Front End Rebuild Kits

-

Joel Chapman

Reaction score
Any one have any good recommendations on front end rebuilt kits? Also some sites have difference between drum or disc brakes, does that matter? I have a 71 Dart Swinger 318 engine with Disc brakes upfront and drums in the back.

Thanks for all the help I am new to the Mopar and A-body world so any knoweldge is good knoweldge right now.

PST is a vendor/sponsor here and I believe offers discounts for members.

Picked up a kit from PST at a good price plus a 10% discount for us members. All parts were right . Fast free shipping if I remember correctly.

On my 67 kit there is a difference in the lower ball joints for drum and disc. Don't know about on 71. If you have the 4 piston Kelsey hayes setup the lower ball joint is different than drum.

Any one have any good recommendations on front end rebuilt kits? Also some sites have difference between drum or disc brakes, does that matter? I have a 71 Dart Swinger 318 engine with Disc brakes upfront and drums in the back.

Thanks for all the help I am new to the Mopar and A-body world so any knoweldge is good knoweldge right now.
Firm feel, PST, Hotckiss, just depends on how much you wanna spend.

And yes, drum or disc brakes matter. on SOME years, the upper ball joints on the disc brake cars, the stems were bigger and tappered than the drum brake equipped cars, as are the spindles. You'll also need to know if your car has a factory sway bar or not before ordering the kit.

And yes, Rock auto sells the components individually, HOWEVER, and I just learned this the hardway, it is not that much cheaper to piece together a kit vs buying a complete kit from PST or Firm Feel, which include EVERYTHING. I think I saved maybe 3 bucks but it took me an hour piecing it together online.

The disc brake ball joint uses bigger bolts, so the mounting holes are larger.

I pieced together a kit on RockAuto because I was able to get all Moog stuff. The other kits can be a mix of random brands.

I purchased mine from PST and was very satisfied with the price and quality

Any of the above will do fine. I bought my parts over the winter while I refurbed the Kframe. I had some problems with the new Idler arm, it was sloppy! I'd tighten the bolt and it would be fine for a bit and then the play was back. Pulled it out and the bushings we're fine. It finally turned out to be the bolt, they shipped it with a METRIC bolt. Just a bit thinner!!! It allowed it to rock in the mount and the idler bushing to rock on it. I replaced it with the correct grade 8 and it's tight now!!! You can see where the bushing was working on the bolt.
20190804_152210.jpg

I had the idler arm bolt do the same thing as above, too. I got a grade 8 bolt, drilled an 1/8" hole and a castle nut. tighten it down and a carter key.

And, if you would like to go 100 % U.S.A. made -- including the PITMAN ARM ---- I have every drop of it -- brand new ---
But, I won't lie to you -- it will be more expensive than these overseas / offshore kits being discussed --- but you know what they say,
"You get what you pay for........."
Yours, Craig.....

So looking at PST they have a kit that would fit my Dart if it has the 4 piston disc brakes or if it has the 1 piston disc brake. Any one know how to tell which brakes I have from fender tag codes or anything along those lines? Im not in a position to physically check the car, but I am trying to order parts so when I get back I can start wrenching. Also would it be hard to swap over to the 4 piston set up?

I think the single piston started on the 73 and up cars. If it's bone stock I would think it's a 4 piston Kelsey Hayes setup.

EVERY factory "A" body car from 1965 - 1972 received the 4 - piston caliper Kelsey Hayes set up that came through with Disc Brakes -- NO exceptions -- not even Canadian cars -- and we know that sometimes our neighbors north of the border got
"shorted".... Eh?
In 1973, the "A" body vehicles with factory disc brakes (and a far greater percentage) received the single - piston caliper....
And it -- I S -- that specific and exact....

(I sure would be leery of any company / outfit that lists anything other than that......)

I pieced together a kit on RockAuto because I was able to get all Moog stuff. The other kits can be a mix of random brands.
The problem with Moog is that it is no longer made in America. Malaysia I think. I do not know what the quality is now, but I doubt it is what it used to be. I'd just go with PST.

The problem with Moog is that it is no longer made in America. Malaysia I think. I do not know what the quality is now, but I doubt it is what it used to be. I'd just go with PST.

I have no way of knowing but by the looks and feel, the Moog stuff still seems pretty good. Only problem I had was getting the lower control arm boots to sit right. It's like they were just a gnats *** too small.

PST is just a kit of random parts from different brands put together for you. Me, I'd prefer to know exactly what brands I'm getting before I buy.

I have no way of knowing but by the looks and feel, the Moog stuff still seems pretty good. Only problem I had was getting the lower control arm boots to sit right. It's like they were just a gnats *** too small.

PST is just a kit of random parts from different brands put together for you. Me, I'd prefer to know exactly what brands I'm getting before I buy.
I guess I can't argue with your logic. It's just like buying stuff made in China. There is garbage coming from Chine (off brand TVs and phones) and then again SONY TVs and iPhones are made there. I certainly wont argue that MOOG isn't good, I just wonder if it is as good as it used to be. I rebuilt my front end with cheap Advance Auto China junk about 15 years ago, and after a few years I had problems. I got a kit from PST and it has been good since. So although I do like PST, I will agree that Moog is probably good.

All the parts in our front end kits are covered by our lifetime limited warranty for as long as you own your vehicle. In many case we have been using the same manufacturers for your parts for the last 30 years with no issues. The reason that we offer both options under the op's vehicle application is because even though the only option during his cars production was the KH four piston many A bodies in the past 47 years have been converted over to the later 73-76 single piston. By offering this it makes it easier on the customer pick the correct kit. Please let me know if you have any questions about our kits and remember to use the members discount when ordering.

Thanks
James From
PST

-
Back