Front suspension rebuild..Where to go??

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
OK...after all the research I did on my rear axle rebuild. I have totally switched gears and decided that rebuilding the severly worn front suspension is more important than building up the rear axle.

I inspecteed the axle, there is no excessive play, no leaks, no chunks of metal, the brakes are ok (for drums). I put new fluid in it and will just deal with having 2.45, open diff, and drums for a while.

Here is the plan: Complete front rebuild, plus the addition of an after market swaybar (leaning toward Firmfeel), and .92 Solo torsion bars (MP). At the same time I will be ripping out the power steering and putting in my manual box (also need to get steering shaft adapter from Firmfeel). Since I will have everything up and torn apart, I'm going to install a late model starter and migrate my Optima to the trunk.

Where should I get the rebuild kit? I am leaning toward a polyurethane kit, probably from Just Suspension. Has anyone used thier kits? Any other input is welcome to. I want to do this right, without breaking the bank.

I'm probably going to box the lower control arms while I'm at it. (I'd love tubular uppers, but they just aren't in the budget).

I have had the urethanes before and liked them but the do firm up the ride and do pass on thru the steering wheel more vibration and bump steer if you have any at all lso if your front end is out of alignment it deels worse than when the rubber bushings are out of alignment.

In people's experience, do the modern rubber ktis hold upper better than the older stock stuff?

I just don't want to be rebuilding the front end again in 3 years. I'm in Texas, and the heat here is brutal on suspension parts, body mounts, etc.

I installed a Polygraphite Super front End Kit from PST, this winter on my Dart. I was doing front disc brake swap, so I tought that is was a good time for all the bushings and tie rod end to be change also.

In my order they shipped the wrong extra 72 Idler Arm, but they were great on service and sent me the right part, not long after I called.

As for, if the parts are good quality, well I don't know yet, didn't driven the car yet, but parts looks to be of good quality (in my newbie eyes), all ball joints and tie rod end are greasable.

superdart said:
In people's experience, do the modern rubber ktis hold upper better than the older stock stuff?

I just don't want to be rebuilding the front end again in 3 years. I'm in Texas, and the heat here is brutal on suspension parts, body mounts, etc.

In my opinion, Moog rubber bushings are the way to go for a street cruiser. They are a higher durometer rubber than stock, but not as stiff as poly. And the best thing is they will never squeek. Moog also has a bushing with the center offset allowing you to get 3 or 4 degrees more caster. Dialing in more caster is nice with radial tires because they have less rolling resistance than bias ply tires.

Stick with the rubber. the only poly bushing left in my frontend after a complete rebuild is the Upper control arm bushings and I dont care for them either.

Alrighty then...it looks like I will be going with a rubber kit after all. Although I DO have MP Road Race Poly strut rod bushings (they are staying).

Im not sure if you bought the kit yet but i just got done rebuilding my front end today with a Just Suspensions kit and it worked pretty good. It was really easy to put in and to do it all around and that a miracle for me because im still kinda new to this.

The Poly strut rod bushings are fine. You may need to trim them down though. they ae to tick I think.

Nope, haven't bought the kit yet.

The RR bushings aren't too thick...they are that way by design. The shaft that comes with them is longer too.

Check out ESPO Springs and Things. Very knowledgeable people with great prices. Alot of Mopar guys and gals use them. They have a website.

Thanks. I'll have to look into them. I probably won't start the rebuild until late summer. i need to finish my retrofit on the elcetrical system, then I want to drive it a little to shake things out and put a few miles on the motor.

I got mine for the duster from them. Was happy with it. I will say, that no matter what ya put in it, that the weight of the Big block on the front was never meant. I found that the Upper A Arm bushings wear twice as fast. I plan on two alignments per year if I dont stand on her!!!

DusterLake.jpg

-
Back