Front band adjustment along with long tube headers

-

Overlook68

Reaction score
My 68 came with long tube TTI headers on the 360. Prior owner never installed a kickdown lever or cable. So I am finishing up Lokar kickdown cable install and a fluid change.

I don't see any room to get to the nut to loose the adjustment and for sure no room to use a torque wrench. My only guess would be to drop the transmission crossmember and angle down the transmission.

What are you guys with long tube headers doing for band adjustments?

My 68 came with long tube TTI headers on the 360. Prior owner never installed a kickdown lever or cable. So I am finishing up Lokar kickdown cable install and a fluid change.

I don't see any room to get to the nut to loose the adjustment and for sure no room to use a torque wrench. My only guess would be to drop the transmission crossmember and angle down the transmission.

Unfortunately dropping the trans won't help a lot because the headers drop along with the trans/engine. Gives you a little more floor pan clearance but that's about all. I used a offset box end wrench to loosen and tighten the locknut. Was still a bugger

just snug the band slightly and back it off number of turns. Never used a torque wrench myself

Unfortunately dropping the trans won't help a lot because the headers drop along with the trans/engine. Gives you a little more floor pan clearance but that's about all. I used a offset box end wrench to loosen and tighten the locknut. Was still a bugger

I didn't think about offset wrenches. I looked at all of my extensions, swivels adaptors.

My gut guess is I will need a rebuild anyways. Prior owner drove at least 3000 miles on the new transmission WITHOUT a kickdown cable. So the transmission never had proper pressure. Fluid looked darker than I would expect and the bottom of the pan had a fair amount of shiny flakes.

Good luck. I managed to get a boxend wrench on it, but I gave up due to the risk of buggering up the flats on the nut.
There just wasn't enough room to get a good grip on on the wrench. I guess I could've dropped the header, but that's another can of worms. Hopefully and offset wrench works for you.

I skipped on the adjustment. Seams that the prior owner didn't drive much or hard enough to wear the bans out. Despite not having a kickdown cable for correct internal pressure.

-
Back