Front runners, back spacing.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm about to order new wheels and wood like to know about your front runners.
It seems like with the limited width of a front runner the tire is gonna sit well inside the wheel house?
I'm gonna order the most back space I can but on a 15x4 wheel it's not much.
Also 1973 and up BBP is 5x 4 1/2 correct?

Thanks for the advice.

So I use modern inset rims off of a 05 Dodge Magnum for the street (got them with tires for two hundred bucks). I have an extra wide rear axle so that worked fine so I didn't need backspacing back there. But I needed to buy some 5 on 4 and 1/2 by 5 on 4 and 1/2 inch and a quarter adapters to make the fronts work. Later I paid a Machine Shop to hog the centers of this front rims out so they fit without the adapters. But when I was running those adapters I would just put my Front Runners on those with no problem.

5 on 4.5 is correct for the bolt pattern. I believe my fronts are 15x3" rims or 15x4"...not sure, been a lot of years. Front tires are 165R15's if I recall correctly. I use radials because mine is a "street" car (and I have radials on the back).

These were the 15x4’s I had with the stock style suspension. 1.625” backspacing.

063-4.jpg

Looks good. The only back spacing available in the wheel I need is 1.75 so I should be fine right?

Thanks!

Yes that will move the tire in just a hair and will be fine.

What do you folks think about playing with the brake bias to put a little more in the rear?

With having so much more tire on the back would that make sense or is that just dumb?

What do you folks think about playing with the brake bias to put a little more in the rear?

With having so much more tire on the back would that make sense or is that just dumb?
I'm not sure about that even though the tire is much skinnier all the weight is still getting transferred to the front when you stop.

With a bigger tire in back AND if you’re still running drums in back, you need at the minimum a proportioning valve. An adjustable proportioning valve would be even better. If you get and adjustable, take her to a dirt road and start applying the brakes. Adjust it until you start getting even pressure/locking up of the brakes.

I'm looking at ordering a adjustable valve.
What size fitting should I order it to fit?

Thanks for the advice.

-
Back