Front Fender Splash Guards

-

retroron

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I removed my front fender plastic splash cards (they rivet to the frame) when I media blasted the car and I am trying to decide if I should re-install them on the finished car. Are they really needed or are they just "nice to have"? Opinions please.

the big ones between the wheel and door hinges? I would definitely say NEEDED. never tried without. but they are usually covered with crap. unless you want all that up in your hinges...:eek:

missed the part about frame... not quite as important, but yeh. I would still keep them.

Well, being a unibody, there is no frame on your Chrysler A-body. Regardless, unless you want debris and crap kicked up in your door and hood hinges, leave them off. As stated, they are plastic so don’t weigh a lot and keep everything clean with those moving hinge parts. If Chrysler didn’t think they helped keep long run costs down (warranty claims on dirty hinges) they would never have spent the $5 on putting them on millions of cars.

Not sure what car you are working on , but I believe we are talking about these K-frame shields. Sorry if I got it off track with my first post about the big ones in front of the hinges

C6D895A1-1EA7-4967-A086-8E449E74142A.jpeg

Last edited:
H22A4, You are correct about the frame but I was at a loss to describe the part and location. zkx14 yes, I was referring the K frame shields. My front suspension is Magnum Force tubular so I no longer have torsion bars. I'm trying to understand what these shields will do for me.

H22A4, You are correct about the frame but I was at a loss to describe the part and location. zkx14 yes, I was referring the K frame shields. My front suspension is Magnum Force tubular so I no longer have torsion bars. I'm trying to understand what these shields will do for me.
Those shields are there as splash protection from the wheels throwing high velocity water up onto your engine and underhood electrical components. When you hit a decent size puddle, the water is ejected both inboard and outboard of the wheel in a high volume and a high rate of speed.

Mopar put them there to keep the water out of the engine bay. If you have them, I would use them. It’s cheap insurance.

Last edited:
Ddaddy, Thank you, that's the piece of data I needed. Wouldn't want to get my pretty coated headers dirty. :) At $85 pair for new ones it looks like some panel bond is in my future

Ddaddy, Thank you, that's the piece of data I needed. Wouldn't want to get my pretty coated headers dirty. :) At $85 pair for new ones it looks like some panel bond is in my future
what's the panel bond for?

On the vertical section towards the back (on one of the shields) I'm missing some material and there are some cracks that needed to be bonded. I might have to sandwich the repair.
I would definitely put them back on even tho you will probably not be driving in rain or snow gotta keep it original right?

Well, (see big smile) there isn't anything original about this car (member restorations, Sneakin towards the finish line), unless you consider the Gen3 6.4L hemi, 545RFE combo as original, all the body mods or bucket seats from Brand "X". And being from the left coast, I doubt the car will ever see rain and I can absolutely guarantee you it will never, ever see snow. (see big smile) But it will see lots of sun drenched miles.

On the vertical section towards the back (on one of the shields) I'm missing some material and there are some cracks that needed to be bonded. I might have to sandwich the repair.
I have an extra set if interested. PM coming your way.

-
Back