Front Runners On Street Car

-

EXcappa

Reaction score
Hi All,

How many people are using 17" front runners on the street?
I currently have 15" up front but looking to change to 17" as I'm really liking the look of a few I have seen here
Car weighs 3570 pounds with me.

My car sucked with 15's pushed them bad. so much better with a 205 65 15's.

I run the MT sportsman fronts. They work fine. but are 15's . I like the look of the 17's. I can't imagine they'd work any worse, maybe better. Less deflection.

I run the MT sportsman fronts. They work fine. but are 15's . I like the look of the 17's. I can't imagine they'd work any worse, maybe better. Less deflection.

I'm using 165/80/15 now at they drive great.
But wanting 17s, I'll look at the MT Sportsmans.

Need to find the 17" rims too that will suit with the Convo Pro at the rear

I have run 15" front runners. They suck. As stated, they push really bad......and you DON'T want to get stuck out in the rain.

I have run 15" front runners. They suck. As stated, they push really bad......and you DON'T want to get stuck out in the rain.
AGREED, With the original factory brake bias and some HP it is scary at times (turns and panic stops).Even with all Wilwood and an adjustable valve I had to pull some front brake out and send it rear, you find out quickly that there isn't enough rubber contact up front and to much mass at the rear for controllable quick stops and turns. I have M&H 185/75 15's , can't see the 17's being noticeably different.

mine actually handled pretty damn good with a set of VW front tires 165r15. the alter-k helpped a ton. friends couldn't believe i could keep up with them on those curvy roads... :)

hammonton 007.jpg

hammonton 008.jpg

A-body, Nice car , and thinking about it and I'm positive weight and weight transfer are factors. I also have a Tube K (HDK) but front halved and light at 2960# with 1500 even on the nose. So I probably shouldn't have commented. Tire choice is going to be relative to feel and expectations.

I'll look at the MT Sportsmans.

They dont' give metric specs but the specs they give are:

26X7.50-15, 26" tall, 6.3" section, 4.8" tread, Approved wheel width 3.5"-6.5".

I can tell you they are fine in the rain, brake fine and drive fine. I do not have stock brakes though.

60391970-DSC07017.jpg

Front runners are for going straigt down the strip, would not recommend them on a street car, need at least 205 or wider or equivelant in the standard size.

mine actually handled pretty damn good with a set of VW front tires 165r15. the alter-k helpped a ton. friends couldn't believe i could keep up with them on those curvy roads... :)

View attachment 1715128985

View attachment 1715128986

Always liked that old rust bucket. lol But you're comparing radials to biased ply front runners. Radials......even narrow ones will handle better, because they are designed to leave more contact patch on the road.

Always liked that old rust bucket. lol But you're comparing radials to biased ply front runners. Radials......even narrow ones will handle better, because they are designed to leave more contact patch on the road.

i agree. but its a nice option for skinny front tires on the street...:)

-- I have run 15" front runners. They suck. As stated, they push really bad......and you DON'T want to get stuck out in the rain. --
-- I agree. Also very little friction for stopping. -- They are unsafe, on the street.

They always recommend not running bias ply in front with radials rear for this reason. They are dangerous. Radials all the way. Why do you think radials took over bias ply tires?

They always recommend not running bias ply in front with radials rear for this reason. They are dangerous. Radials all the way. Why do you think radials took over bias ply tires?

Agree on not mixing. That is bad news.

Nothing wrong with bias tires. Both types have advantages and disadvantages.

Old thread, but.....
I ran Goodyear front runners on my car, cause I wanted short, light tires , on a very light car with very small wheelwell openings. I would NOT recommend them for street use on any car over about 2700 lbs.
I run either a full set of T/A radials, or 185/65x15s with bias slicks. I have never had problems with radial fronts with bias slicks.
The new car runs 165/80x15s on 15x4s, with either drag radials or bias quick times. Also, no problems with either rear tire and skinny front radials.
Just a side note: I think the guys running 17" fronts do it for big brakes clearance. I don't see much gain with skinny 17s over skinny 15s otherwise.

Anyone know if the 27 or 28 inch front runners fit ok on a dart ?
I'm getting 2 1/8 tti headers and would like the extra sidewall to look similar to the 30.6 inch tall rear tire

I'm getting 2 1/8 tti headers and would like the extra sidewall to look similar to the 30.6 inch tall rear tire
I honestly don't know, but I would bet large....not.
I have a pair of 235/75s for my 62 Savoy, and it has a huge wheelwell, and it still needed the front edge "relieved" for clearance.
From what I understand reading here, a 26"tall tire is pushing it on the front of a Dart.
And just about any tall tire on my car rubs a header tube at full lock. (2"tube, one trough the wheelwell on each side).

I run a 26x7.50 on 1 15" wheel. My car sits pretty low. I think a 27" would be fine. a 28"..IDK, seems like your stance would look like 4x4 with a tire that tall up front.

I honestly don't know, but I would bet large....not.
I have a pair of 235/75s for my 62 Savoy, and it has a huge wheelwell, and it still needed the front edge "relieved" for clearance.
From what I understand reading here, a 26"tall tire is pushing it on the front of a Dart.
And just about any tall tire on my car rubs a header tube at full lock. (2"tube, one trough the wheelwell on each side).
Thank you,
I think all the hemi dart ss cars draggin out there now have a pretty tall front runner but I just can't tell what it is

-
Back