Front Brake Drum outer spring

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Members. Question is how do I stretch that , I am guessing, the cooling spring, back on to the outside of the front brake drum once it has been removed from the drum. This is on a 65 Dart, 10 inch x 2-3/4 inch inside braking surface on the drum. Tried different methods with no success. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for the help. sgrip65

It's a spring. Doesn't it stretch?
Hey Mike. Yes, a spring does stretch, but the darned thing is over 50 years old. I did what I know to stretch it out, but it just won't go. Like me, got too old, and not too limber anymore. Thanks. sgrip65

Hey Mike. Yes, a spring does stretch, but the darned thing is over 50 years old. I did what I know to stretch it out, but it just won't go. Like me, got too old, and not too limber anymore. Thanks. sgrip65
I'm with ya there. I bet if you pry it it won't spring back.

I used a piece of sheet metal as bridge (made a donut) and transferred off of the old drum to the new

find an old road cone and cut to fit and roll it on

I used a piece of sheet metal as bridge (made a donut) and transferred off of the old drum to the new

find an old road cone and cut to fit and roll it on

Excellent idea. Thanks. sgrip65

You could do like I always do. Throw them in the garbage can. It is not for cooling. It was an afterthought for noise reduction. If everything is right with the brakes, they aren't needed.

You could do like I always do. Throw them in the garbage can. It is not for cooling. It was an afterthought for noise reduction. If everything is right with the brakes, they aren't needed.

Hi Rusty. Thanks for the input and knowledge. 65 Dartman commented the same thought. Appreciate your time in answering my qurstion. sgrip65

-
Back