Fuel gauge in a 65 Dart

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Members, a thanks goes out to 65 Dartman and 65dartcharger for the help, parts, and advice on my recent battle with my 65 dart fuel and temp gauge. I replaced the sending unit, ohmed the sending unit wire, doubled up and checked the grounds, installed a new IVR4, and, finally, replaced the fuel gauge. The end result was a lot of money spent on the sending unit and the new IVR4 which turned out to be unnecessary. There is a copper clip into where the top bolt of the fuel gauge is installed. I took the clip out of the printed circuit board, cleaned the inside....green with corrosion....and "voila" my fuel gauge works great. Lots and lots of hair pulling, but, finally figured it out. Thanks Don and Ulf. sgrip65

They cut that hole in this board larger and square and used that odd clip instead of a nut, all to vent some heat out of the gauge with limiter inside. By 1967 they figured out this wasn't necessary. The 67 board has round hole, same speedy nut on the stud, and bakelite cap over the stud and nut. Cap looks much like a household wire nut.
You could have tossed the clip and put a 10-32 nut on the stud.

They cut that hole in this board larger and square and used that odd clip instead of a nut, all to vent some heat out of the gauge with limiter inside. By 1967 they figured out this wasn't necessary. The 67 board has round hole, same speedy nut on the stud, and bakelite cap over the stud and nut. Cap looks much like a household wire nut.
You could have tossed the clip and put a 10-32 nut on the stud.

Hello Redfish. Good to know!! We pick up valuable information each day on these old cars. Thank you for sharing your information. Seems like many early a-body owners battle the fuel gauge issue, but got it figured out...finally.

Hello Redfish. Good to know!! We pick up valuable information each day on these old cars. Thank you for sharing your information. Seems like many early a-body owners battle the fuel gauge issue, but got it figured out...finally.
A seasoned master tech from a Dodge dealership in Ohio moved here and worked with me at local ford dealership. He taught me much, including the instrument voltage limiter inside a 3 post gauge. That was early 1980s. Some earlier models had the limiter was inside the temperature gauge instead of inside the fuel gauge.

A seasoned master tech from a Dodge dealership in Ohio moved here and worked with me at local ford dealership. He taught me much, including the instrument voltage limiter inside a 3 post gauge. That was early 1980s. Some earlier models had the limiter was inside the temperature gauge instead of inside the fuel gauge.

Hey Redfish. Like they say....almost from the horse's mouth. It's great when one can learn from a master of a trade. Thanks for sharing. SGRIP65

-
Back