fuel gauge issue -'68 Barracuda

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
filled it up a couple days ago (which I probably have not done in a year or so). Anyway it seemed to stay at full mark for too long after I drove about half a tank so I tapped the ralleye dash bezel a little bit and needle began to move downward but it kept going to the empty mark. Tank has to be at least half full. Any ideas what may have caused this? I turned ign. on and off a couple times to see if it would start working but no dice. I think temp gauge is still working OK. Ammeter has never done much. Not sure what to check first. thnx for any tips.

What changes from stock have been done?

Aftermarket sender?

I would not tap the plastic. Again. Very easily "broken" and will cause more issues. Sender or gauge. Ivr is inside fool gauge.

Most common cause of sudden stop working is loose attaching nuts at gauge to circuit board but.... that wouldn't cause needle stuck at a position.
The sender is designed to fail to open. I've never seen a sender fail to closed or less than 10 ohms which would overheat a gauge. A failing limiter can overheat a gauge and that would be the gauge with least resistance, fuel gauge and full tank. Oil and temp would have read higher than normal. Then jarring the hot gauge caused a break in connection? Guessing is wasting time. Let us know what you find.

no changes form stock - original stuff. I'm sure all meant well but other comments are greek to me. Should I see if a wire is off somewhere? All I've done lately is top off the tank and add some lucas engine treatment..does that stuff eat sending units? Ammeter is still in line - will have to see if seems to be trying to work anyway. Temp I have disconnected and ran sending wire to an after market gauge cluster. Could filling it to max have cause sender to stick?

OK - ammeter , oil pressure, tach working ok. Is that the way a sending unit dies? first pegged then drops and stays at 'E'? can't recall - only had a few crap out on me many moons ago..

If you ground the sender wire at the sender for a few seconds and have someone watch the gauge if it rises it is most likely the sender or that connection.

we can try that -thnx. will try get under there soon - too much other stuff going on.

Last edited:
so I grouned it and with ignition on nothing happens on gauge -remains at E

OK - ammeter , oil pressure, tach working ok. Is that the way a sending unit dies? first pegged then drops and stays at 'E'? can't recall - only had a few crap out on me many moons ago..
You left out the "tapping on the rally dash bezel" part this time. May have jarred the terminal loose on the gauge. :) My BIL tried that on his chevy pickup. Looked like he used a baseball bat. LOL

well I tapped pretty gently- anyway I hope it is as simple as loose at terminal on gauge, though getting at that will not be easy I suppose. I have yet to ever get in to anything behind gauges. Could use some bulbs in a few spots also... any tips on exactly how to maybe tilt it forward enough to check stuff appreciated. thnx

-
Back