Fuel dribble in Down leg booster...

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Today I took my 850 Proform carb off of my 422 small block. Totally disassembled it and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. I used compressed air to blow out every orifice in the metering blocks, I also removed the airbleeds and cleaned them like new. The lowspeed idle screws were removed and cleaned. After cleaning everything and reassembly I checked and adjusted the front throttle blade and made sure there was .40 of the transfer slot exposed. I base lined the 4 idle screws at 1.5 turns out. The engine fired right up and was running crisp, I checked the float level and it was almost spot on, a slight wiggle on the fender is all it took to spill over. A slight kick open from the rear barrels got it idling at 1000 rpm. I could smell the tune.. Crisp and fresh..

While slightly actuating the throttle, i noticed the front left booster dribbling fuel ever slightly.. Did I miss something???

:New plugs and fresh oil as well. Plugs look a little fat but still tan. Lots of idle time today.. Yesterday did a cold compression check. 110 psi on the first crank 150 psi on the second and 185 on tbe forth.. All 8 are the same.
Tomorrow's plan is Valve lash.

did you replace the o-ring on the needle and seat ?

it can cause the carb to drip
Yes. I also use a tiny bit of white lythium grease on the O ring..

.. It seems to dribble from the booster slightly when the throttle is tipped in. First time I have seen it.

Thank you for the input dragin

Thanks Rusty. Appreciate your input.

Woodie.

Sho nuff. IMO, as long as there's no fuel output at idle, you are probably ok. When you tip in the throttle, you increase the vacuum signal at the venturi and it pulls fuel in. .....sounds like normal operation. How does it RUN?

Sho nuff. IMO, as long as there's no fuel output at idle, you are probably ok. When you tip in the throttle, you increase the vacuum signal at the venturi and it pulls fuel in. .....sounds like normal operation. How does it RUN?
Runs crisp. A world of difference, the transfer slot was over exposed and there was some shalack in the bowls.. Fuel today is garbo. Did a nice launch out front.. Hooked and Booked.. :)

Woodie

Sounds like it is fine. Do you have ethanol free gas in your area? On my 75 F250, it makes a BIG difference in how it runs and the mileage. Very noticeable.

Sounds like it is fine. Do you have ethanol free gas in your area? On my 75 F250, it makes a BIG difference in how it runs and the mileage. Very noticeable.
Yes we do. Shell Formula, 94 Octane... I think from now on I will take the carb off every winter and clean it out. Next on the list is to try a hotter plug and open the gap up a bit. Running a Ma Mopar copy of the 6AL. Any suggestions on a plugs Rusty?? Have a set of RN9YC in there currently.. Had them on the shelf, gaped at .38

Woodie

Yes we do. Shell Formula, 94 Octane... I think from now on I will take the carb off every winter and clean it out. Next on the list is to try a hotter plug and open the gap up a bit. Running a Ma Mopar copy of the 6AL. Any suggestions on a plugs Rusty?? Have a set of RN9YC in there currently.. Had them on the shelf, gaped at .38

Woodie

What's the measured compression ratio?

-
Back