Front frame rails?

-

NorthernMainer

Reaction score
Is there a company out there that makes new front frame rails? Was under my Dart yesterday, and saw some decent sized holes in both front frame rails. I've been told about the safety caps, but are they really that safe? I'm not going to give up on this car over that.

Is there a company out there that makes new front frame rails? Was under my Dart yesterday, and saw some decent sized holes in both front frame rails. I've been told about the safety caps, but are they really that safe? I'm not going to give up on this car over that.
It would help to what year car you have. 67-73 are reproduced. To my knowledge 63-66 are not. 74-76 are the
same as 67-73 except for the bumper attachment arrangement. The 3 later years use the big energy absorbing
bumper shocks.

It would help to what year car you have. 67-73 are reproduced. To my knowledge 63-66 are not. 74-76 are the
same as 67-73 except for the bumper attachment arrangement. The 3 later years use the big energy absorbing
bumper shocks.
not seen the re-pops for any a body?! whos doing that

bumper shocks.
Wrong. 63-66 are exactly the same as 67-early 74.

Sorry about that, the car is a 76. I would like to get the earlier frame rails if they make them, I plan on putting an earlier front end on the car.

Last edited:
Having been there done that.....I'd recommend you take a very close look at the torsion bar crossmember where the anchors are welded. These things rust from the inside out and there is a very good possibility that is ready to go too.

I bought a complete southern front clip that was cut through the rockers behind the t-bar crossmember and through the a-pillars just above the cowl. It included the inner fenders, radiator area and the firewall. I didn't use the firewall.

Wrong. 63-66 are exactly the same as 67-early 74.
Not entirely true either.
They are interchangeable but if your restoring and need "correct" frame rails, there are differences between 63-66 and 67-74.
The early ones only have one alignment hole at the bottom back of the rail (the later ones have two plus a slot between them)
The later frame rails also have an access plate that is spot welded in separately on top at the front where the bumper bolts on. (the early ones are one piece top plate).

Not entirely true either.
They are interchangeable but if your restoring and need "correct" frame rails, there are differences between 63-66 and 67-74.
The early ones only have one alignment hole at the bottom back of the rail (the later ones have two plus a slot between them)
The later frame rails also have an access plate that is spot welded in separately on top at the front where the bumper bolts on. (the early ones are one piece top plate).
I stand corrected. Thank you

No worries.
The only reason I know the differences is because my 65 has rotted frame rails and I bought rails from a 70 duster. For my car it isn't an issue because its just a regular Barracuda (just a driver).
Might be a different story for a rare numbers matching collector car.

I might be waiting until I take the car completely apart, then figure out what to do from there. I'm thinking Ill buy a cutoff from a nice clean car. Believe it or not where the torsion bars pass through, it is very solid there.

-
Back