FUEL IN TANK PUMP ACCESS

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hellooooo FABO!

I am working on the 67 barracuda fastback. I am wondering what other members have done to access their connections to their in tank electric pumps. I have a 'Tanks Inc' and in tank pump. I am finding that the larger fingers and differential in the way have created a situation that needs a FABO solution! I am thinking of cutting through the trunk floor but at that junction there are two levels of sheet metal for at least half of the what would be hole. I could cut a little further towards the rear of the car to avoid what appears to be the sheet metal crossmember that the upper shock mounts to, but it seems like I would be crating a similar 'poor access' situation as the connections then would be just forward of the hole. Maybe getting super precision and using a hole saw just above the two access points and using rubber/plastic body grommets to fill after? Im looking for solutions and if possible......PICTURES!!

20211017_105737.jpg

20211017_105737.jpg
20211017_105802.jpg
20211017_105830.jpg

20211017_105802.jpg

20211017_105830.jpg

Last edited:
Photos are not visable.

Could you make a D shaped hole? ( So not to cut the crossmember)

Hellooooo FABO!

I am working on the 67 barracuda fastback. I am wondering what other members have done to access their connections to their in tank electric pumps. I have a 'Tanks Inc' and in tank pump. I am finding that the larger fingers and differential in the way have created a situation that needs a FABO solution! I am thinking of cutting through the trunk floor but at that junction there are two levels of sheet metal for at least half of the what would be hole. I could cut a little further towards the rear of the car to avoid what appears to be the sheet metal crossmember that the upper shock mounts to, but it seems like I would be crating a similar 'poor access' situation as the connections then would be just forward of the hole. Maybe getting super precision and using a hole saw just above the two access points and using rubber/plastic body grommets to fill after? Im looking for solutions and if possible......PICTURES!!

THANKS FABO!!!
Preview attachment 20211017_105830.jpg

View attachment 1715806742
20211017_105830.jpg
5 MBPreview attachment 20211017_105737.jpg

View attachment 1715806743
20211017_105737.jpg
4.3 MB
Preview attachment 20211017_105802.jpg

View attachment 1715806744
20211017_105802.jpg
4.9 MB
I also have a Tanks Inc fuel tank with in tank pump in my 68 Barracuda and wanted to put in access to the fuel pump. I too noticed that the sheet metal in that section was double thickness. But I figured with the cross member support that the shocks mount to in the same area it would still be plenty strong. I was able to add an opening to get to the fuel pump and remove it with out doing anything to the shock cross mount. I made a sheet metal cover held in place with regular sheet metal screws to cover the opening. I had considered making a thicker perimeter frame to mount around the opening to re add strength but have not done that yet. Currently I have carpet in the car that covers the fuel pump access area so I can’t get photos, but I plan to be in that area of the car later next week to address a fuel gauge accuracy issue. I can get photos then.

This is what i see when i click on your links.

View attachment 1715806865
Sonofa....I have usually been able to post pics from my phone but latelyhave been getting a "the end of the world is coming and someone is stealing your Credit card information" warning. But only when I access site on my phone. I must have clicked something wrong. Anyway, sorry about that. the pics are just of the tight space in between the top of the tank and the floor. I will have to figure out the pic thing though....without pics....it didnt happen:lol:

20211017_164837.jpg
You might be able to see them now. I did cut right along the 'doubled up' part of where the metal for the header comes together and am considering tacking it in a few places to sew it up. Ill make a piece and tech screw it in place for a cover. I have just enough room to come straight up if I have to access pump.

A couple side note questions if I may.....

Run a relay for this pump ya? Battery is in trunk so no problem, just have to wire a switched power to her.

Where do I run the tank vent up to?
where do I run the battery box vent to?

RAWK ON FABO!!!

Last edited:
Because your opening has very sharp corners, i would add a reinforcement frame to the opening and weld it in. Rounded corners distribute the stresses better and are less likely to crack in the future.

You could cut a frame out of 18 gauge with rounded corners and tack it in place

Because your opening has very sharp corners, i would add a reinforcement frame to the opening and weld it in. Rounded corners distribute the stresses better and are less likely to crack in the future.

You could cut a frame out of 18 gauge with rounded corners and tack it in place
I like it!!

View attachment 1715806921 You might be able to see them now. I did cut right along the 'doubled up' part of where the metal for the header comes together and am considering tacking it in a few places to sew it up. Ill make a piece and tech screw it in place for a cover. I have just enough room to come straight up if I have to access pump.

A couple side note questions if I may.....

Run a relay for this pump ya? Battery is in trunk so no problem, just have to wire a switched power to her.

Where do I run the tank vent up to?
where do I run the battery box vent to?

RAWK ON FABO!!!
The photo from
clementine is exactly how mine looks also. Except that I rounded the corners to not have stress concentrators. An easy way to do that is to drill a 3/8 inch hole at each corner prior to doing any cutting. Then use the metal saw of your choice to connect the holes back toward the mid point to the outer edge of the hole so you end up with a nice radius. File off any sharp edges.
On the fuel out and return connectors. I am running the same size fuel line and connectors on both sides, I put a drop of paint on the fuel line out connector and the pump connector, to make it easy to match them up correctly if I am in there for a repair. So one pair that go together are marked and the other pair are not.

Last edited:
-
Back