Fuel filler overflow

-

BooBoo

Reaction score
I have a 66 valiant with a gas stain down the rear quarter. Any suggestions on how to stop the gas from over spilling . The gas nozzle seems to trip off just as it spills over. Do I need to modify the vent or maybe the filler tube. Any ideas will help. Tried going really slow but doesn't seem to help.

Short answer: Layson’s sells a filler neck that has been recored to unleaded pump size, so the shut off works correctly.

long answer: Old leaded gas pumps had a much larger diameter nozzle (that fit better in our filler necks). Unleaded nozzles are smaller, and use a clever little mechanical bit to evacuate some of the air in the tank as you fill it into a section of the nozzle. When you’ve filled the tank there’s no more air in it, and gas goes up the nozzle, shutting it off.

well, with such a large hole, you can fill up your tank and not trip that little mechanism until you’re well up into the filler neck, as there’s still air in the neck.

I take some paper towels and make a gasket of sorts between the nozzle and the opening of the tank inlet.

Take the towel and kind of roll it into a big dubie ( if only today was 4/20 this reference would be so much more pointed)

Wrap it around the nozzle tube and at the same time tuck it into the filler opening.

Works really well

I've done the rag and listening thing but don't catch it all the time. Will look into that layson fill tube. Thanks for the info

Short answer: Layson’s sells a filler neck that has been recored to unleaded pump size, so the shut off works correctly.

long answer: Old leaded gas pumps had a much larger diameter nozzle (that fit better in our filler necks). Unleaded nozzles are smaller, and use a clever little mechanical bit to evacuate some of the air in the tank as you fill it into a section of the nozzle. When you’ve filled the tank there’s no more air in it, and gas goes up the nozzle, shutting it off.

well, with such a large hole, you can fill up your tank and not trip that little mechanism until you’re well up into the filler neck, as there’s still air in the neck.
Went on layson site can't seem to find a filler tube for a 66 Valiant like you discribe.

-
Back