Front suspension rebuild ?

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My project car is a 67 cuda, that had drum brakes on front. I have a set of 67 Kelsey Hayes disc brake set up. Both are small bolt pattern. The ball joints , upper and lower look to be the same.
When I look the new parts up to order , they list lower B/Js for Drum and diff ones for Disc.
I was checking on PSTs site for a kit, They have the same option.
So which are the correct ones ?
Are they the same ?
Yes I am wanting to put the disc on the car.

Last edited:
If you’re converting to the KH disks, you will need the lower ball joints for the KH disks. They’re different than the ones used with the drums, the bolt spacing is different between the drum spindles and the KH disk spindles.

If you’re converting to the KH disks, you will need the lower ball joints for the KH disks. They’re different than the ones used with the drums, the bolt spacing is different between the drum spindles and the KH disk spindles.
I had that dating wrong. They are both 67 brake set ups . I have them all loose and the disc spindles fit right on the drum lower ball joints and the top look the same also .

I think that the disk spindles have treads to accept the ball joint bolts which are slightly larger sized bolts for the disk spindle. I was in a bind once and put drum
ball joints on a disk spindle using a nut on the spindle to accept the slightly smaller
drum bolts. The bolt spacing is the same, you may have to look around a bit to find
the right bolts for the disk setup.

I think that the disk spindles have treads to accept the ball joint bolts which are slightly larger sized bolts for the disk spindle. I was in a bind once and put drum
ball joints on a disk spindle using a nut on the spindle to accept the slightly smaller
drum bolts. The bolt spacing is the same, you may have to look around a bit to find
the right bolts for the disk setup.
I have all the hardware, just a matter of finding it all and matching it up. Thanks. AL

After looking through all the bolts and comparing the spindles. @66jim is correct. The only difference between the two are the size of bolts . The disc spindle is threaded for the lower ball joint, using larger bolts ,where the drum ball joint bolts just pass through the spindle and backing plate using a lock nut. The ball joints have the same spread.

-
Back