Front A body suspension help please

-
I have the hemi joint type on my drag car, but I do not know that I would use them on a street car. Other than that I said what you said.
Urethane strut bushings keep the wheels straight.
A street car does not need that much suspension travel.
All the rubber bushings everywhere in the front suspension limit travel, not just the strut rod ones.

I have 70k miles on the heim jointed strut rods on my Challenger, and those are year round, all weather miles with no boots on the heims. Never had a wear issue with heims at the strut rods. At the UCA I don’t like heims and I have had wear issues there, but at the strut rods I’ve never had problems with them.

As for suspension travel, a street car needs more suspension travel than almost anything else you could do with it. Drag race, road race, autoX can all get away with less travel than on the street. Unless you’re going to off-road rally race, a street car needs the most suspension travel.

I have 70k miles on the heim jointed strut rods on my Challenger, and those are year round, all weather miles with no boots on the heims. Never had a wear issue with heims at the strut rods. At the UCA I don’t like heims and I have had wear issues there, but at the strut rods I’ve never had problems with them.

As for suspension travel, a street car needs more suspension travel than almost anything else you could do with it. Drag race, road race, autoX can all get away with less travel than on the street. Unless you’re going to off-road rally race, a street car needs the most suspension travel.
Glad to hear the heim joints hold up. I have gone to heim joints on my entire front end and am about to install nylon lower control arm bushings. I am after maximum weight transfer. IMHO stock rubber bushings restrict the movement of the suspension. My suspension never moved as freely as it does now strictly from removing the rubber. I guess on the street if you were to hit a big pothole you would need lots of travel. But I would think stock shocks and rubber would minimize the travel except in the extremes. But maybe not lol.

DF2182EE-0029-4000-8597-58C922E84755.jpeg
A little update on my setup and maybe it will help someone searching for answers.

I want to say to thank you for the advice in this thread! I replaced all of the bushings in the front end, tie rod ends, idler arm and plated the lower arms. I also installed 1.03 torsion bars and the small poly bumpstops. I gave the alignment shop the specs and told them, this is what I want, I don’t care what the book says. WOW!!! It’s a whole different car! I took to Roadkill ziptie drags in Tucson (about 1k miles round trip) over the weekend and it drove soo damn nice. It wanders a little bit so I’ll have to look at the column connection and the box. No more bottoming out up front. Took everything in stride and rode great. I can’t say the same for rear but that’s for another thread. My buddy who was with me, was not agreeing on upgrading the torsions. But after he rode in it and drove it...he’s sold! I’m still to replace the Kyb’s with Bilsteins but it’s going to have to wait for the $$. To the doubters...if you truly drive your car, these upgrades are worth every penny!

-
Back