Fuel filter location

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Where would be the best place to locate an inline fuel filter? I don't have a hard line from the pump to the carb. Also, what's the best type, canister, see-through, etc?

Thanks

I prefer to run the see through filter and put it on between the pump and the carb on the pressure side of the fuel line so it doesn't add restriction to the suction side of the fuel pump inlet side....

For a daily driver I like a see threw one somewhere where I can take it on and off easily when it needs to be changed...

Where would be the best place to locate an inline fuel filter? I don't have a hard line from the pump to the carb. Also, what's the best type, canister, see-through, etc?

Thanks
Put it in the factory location.
Carburetion and Performance Diagnosis (Session 188) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
If you are using AN-fittings and good braided hose, put a support clamp on the route from the pump up.
If using rubber hose, then buy or bend up a hard line. It will be worth it.

Thanks
I personally don't like see through filters because they're plastic or worse yet glass. You would never see anything like that from the factory for good reason and nothing and nowhere in the fuel system would you ever see plastic.

I personally don't like see through filters because they're plastic or worse yet glass. You would never see anything like that from the factory for good reason and nothing and nowhere in the fuel system would you ever see plastic.
I agree to a certain extent. I think a plastic in line filter is not a good idea from a safety standpoint. I don't doubt that it's convenient to be able to see the fuel inside the filter, but after having a plastic filter leak on the glued seam and cause a fire in one of my cars, I'd go with a steel filter, and as much steel line as practical.
Nowadays, there is plastic everywhere in the fuel system, but I expect they are engineered to be more compatible with today's gas formulation.
It was a longtime ago, and i may be wrong, but I believe I recall clear plastic oem filters in pre '68 mopars.

Safer. It can't be easily cut. It doesn't burn. Self supporting.
Last longer. Will not deteriorate with heat, oil, fuel compenents, cleaning materials, etc.

-
Back