got started.

Last chance to get out and get your money back.

Still with me? You are? Here we go, in mostly fast forward.

I did have to cut some extra off this passenger side, because it was already bad, so hell, why not. From there I was able to dab in some extra as I went around.

5jAFWkC.jpg

A little grinding later:

abbzuwJ.jpg

Then the drivers side:

V0aaSMd.jpg

After quite sometime later, I sat back marveling at the new floors. Not half bad! I mean, nothing to write home about of course, but like they say, "baby you shoulda seen what I started with." Dunno who says that actually, but I felt like it fit here.

C98qGIc.jpg

MDFMJlV.jpg

WHEW

I am not a welder. I do not play a welder on TV. I never wanted to play a welder, and the most experience I have ever had was stick welding at the family farm on random things. This is definitely not that. It was at this point that my sun blind, welding weary, covered in flakes of metal and dirt *** decided to go home. Tomorrow we seam seal and get ready to paint the floors!

Until next time, remember that every step forward, no matter how small, is a step forward. With this car it feels more like a weird salsa dance, swinging wildly all over the place, than actual steps forward, but hey, if it was easy, I guess everyone would try to work on old derelict Plymouth's in distress.

The few, the proud, the moronic?

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else but I think the floor pans came out great. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Very enjoyable thread.

Looks great, FYI, i hope the areas where the "non stock" seams are like at the trans tunnel and aft end are tack welds that eventually connect together to form a solid weld bead. These areas were not seams to begin with. If they are just tacks like 1" apart from one another the floor will be weak in these areas, and more susceptible to rusting thru in these spots.

Last edited:
Looks great, FYI, i hope the areas where the "non stock" seams are like at the trans tunnel and aft end are tack welds that eventually connect together to form a solid weld bead. These areas were not seams to begin with. If they are just tacks like 1" apart from one another the floor will be we as k in these areas, and more susceptible to rusting thru in these spots.

Yeah, I went back and dobbed in again between each one. By the time I ground it down it was pretty much one solid piece. I dont think its going to be an issue; turned out pretty solid.

Alright, so after my welding/grinding endeavor, I would love to tell you I busted right back and went back to work on the Plymouth the next day. I would like to, but that would be a bold face lie. So what I DID do, was talk to some old timers at a body shop near by about seam sealers, do some googles, and drink a bourbonish beverage. All in all it was quite enjoyable.

Now one thing you may not know about me (and may not care) is that I have bought a couple (numerous - Ed.) things while enjoying bourbonish beverages, to include a set of wheels in a far off state (see my trip to Arkansas for Cragars, this post) and a 4wd Nissan Xterra.

Don't ask.

But this time, I was super comfortable in my purchase, even though it cost me $44 and showed up damaged. Hmm. Damaged things in the mail seem to be what Im best at getting. However, I was told this was the absolute bees knees, baby. And even though I hate bees, I ordered it. Took a week to arrive, with the big ole hoss kick in one side non withstanding, it was still sealed and ready to go.

TjOqkUb.jpg

So a coat of recommended automotive primer, and a liberal coat of seam seal (top and in some places, bottom) later, I was in bidness! What an easy day! Paint! Spread! Take pics! Go home!

May your efforts all be as easy as this day was.

eQq5xXB.jpg

oCLU1Qt.jpg

UmpEqoo.jpg

w6wJ03y.jpg

Last edited:
Now the very next day, I went back! Hard to believe aint it? Yep, thought so. Seam sealer and primer dry, now its time to unleash the big dogs.

cGzxpGy.jpg

Now lots of people believe in this product, that product, etc, oh Masterseries is the best, yadda yadda. For me, POR15 is the greatest rust encapuslator I have ever used, hands down. The problem is, that POR15 is permanent. (And $50 bucks a quart, but I digress)

But Kirk, that’s what we want dummy. Permanent rust proofers!

Yeah, but not on your hands, arms, and forehead. Forehead? Yep. Once I was lying under a car, doing my rust encapsulating thing, when a mouse ran by. I jerked, hit my forehead on the bottom of the VW I was sealing, BAM. One black, permanent smudge on my forehead. I literally had to take light sandpaper and get it off. Then go to work, and listen to a buncha silly asses who think they are super funny, asking me how I got a rug burn on my forehead. Nyuck nyuck nyuck. Go play golf or something, I got work to do.

