Front drum brakes get large bolt pattern b/e body parts

-

lunacy

Reaction score
Can B/E body 10" front hubs and drums be used on an 10" A body to get the larger 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern? The wheel bearings are the same part#s, just not sure if the spindles themselves measure the same.

I know I can do a disc swap to get LBP, I'm just curious about this scenario.

I dont have a specific answer but if the bearing numbers are the same the only other thing would be spindle length. Im betting they will be the same.
I have always just done the disc swap so never ran into this scenario before.

Yes.
I put 10" front drums from a 70 Charger on a 74 Dart that came with 9" drums just to get the larger bolt pattern. The Dart used 2 different upper control arm/ball joint designs too. The 9" used the small ball joint, the 10" drum and 11" disc used the larger ball joint used on all B and E bodies. That ball joint only fit the A body control arm used on cars with the 73 and later front disc and the 10" front drum brake A body models.

Yes.
I put 10" front drums from a 70 Charger on a 74 Dart that came with 9" drums just to get the larger bolt pattern. The Dart used 2 different upper control arm/ball joint designs too. The 9" used the small ball joint, the 10" drum and 11" disc used the larger ball joint used on all B and E bodies. That ball joint only fit the A body control arm used on cars with the 73 and later front disc and the 10" front drum brake A body models.

Did you swap control arms and spindles or just the hubs? I didn't think 9" and 10" spindles were the same. I'm looking to just swap hubs, not balljoints and spindles.

I swapped the knuckle/spindle, backing plates, Lower ball joints...basically everything between the B body upper control arm and the lower control arm. The B body lower ball joint fits the A body when doing the traditional 11" disc conversion and also when doing this drum swap.
I did this merely to be able to use the 4.5" bolt circle and a set of wheels that I liked for a video movie stunt car. I don't think there is that much gain in going from 9 inch drums to 10 inch drums.

My goal is use rotor hats off a newer car put on the hubs in place of the drums. I'm trying to get good brakes without pushing my wheels out the 3/4" that 73up discs causes. I can tell every car with the swap.

I have the e-body drum brake parts still on a car if you need them.

Cool, i sent you a message. I would love to see if my experiment will work.

-
Back