Front end bushings advice

-

seabee

Reaction score
Hey guys, after some under-car time on my new ride (66 fish) I noticed the bushings are totally shot and need replacement. It is my weekend cruiser and by no means a hot rod or performance machine. Can you give me any advice on which type of bushing kits to go for and if there are any special tools/tricks that make the job easier.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

The polygraphite kits available aren't to costly, worth the extra few $ over rubber kits.

I can't think of any special tools required aside from a floor jack, jack stands, socket set /wrenches a pry bar...

Are you contemplating doing front and rear?

The leafs look and feel good but maybe I should hit those bushings as well since it will be on stands for the time being.

I think I'll be ordering a front end set, too. Based on what I've read and heard (which is not unanimous), I'm going with Moog parts. Don't want to risk the chance of squeaks with a poly kit. I also called P-S-T. I know many FABO members have used their stuff. When I called them, the guy couldn't tell me what brand stuff they would be selling, but they had a warranty (like I'd really want to do this job again to replace a defective part!). I left the call with no confidence.

The OEM rubber lasts many years, I replaced mine a couple years ago, it was almost 40 years old. I was looking for a bit of a stiffer ride myself as these old Mopars weren't built to go around corners that well.

The polygraphite kit gave me that, without really compomising on confort.
I personally can't see what could possibly go wrong with the bushing kits, aside from not being the right one.

Millions of cars have rubber bushings. Millions of people are happy with them.

"It is my weekend cruiser and by no means a hot rod or performance machine."

Equals quality rubber bushings.

I would not go polly……. For every guy that loves his polly bushings you will have another that complains about squeaking, bad fit or the bushing coming lose…

Please note…… I make this recommendation based on HIS intended use not YOUR use!

Access to a press is nice but not necessary if you have a good vice. You'll need a ball joint socket or a big adjustable wrench and cheater pipe to get the upper ball joint loose from the upper control arm. Break it loose before you unbolt it from the car if you can.
Thanks, Mark

For the upper ball joints you can rent the appropriate tools from many auto parts stores under their "loan a tool" program. If you don't have a press, you may find it easier to take the UCA & LCA to a reputable shop to have the old ones removed and new ones installed. A lot easier than trying to use sockets & hammer...
C

-
Back