Hoping to avoid a forehead smear, and the subsequent mockery this time, I gathered up again, a very very specific set of high end specific tools*.

ogiI6ps.jpg

FT9XE6q.jpg

View attachment 1715589668

*well they get the job done, anyway

Not pictured are my goggles, respirator and throw away protective suit. Now another thing I use pretty frequently, and catch hell for is this, the fiberglass mesh. I usually use it over areas with pin holes, and have had absolutely wonderful success. In case anyone wants to copy my hillbilly ways, what I do is put the POR15 out, press the mesh in, and coat it again. When it dries, I coat it again. Then I coat the bottom. Once it dries, it's hard like steel. I've used it before and I'll use it again. It's not stupid if it works, and this works great if you can't, or don’t want to replace the floors because it's just a buncha little holes. Trust me it works.

AKCPvux.jpg

So after a stiff brushing of the whole floor, then a very thorgough vacuuming, its time to get started. Once you start rolling this stuff out, you can't really stop, and take your gloves off, etc. You gotta commit and get it done. So I made sure I took a leak first, got a swing of water, scratched my nose and everything else I needed to touch before I was wearing this stuff. Away we go!

WX5l1jo.jpg

D3EMRU8.jpg

AwG1OBJ.jpg

Covering pinholes.

5HRnOAg.jpg

swbLIbN.jpg

8YXOWeg.jpg

tK7HjAe.jpg

I also laid on my back and did the bottoms, everywhere I could reach. By this time, I had decided that maybe my respirator wasn’t doing as well as I thought, as my head was swimming and I was pretty sure I was seeing things. I climb out carefully, because my bad *** Clorox gloves are coated, and my paint roller is used up. But it's coated, coated again, and coated well. If this rusts again in my lifetime, I would be realllllllllllly surprised. It’s the most solid thing on my car I'm pretty sure. And I'm proud of how they look. Why you ask? Hides my shitty welds, and my stellar grinding. Now, looking at my floors, you would think I was a damn professional. I mean, probably not, but its good enough for the girls I go with.

Between the heat and the fumes, I may be delirious.

Gloves off, respirator off, suit off, all into the trash! Now to leave that to cure, so I can later reinstall the interior. Maybe. My back seat cover is pretty poor, so I need to research that, or find me a snazzy Mexican blanket. Haha

Until next time constant reader, be careful what fumes you inhale in the shop, because this unicorn standing in the corner eating a pastrami sandwich and barking at me is an asshole. I don’t wish that one anyone.

Also, can you get a DWI on paint fumes? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
That floor willl out last you and I, or at least me!! I am old!! lol
Reason resto guys don't use fiberglass, it gives the suckers a buzz they can't handle!!!! lol

Kirk, I especially love the way you are writing about your restoration. It gives me a chuckle reading it and no doubt others as well. Very well written, and very good work especially on them floor pans. Keep up the good work.

Well it has been a little bit since I last updated you, oh Constant Reader, so let's take a quick jaunt down Valiant Lane, okay?

As you may or may not remember (it's been quite a bit since this Valiant effort began) the interior in my car as it was delivered to me, by me, was quite poor. The original interior was both ruptured and covered-ish in some crazy green colored cover. Said cover was dirty, and covered in poo de la Ratta, causing me to avoid it like the literal plague. Felt weird to the touch. Like a microfiber towel on a callused hand weird. Are you not familiar with that skin crawling sensation? No? If you rubbed a microfiber towel on my face, I would literally admit to killing President Kennedy decades before my birth to get you stop touching me with it.

*shiver*

Thank whatever you consider a higher power if you don't feel the same way i do about it, and let's revisit, shall we? I think we should.

akWNlfT.jpg

oP2F2f9.jpg

Ooh no.

k201BKU.jpg

Oh that’s just nasty.

GkOZ8A7.jpg

This backseat is does not look conducive to snuggling with the honeys. I mean, I don’t plan to honey snuggle in here, but I like to keep my honey snuggle options open. I'm kinda wise like that.

So the plan here is to attempt to re assemble the interior. When I made my big boy birthday list, I asked for a new carpet kit, some seat covers, maybe a hemi swap. What I got was a chicken spaghetti dinner and a hug from my mamma.

Honestly, I think I came out on top. I think the overall budget for this "build" is more money that jingles vs money that folds, and my jingling pocket money and doesn't include the costs for interior revitalization at this exact moment, so let's just see what I have.

