fuel leaking from holley carb after shutdown

-

duster360

Reaction score
What would cause fuel to leak from the carb down into the intake after the engine is shutoff?

could be the float level is too high, that'd be the 1st thing I'd check

Too high, should just barely dribble out of the hole, if sight glass removed.

Blown/leaking power valve. Wrong/bad gaskets.

Had this happen with 3 different carbs. The first one was a new vacuum secondary holley. Then I rebuilt and installed a holley DP. New one now is an AED DP. All three of them had this same issue.

Last edited:
hum, what am I missing here. too high, should be at the bottom

It has the large sight glasses. AED says that is where they prefer the fuel level. When they told me this, I was discussing things in general with them when I bought the carb, not about the issue I am having. May not be working for my application though. Maybe I should try the insulator and lower the level a little.

Last edited:
I have decided to go with one of these but not sure which. My intake is Edelbrock Airgap. Should I get the 4 hole and modify it into a dual plane or just get the single hole.
3106794.jpg
3926707.jpg

Open will be fine. U may have too much fuel pressure. Kim
I am currently using a Carter mechanical pump regulated to 6 1/2 psi I got from Mancini. I have also tried the 5 psi stock pump from the local parts store with the same results.

Isn't that just a metal shield ?
The spacer most use is of insulating material to help stop transfer of heat.
Black phenol, or wood has been used ,
Google it,

Yes,it’s a shield the keeps heat off the fuel bowls. They have been around since the 70s. They do help a lot. The thick gasket/spacer is prolly better. Kim

I run an open plate I made and added a shield up front to keep the heat from the upper radiator hose off the primary bowl. I also run a 1" 4 hole phenolic spacer.

000_0303.JPG

Actually it is 2 pieces of aluminum with a polymer in between to dissapate the heat.

-
Back