Fuel Filler Neck Compatibility - 1974 Dart Sport

-

adamm

Reaction score
Howdy,

Does anyone know or have experience with a fuel filler neck from Classic Industries (part# MF46201) and if it will also fit a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport? They look very similar, but my knowledge is limited and the vendor wasn't able to offer much support aside from dimensions. I currently don't have a fuel filler neck.

Additionally, I welcome any other sources for a new fuel filler neck for a '74 Dart Sport. I keep finding pre-73 and 75 up, but for some odd reason can't find one that specifically states it's for 1974.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

MF46201 - 1975-76 Duster and Dart Sport - Fuel Filler Neck
MF46201 - 1975-76 Duster & Dart Sport - Fuel Filler Neck

From the vendor:
32" long
The top is 3" across
the opening is...1.44" so call it 1.5"
bottom is 2" wide

Duster and Dart sport bodies are the same. Believe the year cuts your seeing have to do with the tank vents and charcoal canister fuel return for the smog system. So if you aren’t building a correct resto, I’d use the earlier one...

Duster and Dart sport bodies are the same. Believe the year cuts your seeing have to do with the tank vents and charcoal canister fuel return for the smog system. So if you aren’t building a correct resto, I’d use the earlier one...

Maybe also the introduction of unleaded fuel

I don't know specifically about Duster/ Demon stuff but the Dart/ Valient line, the older non-evap tube had the vent fitting on the side, and had to install from inside the trunk. The later evap controlled cars with no tube vent fitting could be shoved in from the outside of the car

I don't know specifically about Duster/ Demon stuff but the Dart/ Valient line, the older non-evap tube had the vent fitting on the side, and had to install from inside the trunk. The later evap controlled cars with no tube vent fitting could be shoved in from the outside of the car

Good point. As I remember struggling with my buddies 70 swinger getting the filler in. It’s been a minute since I’ve touched my 75 Dart Hang 10.
Check where the filler meets the body. How many screw holes are there? If I’m not mistaken there is a 3 and 4 hole neck flange...

Thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it! I have replaced the tank, pump, and sending unit with a setup from Tanks Inc., so certainly not a factory-correct resto.
- Fuel Tank, 16 Gallons, Steel, Galvanized (Mfr. Tanks Inc #: TCR11D-T)
- Fuel Pump, 340 LPH, 100 Maximum PSI, Each (Mfr. Tanks Inc #: GPA-5)
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit, 73-10 ohms, Each (Mfr. Tanks Inc #: TAN-ORG)

It is a 3 hole flange, and I believe it installs from the outside. However, I had a new AMD rear quarter put on and they do not have pre-punched holes for the filler neck. Perhaps this gives me some more options (3-hole vs. the earlier 4-hole).

If I understand correctly, it would be advantageous for me to use an earlier model that has the vent tube built-in, correct? If yes, do you know if it will fit the same (angle of the neck) so that it lines up with the tank? I'm ignorant of interchangeability (3-hole vs. 4-hole aside).

Here is an example:
Gas Tank Filler Neck 67-69 Dart & Valiant
mf46205_v4-jpg.jpg

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and helping a novice out. I'm happy to add any other information that I may have missed.

I purchased this one for my 74 Dart Swinger and it fit perfectly.

Mopar 73 74 75 76 Dart Sport / Duster Fold Down Seat Gas Fuel Tank Filler Neck | eBay

Mine had the 4 hole setup and this one is a 3 hole. 2 of the holes lined up and I drilled one new hole.

And it will fit even if you don’t have the fold down seat. Makes a bit more usable space in the trunk compared to a standard one too.

I believe the split was at ‘73 for the difference in the fuel filler flange, I know on my ‘71 Dart the original filler neck installed on the inside of the quarter. Both my ‘74 Duster and my old parts car ‘74 dart had fillers installed from the outside. You can interchange them, I used the ‘74 dart one on my ‘71 Dart, the bolt pattern is different. The ‘71 is a one year only fuel cap and really hard to find/expensive. With changing out the filler necks you just have to make sure you match the cap to the year range of the filler, and address whatever difference you’ve introduced with the tank venting if there’s a mismatch between the year of the tank and the filler/cap.

And it will fit even if you don’t have the fold down seat. Makes a bit more usable space in the trunk compared to a standard one too.

aQL6y7P.jpg

And if IIRC, it was your post that opened my eyes and got me to purchase that particular tube. :thankyou::thankyou:

I believe the split was at ‘73 for the difference in the fuel filler flange, I know on my ‘71 Dart the original filler neck installed on the inside of the quarter. Both my ‘74 Duster and my old parts car ‘74 dart had fillers installed from the outside. You can interchange them, I used the ‘74 dart one on my ‘71 Dart, the bolt pattern is different. The ‘71 is a one year only fuel cap and really hard to find/expensive. With changing out the filler necks you just have to make sure you match the cap to the year range of the filler, and address whatever difference you’ve introduced with the tank venting if there’s a mismatch between the year of the tank and the filler/cap.

Thank you for your help!

-
Back