The vinyl floors are still in pretty decent shape, so with a good solid cleaning, they are going back in.

ZUaswuw.jpg

KLeLt1o.jpg

There is one 50c piece sized hole on the passenger side, but two things sort of negate that as a negative.

· Floor is black below, so it should blend in

· I honestly don’t care.

cbH99wa.jpg

I may have all the seats done at some point, but since we are largely (read that as completely) immobile, first, let's see what's under the super gross seat covers. Maybe I can save them. Maybe they will look good! Maybe it's Maybelline. So since the seats are out currently, I plan on using my super high tech, extremely mobile, wildly expensive workbench (Editor's Note: It's the tailgate of the truck). Once the dusty, baby shiet colored seats were flopped out on the workben..tailgate, I started snipping away (careful now, careful) at the old cover. It immediately began to shed a sh*t ton of fibrous materials that probably arent made of brightly colored asbestos but could be, and since I am prone to sinus infections, and coughing/sneezing in public these days may result in a fist fight, back into a mask I go.

JaVbbG4.jpg

1SZIh86.jpg

hm8H8RX.jpg

This seat is brought to you by the letter "W" as in "who the hell used 987 hog rings on the back seat bottom?" 987 hog rings that then got extremely used to being where they were, and quite reluctant to release their hold on the long dead remnants of this cover. One by one I snipped, unbent and removed each hog ring while trying to not damage the vintagely fresh OG seat cover below.

Tedious? Brother you don’t even know the half.

But the results were worth it!

lSpPrqt.jpg

I'm suddenly pretty happy who ever decided once upon a million years ago to add crap seat covers over OG goodness did it, because so far, this ain't bad! I can use it. Time to work on the fronts and install.

tVaXf9L.jpg

3Geszuv.jpg

gEiKBsZ.jpg

They are just as decent as the rest of the car, which aint saying much, I admit, but my pocket book is very excited. Vinyl floor in, 345 tiny screws and trim in.

DQBEhxc.jpg

Now this is the point that I tell you I did splurge and buy a seat cover for the rear upper. I wasn’t planning on it, but I was pretty stoked that gas station I stopped at for Gardettos and Powerade on the way to my shop ALSO sold seat covers in the exact size for my Plymouth. That original one had ruptured from the sun, and was spilling stuffing out. It also wasn’t honey snuggle quality, but this new one totally is. I mean, at least its good enough for the girls I go parkin with. I carefully removed the old green cover (another 987 hog ring pains in the *** later) and installed the new. I might have a second career as an upholsterer, you just never know.

KPdOJ2o.jpg

I mean, look, it even has fancy fringe on the bottom, is the right color palette and everything. Plus it came with a coupon for 15% off my next purchase at Ernesto's Taco Emporium. (I'll be honest here, Ernesto's was more "converted school bus" than emporium really, but hey, chase your dreams by staying mobile so the health department never knows where you are I always say.) A seat cover and a discount on school bus made tacos? Bargain at twice the price.

8qmjoMQ.jpg

umLfCtw.jpg

VftmAcK.jpg

Imma be honest, I'm pretty damn happy with the way it turned out. Worn? Yes. Free? Mostly yes. Better than it 'twas? Yup. Good 'nuff? Hell to the yep.

Well that’s all for today ladies. This feels like an honest days work, my right hand is still folded up like a lobster claw from holding pliers all day, and I am getting ever closer to being road worthy (I hope). I just wanna drive this thing before I die. I feel like I earned it. Sorta. The next big step for me is to finish the brakes, and tackle the engine bay. As you recall, I had her running once (albeit on a fuel can, and roughly, and a million years ago) so surely I can make magic twice!

I am now off to ice my right hand. I think a cup will fit nicely in it, you know, to hold the ice for the cramp. And i mean, if i have a cup and ice already, shouldn't a little coke be in there? This is thirsty work. And I do feel a bit parched. And I mean lets be honest. What is a bit of coke and ice with out just a smidge of whiskey? Uncivilized, thats what. And I dont want to ever be accused of being uncivilized. So I will. You know, for science.

Tune in next week (well, that might be ambitious) when Ole Kirky tackles finishing the brakes and fits his shiny wheels!

I enjoy the progress reports.
And nothing creeps me out like a musty old rodent interior except maybe microfiber...

