{{{ fuel ine size }}}

-

rickstershemi

It's True....I'm Nutz
Reaction score
Anyone still running the stock 5/16" stock fuel line with there stroker moders...????? I'm real lazy and the fuel system on the Valiant is in awesome condition, I'm keeping the stock tank and would rather not upgrade the sending unit and fuel line if I can get away with the stock setup...????? I did bolt a new Carter Hi-Volume mechanical pump on the 408 8)

LOL....I know I probably should go to 3/8" but don't want to :angry7:

Rickster

Anyone still running the stock 5/16" stock fuel line with there stroker moders...????? I'm real lazy and the fuel system on the Valiant is in awesome condition, I'm keeping the stock tank and would rather not upgrade the sending unit and fuel line if I can get away with the stock setup...????? I did bolt a new Carter Hi-Volume mechanical pump on the 408 8)

LOL....I know I probably should go to 3/8" but don't want to :angry7:

Rickster

3/8" is the way to go

Switched my dusters fuel system over to 3/8" when i put the stroker in,would have went 1/2",but those sending units for stock tanks weren't available at the time...

I have no choice. I have to convert the efi system to work with a bypass regulator and also install a return line. The cost of fittings and lines will be an easy 250-300 bucks.
But I am doing it all in 3/8. If you have to do it all over, you might as well. Not much of a cost difference between the two.

But if you dont, does anyone have a good argument for the 5/16?
If it's in great condition...and I know where rick is coming from, it's a tough pill to swallow having to do it all over. It's definitely a tough call since he's feeding two carbs.

I have no choice. I have to convert the efi system to work with a bypass regulator and also install a return line. The cost of fittings and lines will be an easy 250-300 bucks.
But I am doing it all in 3/8. If you have to do it all over, you might as well. Not much of a cost difference between the two.

But if you dont, does anyone have a good argument for the 5/16?

If it's in great condition...and I know where rick is coming from, it's a tough pill to swallow having to do it all over. It's definitely a tough call since he's feeding two carbs.

This is what I'm thinking.....what started me thinking is.....my old 440-6 pack had 5/16 fuel line from the factory....????? Well.....I might just try it out and change it later if need be....??????

Rickster

This is what I'm thinking.....what started me thinking is.....my old 440-6 pack had 5/16 fuel line from the factory....????? Well.....I might just try it out and change it later if need be....??????

Rickster
ha! not from the tank to the pump it didn't.. no fricken way
5/16th is fatorymendo. pump to carb(s), yep.

Rick, it's not going to hurt to try. It's not like it can't be changed later on if it's not adequate.

I was getting crap from people for reusing my stock tank and efi pump with a bypass reg instead of 300 dollars of fuel lines, fittings, a 250 dollar fuel cell, and 150 dollars of pump and regulator...but they're not the one's paying for it!!! you gotta love the peanut gallery.

My philosophy is if what you have works, then who gives a ****?
See how it works since it's all in great shape, and if it does, keep it.
Money can always be spent elsewhere since there is always something else you need!

Rick, it's not going to hurt to try. It's not like it can't be changed later on if it's not adequate.

I was getting crap from people for reusing my stock tank and efi pump with a bypass reg instead of 300 dollars of fuel lines, fittings, a 250 dollar fuel cell, and 150 dollars of pump and regulator...but they're not the one's paying for it!!! you gotta love the peanut gallery.

My philosophy is if what you have works, then who gives a ****?
See how it works since it's all in great shape, and if it does, keep it.
Money can always be spent elsewhere since there is always something else you need!

Oh hell you know I'm goint to run it for now....everything is too neat....nothing to throw a bigger line in later and upgrade the sending unit, I just like all the stock mounts and trying to keep it that way, it might never go down a track.....anyway it will never get a roll bar or cage....out doubt it will need to be upgraded....only time will tell 8)

Rickster

the guys I bought my last 340 from went 11.60 with 5/16 and a carter pump.

the guys I bought my last 340 from went 11.60 with 5/16 and a carter pump.

Have been searching and finding a lot of that....I'm feeling better with leaving it alone....thanks guys 8)

Rickster

It's a bunch easier to get fuel to the front with a 3/8" line, especially when using a mechanical pump.

I ran the factory 5 /16th with the dual quads, made 320 at the wheels with my 360.

went to 3/8 for the fuel injection

I woust get the car running with what you have, update it when you can.

Just up psi some.

Everybody's always wanting to upgrade when really it's unnecessary most of time, like if it says 'race' on it, it must be good....

While in -MO-yes there is consideration in that it has dual carbs..
I know a lot of people still running 5/16 including myself, from built 440's, 451's,410's ect..
I bury the speed-o into the 120mph mark on wot runs, I've never ran out of fuel and thats with a stock pump-5 1/2-6psi

Really one of the main ways to find anyhow is to try it before and after or have some gauge in the car to see the drop while also regulating the psi-meanwhile obviously paying attention to any premature laying over/flatting or basically cacking out in the R's.

but what do I know...

going to a 3/8th from the tank to the pump is just an extra margin
of safey from going lean.

blow through a narrow straw slowly.. fairly easy to do,
now try it fast... a little harder to do and the force required
goes up the faster the air runs through it. same thing applies
to fluids.

Reminds me of cylinder depression and port cs/total volume.
in otherwords the psi go's up-stick a 7 psi pump 3/8 outlet on a 5/16 line...
so were taliking parasitic drag now?
I'm not worried about heat from comp the fuel at this point and the pump is mechanical and will do what it does or break [not]
like oil pumps...HV, well volume turns into more psi some because the orifice is the same, trying to pump more through a smaller hole, though now parasitic drag is prominate , but your dealing with 200+* oil and compressing heat into it.. lil diff there.

Like I said, you'll have to find out 1st.

Don't take this wrong but with some it's a slippery slope of spending big on 'insurance' and really just wasting money in the end on overkill, kinda like that $240 a month payment I make....

Just gotta run it 1st.JMO

BTW All points are valid, but none of us have a crystal ball.
whats the redline?

What's your bet on psi loss?

as in now what pump do you recommend to go with the 3/8 line?

I'm not sure off hand how much psi you'll lose going a given amount bigger, but someone on here knows.

so 3/8 sender, new hard line, new fuel pump=$$$

well the OP did buy a new Carter Hi-Volume mechanical pump. sooooo I'm betting it already has 3/8ths in/out.
if not who cares? but a couple $1 adapters from home depot.

take out the old sender and add a 3/8th line. cost: some solder, and a piece of 3/8ths tubing,
and a little time.

I'm running 112 mph and have been a 1.59 60' with the stock lines. Granted I only have one carburetor to feed.

However, if its not going on the track, and you're not going to see high G-force launches or extended , highly inadvisable on public roads WOT blasts, I think you'll be fine. I'd definitely try it and see before I spend the scratch.

Just keep checking the carbs for rust particles!

Steve

Well your gonna love this.....pulled the sending unit from the tank today and although it looked like new from the exterior I guess 42 years of service has taken it's toll.....it's junk.......sooooo, an upgrade to 3/8 is the plan 8)

Rickster

Well your gonna love this.....pulled the sending unit from the tank today and although it looked like new from the exterior I guess 42 years of service has taken it's toll.....it's junk.......sooooo, an upgrade to 3/8 is the plan 8)

Rickster

explain what junk means?
I'm just curious.

I have original senders on cars older than that.

-
Back