Front tire dilemma

-

Hotwheels sr.

Reaction score
Been building my 71 Demon over the winter. Was a 6 car so changed K member and basically everything. Had it down off the jack stands and a run down the road for the first time yesterday. Running 235/60/15 on the front. They hit the front of the fenders. Because of everything being completely new I know it needs major front end alignment. Do you think that after having this done it will stop the tires from hitting? I'm running Mickey Thompson s/t tires so this is the smallest in this series. I'd like the front and rear tires to match.

I'll try. Thank you
235-60-15 I believe is to big of a tire for the front ,to wide and to tall a 225 is pushing the limits without fender modifications I'm sure others will chime in with there opinions this is just my thoughts good luck

What's your backspacing ? He is right they might be to wide

I believe this is the area in which your tire is hitting? I get a cut off wheel, and some blue tape as a guide, and cut the edge off. Put a little touch up paint on the edge, and you would never know the difference. I have done this on three of my cars. Having said all that, a 235 might be testing the limit. 215 or 225 would be better options.

IMG_20180519_102355206.jpg

Last edited:
Are the 73+ Control arms different, I was once told the track is wider on the ones, so if you swapped the arms along with the K then that may be the reason for the interference where it once wasn't.

Alan

Been building my 71 Demon over the winter. Was a 6 car so changed K member and basically everything. Had it down off the jack stands and a run down the road for the first time yesterday. Running 235/60/15 on the front. They hit the front of the fenders. Because of everything being completely new I know it needs major front end alignment. Do you think that after having this done it will stop the tires from hitting? I'm running Mickey Thompson s/t tires so this is the smallest in this series. I'd like the front and rear tires to match.
those tires would probly rub on about any A body!

I believe this is the area in which your tire is hitting? I get a cut off wheel, and some blue tape as a guide, and cut the edge off. Put a little touch up paint on the edge, and you would never know the difference. I have done this on three of my cars. Having said all that, a 235 might be testing the limit. 215 or 225 would be better options.

View attachment 1715177405
would you have any photo examples of cutting them? So I have an idea of how not to destroy the look. Thanks

would you have any photo examples of cutting them? So I have an idea of how not to destroy the look. Thanks

The only photo I have, is the one I posted. Its pretty straight forward, you make a straight line, and cut it off with a cut off wheel.
Having said that, it looks like your tire is possibly to big. If its hitting the outer edge of the fender, its to big.

The only photo I have, is the one I posted. Its pretty straight forward, you make a straight line, and cut it off with a cut off wheel.
Having said that, it looks like your tire is possibly to big. If its hitting the outer edge of the fender, its to big.
For reference, both my cars have 215/70-14 on the front.

For reference, both my cars have 215/70-14 on the front.
so really the 14"-15" won't matter. If I go with a 215 or 225 70 - 15 there's a good chance they won't hit. I know the height is about the same maybe a little taller but just being more narrow should solve my issue?

What style 15 inch wheel are you using and the width, 15 x 7 police rims or rally rims. I was wondering because I have 15 x 7 rally with 60 series maybe 215 or 225 and I was wondering if they would fit my valiant. Thanks Webby

so really the 14"-15" won't matter. If I go with a 215 or 225 70 - 15 there's a good chance they won't hit. I know the height is about the same maybe a little taller but just being more narrow should solve my issue?

215/70 15 is about 27 inches, 225/70 15 is 27-1/2 inches.

What style 15 inch wheel are you using and the width, 15 x 7 police rims or rally rims. I was wondering because I have 15 x 7 rally with 60 series maybe 215 or 225 and I was wondering if they would fit my valiant. Thanks Webby
My fronts are Cragar s/s 15 x 7.

14" wheels, go with 70 series tires.
15" wheels, go with 60 series tires.
26" tall tires are generally the max you want to go with.

I agree with JD on the 26s being the max..... but 25.1s are better; My 235/60-14s fit really well and I have not experienced any rub,anywhere, at any suspension travel, at any steering input. But I run 1.03 bars and HD shocks and a lowered ride height, with the K about 5.75 to 6 inches off the deck. That 1 inch tire height difference is only 1/2 difference where it counts.
Stock bars and regular shocks will cycle the suspension to a greater degree, so better safe than sorry. Unless your tire-shop is willing to mount a 26 up for testing purposes.

Last edited:
Change it to a 225/60R15 or 215/65R15 and I'll bet the problem goes away. The tire you are trying to use is too big of a diameter.

Change it to a 225/60R15 or 215/65R15 and I'll bet the problem goes away. The tire you are trying to use is too big of a diameter.
The 235/60 is the smallest 60 mickey Thompson makes in this series. I'll either have to mix and match tire brands or get all new tires. Which sucks because these are brand new with 1 mile in them.

As long as my tires are all blackwalls....... I don't much care if the they don;t match.
I would just cut the corners; they're only fenders and it ain't a Bugatti.
I have 205 70 r 15`s on my 68 fastback, don`t even come close to rubbing. Wish they were a hair taller !

-
Back