So my long suffering Valiant project, seems to both grow ever closer to "completion" while at the same time, dancing further away. Not so much of an update, but two things, one of which is more of a general complaint, really.

So as we all know, I bought a set of SBP Cragars a while back. They came with 215/70 and 205/70 tires. Tires are brand new, I'd love to use them if I could, but they seem to be a bit big. Anyone run this size? Rears fit fine, fronts seem to want to hit the upper fender, but I haven't had it on the ground yet to check. I was going to do that, but as you'll see shortly, I couldn't.

So, tire size recommendation? I may lower the front slightly, depending on how it sits once down on all four.

Second.

I fit the passenger side wheels fine. I do like this look. Ignore my messy shop. Its the sign of genius I have been told. I disagree, but who knows.

y6kSVwm.jpg

The problem is, the silly drivers side and its silly left hand lugs. So I had ordered left hand lugs for Cragar wheels quite a while back, but never fit them. Then, when i finally did go to fit them:

a7gvqG0.jpg

Yeah, thats a no from me dawg.

The shank is wayyy too large for these wheels. I called the guy i ordered the lugs from, and looked all over the world. He said something about certain Cragars from a certain manufacturer or time or something, they wouldn't work on. Woulda been nice for you to tell me that, (or list the shank size in your ad) yee ole wheel hardware saleman, but I guess that would be just too much work, eh? Regardless, apparently there are no left hand lugs for Cragar wheels that are this size. So now I guess I'll convert the LH lugs to RH. Shouldn't be hard, just one more thing to do I suppose. I should have, but never did, notice the difference between the two.

8MpYJ5W.jpg

Looks like ill have a set of brand spanking new LH lugs and washers for sale if anyone needs them. Off to the corner of the Interwebz to order some RH studs and a different set of lug nuts.

TjVwOMv.jpg

Man the car sure looks good with the new wheels on it.

When removing the old studs from the front drum be very carful as the stud flares as time goes on and if you just push it out with a press it makes the stud whole larger and the new stud fits very loosely. At least this is what happened to me.

They came with 215/70 and 205/70 tires. Tires are brand new, I'd love to use them if I could, but they seem to be a bit big. Anyone run this size?

I don't think you will have a tire fitment issue unless we have crazy different backspacing. I have the same car, and I'm running 215/65-15 on the front with 245/60-15 on the rear. I have no rubbing issues. I did originally, but that was due to tired springs in the back and lowered front. I added helper springs in the back and cranked up the t-bars and now all is well.

I swapped out to RH studs in the rear (fronts will change to RH when I put the KH discs on). As moparmat2000 says above, I got them from Rock. They have a zillion kinds but I found the correct ones. If you need it I think I have the part number somewhere I can dig up.

Also, if no one told you, the front studs are swaged into the drum. You have to remove the swage before removing the stud or you will ruin the drum. My rear studs went out and back in easy-peasy using a HF floor press.

Sorry, just can't get onboard with whitewalls on Cragar's.
You know, I'm not sure myself. I don't mind them, and the tires I already have. I'd like to have raised white letters probably if I got to choose.

RH studs ordered from the Rock. After I did the spark test to make sure my drums were iron, not steel. Interesting. Now we wait. Maybe I'll drive this thing one day. Maybe.

JuD49aS.jpg

I see 2 different baywindow busses, what else you got hiding? 1 looks like a tin top westy.

I see 2 different baywindow busses, what else you got hiding? 1 looks like a tin top westy.
Good eye! The brown one is a 78 champagne i converted to a camper. Its been idle for awhile now, but Ive camped all over in it. The green one is a 69, that has been back burnered. They arent getting cheaper, so it just sits. I may get to it some day. Maybe. There's also a Miata in there and a 68 beetle. I have a buncha crap floating around. Haha

Ignore my messy shop.

Oh pshaw, sir. Your shop is immaculate. If you want to see a messy shop feel free to stop by anytime. I will help you locate the Magic Path in here that allows you to slither through all the crap as you try to get something done.

DSCN0723.JPG

DSCN0724.JPG

DSCN0725.JPG

DSCN0726.JPG

And these are some of the better photos. It looks LOTS worse at the moment. I am rebuilding the engine for the truck inside its own bed, which I believe constitutes some kind of vehicular cannibalism.

DSCN0732.JPG

-
Back